Search

QF vs EK Frequent Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
QF vs EK Frequent Flyer

Dear all,

Sorry if this has been posted before. I am currently silver with both Qantas and Air New Zealand and have that status until June 2016. I'm close to gold with Air NZ and should make it, but I won't with QF.

I am now living in Singapore and the last 8 flights I have taken have been QF tickets but on EK metal. I am thinking is it worth moving to EK Skywards since I'm on EK metal most of the time?

Most flights I am going on are to the UK or Aus/NZ so Emirates operates all those routes. Is Skywards a better programme than QFF?

I would appreciate any advice.

Best,

T
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tm84
I am now living in Singapore and the last 8 flights I have taken have been QF tickets but on EK metal. I am thinking is it worth moving to EK Skywards since I'm on EK metal most of the time?
What do you mean by "QF tickets"?
You need to be clear on QF or EK marketed (flight number) and QF or EK operated. This effects the earning.

QF is a poor ffp, especially if you do not live in Australia.
What do you want from a ffp? What other airlines & flights?
EK miles have a hard expiry "Your Skywards Miles are valid for three years from the date your earning activity is completed."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mwenenzi.

Sorry not to be more clear, they are QF ticketed flights that are operated by EK. I earn QFF points as if I was flying on QF metal.

I am flying a lot more with work on mainly QF bought tickets (but operated by EK) or *A on either Air NZ or Singapore Airlines. I credit all *A to my Air NZ account but can't decide if I should book these EK operated flights through Emirates so I'd earn Skywards miles rather than QFF points.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry not to be more clear, they are QF ticketed flights that are operated by EK. I earn QFF points as if I was flying on QF metals.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What do you mean by "QF tickets"?
You need to be clear on QF or EK marketed (flight number) and QF or EK operated. This effects the earning.
If you earn QF points they are QF marketed. To some people "ticketed" means who sold (bought) the ticket:- that's not important. Who the marketing carrier and the operating carrier is what is important.

QF is a poor ffp. But Air NZ is hopeless ffp for most people. Hard to find a worse FFP. Far better star alliance ffps are available.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I'm happy with Air NZ as I have been lucky with recognition upgrades and one-up upgrades. Plus they are really the only *A airline I fly with.

My issue is deciding on what to do with QF and EK. Is it better to just book the tickets with an EK flight number and earn EK Skywards miles as the flights I am taking are usually operated by EK? Is the EK ffp a good one?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:21 pm

Thanks.

I'm happy with Air NZ as I have been lucky with recognition upgrades and one-up upgrades. Plus they are really the only *A airline I fly with.

My issue is deciding on what to do with QF and EK. Is it better to just book the tickets with an EK flight number and earn EK Skywards miles as the flights I am taking are usually operated by EK? Is the EK ffp a good one?
EK is no better than QF given the new fare structure.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks edy4eva. I've just booked my flights to Europe with QF so going to stay with them.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: AirNZ silver; Qantas Platinum; Emirates Silver.
Let me chip in on this.

Personally I think if you are choosing to go with either Qantas or Emirates FF, n fly Qantas ticketed flights often (whether it's Ek or QF metal), I would go with QFF, for the following reasons

1) you are already with QF n close to gold
2) QF is part of One World so opens up a lot more possibilities when you travel, whereas EK is not in any major alliance but is partner with a few other airlines incl QF.
3) when u reach QF gold, u have access to all One World lounges and their respective perks when u travel with OW airline, whereas if you are EK gold u really only get benefits travelling on EK marketed flights.

If I were you, I will stay with Air NZ too as part of *A, unless u want to explore Singapore FF since you are based there now.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Dear all,

I'm close to gold with Air NZ and should make it, but I won't with QF.

Most flights I am going on are to the UK or Aus/NZ so Emirates operates all those routes. Is Skywards a better programme than QFF?
If you are sure you won't make gold on Qantas, it might be worth working out if you would make silver on Emirates (this would give you lounge access in Dubai). Four and a half returns from London to Sydney on the cheapest tickets would get you silver emirates status, if you're on fully flex tickets then one return would nearly do it.

Also, it depends on what you want to do with your miles and if you can add to them from any other methods (credit cards, hire cars, shopping, etc.); book flights? buy things? upgrades?

One other thing - Emirates may give you Silver status as a match, according to statusmatcher there's a 58% chance. http://www.statusmatcher.com/company/21325
I'm not sure if this will help you or not but it might give you something more to think about.

Last edited by stevejnr; Apr 9, 2015 at 9:01 am Reason: Had extra info
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks soulighter and stevejnr for your posts.

I've retained QF silver for the next year (my renewal date is the end of May) and already have a number of flights ticketed for QF so should make gold next year.

My credit card in Singapore earns me Krisflyer miles but flying on SQ metal out of Singapore for some reason is usually double than any other airlines so think I will stick with Air NZ Airpoints.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
... flying on SQ metal out of Singapore for some reason is usually double than any other airlines so think I will stick with Air NZ Airpoints.
That's called a captive market Tip: flying SQ KUL-SIN-LHR is often much cheaper than the same date/flight SIN-LHR etc. So if you can afford the time loop via KUL when flying SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.