Search

Burn QF but earn BA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Plat; BA Gold; Etihad Gold
Burn QF but earn BA?

Hi all

Apologies if this is a silly/often asked question ( I did search), but is it possible to fly QF, use QF points to upgrade but credit the flight towards BA Executive Club?

Background is I am still QF platinum until Nov (despite having 0 SC last year). As I have moved to London, I have joined BAEC (most trvel is now within Europe or to NY). I travel back to melbourne about 3 - 4 times a year, usually BA/CX, but I was wondering if I could fly Qantas, earn BAEC miles and tier credits, but use the points I have with Qantas to upgrade to F?

Thank you in advance

PT
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had my AA ff number in the reservation on QF flights and used my QF points to upgrade my "brother", as they do not have "self" as an eligible family member
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by politetraveller
Hi all

Apologies if this is a silly/often asked question ( I did search), but is it possible to fly QF, use QF points to upgrade but credit the flight towards BA Executive Club?
Upgrading with QF means the flight will be booked in P (and ticket reissued) which is a booking class that does NOT earn miles/points with partners. QF credit based on original fare class because that's explicit in their terms and conditions. There's no such provision in BA (and even QF) for earning base miles for partner flights that had been upgraded.

But that doesn't obliterate the chance that QF's system may credit the base points to BA.
After your upgrade is processed you'll need to change the FF number in the booking (can be done on RJ or AY websites). Then again, don't be surprised if it doesn't work and points disappear into the abyss.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I believe the OP was asking if they could use QF points to upgrade on a QF flight but credit the travel in the original revenue booking class to BAEC.

If that is the case, post #2 infers the correct answer.

Here more on how to do it.

* Using BA MYB, ensure the BAEC executive number is correctly inserted into the PNR.

* Log on to your Qantas.com account.

* Go to "Your bookings" and use the "Upgrade a Family" member option towards the bottom centre of the page. For oneself, you may as well use Brother (or Sister).

There may be issues with BAEC crediting P, but they should (eventually) do so based on the original ticketed Business booking fare bucket class (J C D I).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
It's been awhile, but I was successful in upgrading SIN-PER on QF (one of the last uses of a 743 thus massive amounts of J space) while crediting to AA. Actually earned more than I should have...

Worst case is supply both eticket numbers to AA and let them work it out.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:55 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes it is possible, I have upgraded from J to F with QF points and then changed the FF number at checkin to BA and was correctly awarded J avios/TP's.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Upgrading with QF means the flight will be booked in P (and ticket reissued) which is a booking class that does NOT earn miles/points with partners. QF credit based on original fare class because that's explicit in their terms and conditions. There's no such provision in BA (and even QF) for earning base miles for partner flights that had been upgraded.

But that doesn't obliterate the chance that QF's system may credit the base points to BA.
After your upgrade is processed you'll need to change the FF number in the booking (can be done on RJ or AY websites). Then again, don't be surprised if it doesn't work and points disappear into the abyss.
This is not my experience.

I've upgraded many flights using QF miles but credited to BA and it does not require changing of FF numbers. As advised further up the thread, just list the upgrade as being your "brother" or "sister" and all should be ok. It is very risky changing FF numbers after check-in and I would advise against it. Obviously your BA status won't count for much in the upgrade queue, but I've never even had to apply for a retro credit this way - the system handles things using the original fare class.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I've upgraded many flights using QF miles but credited to BA and it does not require changing of FF numbers. As advised further up the thread, just list the upgrade as being your "brother" or "sister" and all should be ok.
I've also seen this work with no hassle.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Plat; BA Gold; Etihad Gold
Thanks everyone, very helpful!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by politetraveller
Thanks everyone, very helpful!
Some of it was, some less so.

Dave
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:50 pm

I organise this for my employer, one of those dreadful P1 types (..are there any other types?). In order to maximise his chances of an upgrade I use his QF number in the booking and then when the upgrade has cleared, usually seven days out for International, I change the FF number in the booking to his BA number. (I use the Finnair or Royal Jordanian site.) His recent QF1 upgrade to First, from Business credited as Business to BA without any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.