Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:54 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
The big question is, will the F lounge actually reopen today?

I ended up canceling my flights. But am hopeful for those still flying. This week sounded very vague and iffy. Good luck!
See prior posts in this thread- not going to be today but 8/11 for evening hours and then 8/15 for full schedule
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
The big question is, will the F lounge actually reopen today?!
It's to reopen on August 11 with limited hours and go to full hours on August 14. Today is August 8.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by dw
See prior posts in this thread- not going to be today but 8/11 for evening hours and then 8/15 for full schedule
Thanks! --- I had missed those.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Is there any clear cut definitive info as to if AA Transcon in F gets you in. Talking JFK or BOS of course or 77W to Miami, though that isnt running now.

I've heard yes and no to people getting in on FF to JFK and would like to know what are the actual rules.

I was turned away wrongly from this lounge twice before Covid. Once was arriving on OW F and connecting to Phoenix. Was told to go use FL. The other time was flying to DFW I believe to catch BA F and that time I was told its ONLY for departing flights.

I was told to go look at the Qantas website page for the rules and in fact it does say for departing flights only.

But thats total BS b/c its a OW lounge and we know tons of people get in upon arriving or connecting.

Why cant these people get it straight and make it easy? The Transcon situation is the one where I can see them saying No though since thats a special AA deal for those routes being considered different.

The obvious distinction causing the issues with access to this lounge is simply is it a Qantas lounge or a OW lounge & clearly it has the OW emblem right there behind the front desk as I recall.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Aug 8, 2022 at 6:59 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Is there any clear cut definitive info as to if AA Transcon in F gets you in. Talking JFK or BOS of course or 77W to Miami, though that isnt running now.

I've heard yes and no to people getting in on FF to JFK and would like to know what are the actual rules.

I was turned away wrongly from this lounge twice before Covid. Once was arriving on OW F and connecting to Phoenix. Was told to go use FL. The other time was flying to DFW I believe to catch BA F and that time I was told its ONLY for departing flights.

I was told to go look at the Qantas website page for the rules and in fact it does say for departing flights only.

But thats total BS b/c its a OW lounge and we know tons of people get in upon arriving or connecting.

Why cant these people get it straight and make it easy? The Transcon situation is the one where I can see them saying No though since thats a special AA deal for those routes being considered different.

The obvious distinction causing the issues with access to this lounge is simply is it a Qantas lounge or a OW lounge & clearly it has the OW emblem right there behind the front desk as I recall.
I'm not aware of any exceptions to the rules for AA and AS elites. A premium transcon is still a domestic flight. Unless you're flying in and connecting on an OW-operated flight, I don't think you'll have access.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not aware of any exceptions to the rules for AA and AS elites. A premium transcon is still a domestic flight. Unless you're flying in and connecting on an OW-operated flight, I don't think you'll have access.
Departure Access should be available for those in First on three class domestic AA flights. This is a class of service based access.

Check the Wiki.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 10, 2022 at 12:22 am
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by serfty
Access should be available for those in First on three class domestic AA flights.

Check the Wiki.
OP mentioned arrival as well. Is that true?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
OP mentioned arrival as well. Is that true?
I got denied on arrival of an actual OW international F. Just a bad agent.

Arrival on an AA transcon F I hadnt even thought about. Be great. But for now I'd take just departing on the Transcon.

I remember reading many people saying they got denied on that pre Covid although some saying they got in.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:11 am

Are children still admitted free? Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Are children still admitted free? Thanks
Not under oneWorld rules. It's the OWE and one guest. No families.

Qantas is known to allow it, but you would need to be traveling on a Qantas flight.
dw and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:53 pm

I apologize if this is a bit off topic, but I’m assuming that the Qantas lounge is preferable over the AA Flagship lounge? I haven’t been to either at LAX and honestly am looking for the best quality champagne and alcohol for my lounge experience, lol - the food is secondary.

Flying SEA-LAX-LHR-DXB in AS and BA J, OWE in mid August. Connecting AS flight arrives in T6 and departing BA in TBIT about a 2 hour layover.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by AinthePNW
I apologize if this is a bit off topic, but I’m assuming that the Qantas lounge is preferable over the AA Flagship lounge? I haven’t been to either at LAX and honestly am looking for the best quality champagne and alcohol for my lounge experience, lol - the food is secondary.

Flying SEA-LAX-LHR-DXB in AS and BA J, OWE in mid August. Connecting AS flight arrives in T6 and departing BA in TBIT about a 2 hour layover.
I wouldnt even walk into FL if you can get into Qantas F. Even if food isnt your thing (Qantas would have a la carte dining whereas FL has average at best buffet). Also, the one champagne I love by AA is the LPGS but its only in FFD which of course is still closed (maybe forever closed) at LAX.

The FL also is so blah Imo and boring and small.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry...just to clarify...AA Emerald, Flagship business LAX-JFK. will I have access?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I wouldnt even walk into FL if you can get into Qantas F. Even if food isnt your thing (Qantas would have a la carte dining whereas FL has average at best buffet). Also, the one champagne I love by AA is the LPGS but its only in FFD which of course is still closed (maybe forever closed) at LAX.

The FL also is so blah Imo and boring and small.
That was my guess based upon reviews of the lounges. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying
Sorry...just to clarify...AA Emerald, Flagship business LAX-JFK. will I have access?
Flagship business LAX-JFK will give you access to the Flagship Lounge. AA Emerald has no bearing; it will not get you into QF F Lounge. You need to be a non-AA, non-AS Emerald to get into the QF F Lounge on status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.