Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

7,200 status credits = platinum one for two years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

Question: Would Qantas give me Platinum One for two years if I hit 7,200 status credits in a single membership year?

Context: I'm about 2,500 SC away from 7,200 and 5 months left to earn them. I know I get the 50,000 mile bonus at 5,000 and 75,000 at 7,000 (less exciting for me)

I'm already Virgin Platinum, but I get really excited by the 1.3:1 transfer rate to SQ... And I earn 20,000 points for a SYD-PER one-way on Virgin (instead of 5,800 or so on QF).

Is it worthwhile to stick around QF?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:39 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
You'll get P1 for the remainder of your current membership year and then the following membership year.

The big point of difference between Qantas and Virgin is that Qantas has life time status. with 7,200 SCs you're more than half way there to LT Gold. (And you've attained LT Silver.)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Good gravy. You'd have to be close to QF's highest SC earner (not counting the VA spend/SC's!).. do you ever see home?

I suspect they would just keep you at P1 for the next year, but given the obvious huge accural you would be treated very specially I imagine.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
With almost 5,000 SCs in 7 months, as well as VA Platinum, CX Gold and double Star Alliance Gold, I would have thought the accumulation of further status would be academic!
Revenge likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Good gravy. You'd have to be close to QF's highest SC earner (not counting the VA spend/SC's!).. do you ever see home?

I suspect they would just keep you at P1 for the next year, but given the obvious huge accural you would be treated very specially I imagine.
Perhaps, but have a low earning year and the special treatment disappears. At least it did for me after I earned 7,000 SCs in just a couple of months followed by much lesser earning years (enough for WP requal). Admittedly this pre-dated the existence of P1 so may be different now.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Perhaps, but have a low earning year and the special treatment disappears. At least it did for me after I earned 7,000 SCs in just a couple of months followed by much lesser earning years (enough for WP requal). Admittedly this pre-dated the existence of P1 so may be different now.
It was apparent that once the bulk of my SC's started coming from non QF travel much of the perceived 'special' treatment diminished.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
It was apparent that once the bulk of my SC's started coming from non QF travel much of the perceived 'special' treatment diminished.
Did this event occur in around 2010 / 2011? If so it isn't the source of your credits, I can assure you that the perceived "special treatment" diminished for all elites at around this time!!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Dunno, in 2008 I was given the privilege to upgrade 2 PAX on QF107 SYD-JFK (for 192K) on a flight that had been showing J0 for weeks.

After 2009 the upgrades seemed to stop happening - maybe the introduction of a PCV made a difference.

It's conjecture I guess.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

I "only" spent 180 nights in a hotel last year. ;-). I think I'll email them direct and see what happens.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:59 am

Thats an impressive amount of SC's & good luck in QF giving you P1 for an extra year, never hurts to ask just as long as 5400 of them have been on QF metal?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
I "only" spent 180 nights in a hotel last year. ;-). I think I'll email them direct and see what happens.
I spent 85 nights in hotels for business last year and I finished the year feeling jaded from the travel (irrespective of class of travel it is a painful work necessity). Another 95? Bugger that!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:53 pm

I'm feeling jaded and I've just hit 1500SC's in 6 months. I'm nothing to you guys phew.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:36 am

I'm feeling jaded and I've just hit 1500SC's in 6 months. I'm nothing to you guys phew.
I think number of flights are the better measure of the road warrior, and the more in Y the sadder! Sat next to a guy late last year from Adelaide to Perth who had done that sector every week alone (forget onward and other flights). Told me that he did over 220 flights a year, mainly in Y. Poor bugger!

Irrespective of the travel component half a year in hotels is a disaster in my eyes!!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Dunno how you guys do it, I have been away for 7 nights, about to be 8, then home for one night, then away for two weeks. If it wasn't for the tennis I'd be mad!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:20 pm

220 Y sectors? yes.. yeah it's a good point re both number of sectors and CoS..

I only did 54 segments last year, and 4 so far this year so yeah, I got it easy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.