FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Select on Q Eat - Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1627961-select-q-eat-economy.html)

BadgerBoi Nov 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by eoinnz (Post 23833021)
The dessert (which is the chocolate mousse ) is served along with the main meal. The ice cream is in addition afterwards. That's exactly how it is offered today. The only thing that dissapears is the side salad. Such a tiny salad was quite expensive to have made and wasn't particularly filling so that money is spent on a larger mains.

Mid-flight snacks are the same as they are now like cheese and crackers, malteasers and the mini sliders.

Select on Q works from the menu that is served but will allow you to gaurantee your choice. Crew check which passengers have pre ordered and simply put a sticker on that meal. You'll get served as normal when the cart comes out. One menu option will be exclusive to online. You should never have to miss out on your choice again!!!

I'm impressed by your optimism. I'm not the only one who has found Q Eats to be a total fail.

whughes3 Nov 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 23828383)
In my case they couldn't get it right in J on an A330, good luck with them coping in a packed economy class cabin. I wouldn't go with Q Eat again.

I can only comment that I use this almost every time I fly, and have never had a problem. Your experience would appear to be an exception.

BadgerBoi Nov 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by whughes3 (Post 23833426)
I can only comment that I use this almost every time I fly, and have never had a problem. Your experience would appear to be an exception.

perhaps, but my experience is by no means unique - I'm not the first person to have commented on this either here or on AFF. Good for you if you've never had a problem, me, once bitten twice shy.

Globaliser Nov 13, 2014 1:03 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 23833533)
Good for you if you've never had a problem, me, once bitten twice shy.

Does this mean you've only tried it once, and it failed on that occasion?

Or is this just a figure of speech for the fact that you've used it many times and it's failed every time?

poopbunny Nov 13, 2014 1:39 am

Here is a link from today's NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11358001

Not only will meals be bigger by 50 per cent but there will be more choice for passengers, especially those who pre-order online who will have access to a fourth "exclusive" dish such as wagyu beef. Trays will go as part of a business class-style food service, with meals served and cleared more quickly when passengers have finished.

There must be a Wagyu glut if they were going to offer it in Y.

BadgerBoi Nov 13, 2014 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 23834741)
Does this mean you've only tried it once, and it failed on that occasion?

Or is this just a figure of speech for the fact that you've used it many times and it's failed every time?

I've tried it a number of times and it's failed twice, which is enough to make it an unacceptable ratio. The first time they handled things well, replaced the wrong courses with the correct ones but they couldn't tell me what went wrong. I put that down to one of those things.

When it happened a second time (as mentioned here) and the cabin crew weren't as interested I just figured I'd give up on Q Eats.

So I guess my figure of speech was wrong. I've been bitten twice and I really can't be bothered with it again.

Globaliser Nov 13, 2014 4:42 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 23835102)
I've tried it a number of times and it's failed twice, which is enough to make it an unacceptable ratio. ...

So I guess my figure of speech was wrong. I've been bitten twice and I really can't be bothered with it again.

Thanks - that's helpful to know.

m0hamed Nov 13, 2014 4:56 am

I'm trying it this weekend so will report back.

IMOA Nov 15, 2014 12:29 am

I've tried it once (WP flying J) and it is was completely ignored, when that happens on the first attempt there is a creates a significant 'why bother' attitude.

m0hamed Nov 15, 2014 5:39 pm

We used it on a flight this weekend. Made our orders 4 days in advance. I changed my mind and selected a different small and large plate around 3 days in advance.

Rather than the J FA who were serving us the galley FA come up, introduced herself and confirmed our choices prior to the other FAs taking the other pax's orders. They only had our initial orders, no record of the change, however she was able to change them without any issue.

As I expected, I told my partner not to order the cheese plate as a small plate as it was almost always offered as a dessert. So just beware you may be forgoing a small plate if you choose this.

PaulST Nov 15, 2014 11:37 pm

Sounds good but it would have to be a logistics nightmare for the FAs. Last time I used Q eat (Y+ QF63) there appeared to be no mention of what I'd ordered although I think I managed to request what I wanted anyway.

BadgerBoi Nov 16, 2014 1:30 am

Originally Posted by PaulST (Post 23848579)
Sounds good but it would have to be a logistics nightmare for the FAs. Last time I used Q eat (Y+ QF63) there appeared to be no mention of what I'd ordered although I think I managed to request what I wanted anyway.

It's disappointing that nothing posted here has encouraged me to risk using Q Eat again.

Finnair has a similar system and it worked beautifully for me. When the FAs were taking orders they said each time "you've ordered (whatever)" and they got it right each time. Admittedly my Finnair sample is smaller than my Qantas one, but I'll be pre-ordering with AY on my next trip.

dddc Nov 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 23848783)
It's disappointing that nothing posted here has encouraged me to risk using Q Eat again.

I'm not sure, but why would it be a risk? If it worked, great, you'd get what you wanted. If it didn't you'd be in the same position as if Q Eat didn't exist, ie getting your choice of what's available.

BadgerBoi Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dddc (Post 23850871)
I'm not sure, but why would it be a risk? If it worked, great, you'd get what you wanted. If it didn't you'd be in the same position as if Q Eat didn't exist, ie getting your choice of what's available.

Or as in my case sit there with a lettuce leaf and a bread roll while the FAs studiously ignore you for the entrée, then give you something that you don't want and can't eat for your main.

Choice of what's available? I don't think their marketing team would go for your idea of calling it Q Leftovers.

og Nov 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 23850943)
Or as in my case sit there with a lettuce leaf and a bread roll while the FAs studiously ignore you for the entrée, then give you something that you don't want and can't eat for your main.

It'll be even worse for you now that the salad has been discontinued (IIRC from a previous posting). :(