Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Select on Q Eat - Economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Select on Q Eat - Economy

It appears that Qantas will be offering pax the option of choosing their meal on the group up to 12 hrs before their flight in International Economy.

Will be interesting to see it pan out considering the logistics, seat changes, etc.

Does anyone know anything more about the changes? Cant seem to find any more info other than the youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31-hr...Oql21g&index=1
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by nukegrove
It appears that Qantas will be offering pax the option of choosing their meal on the group up to 12 hrs before their flight in International Economy.

Will be interesting to see it pan out considering the logistics, seat changes, etc.

Does anyone know anything more about the changes? Cant seem to find any more info other than the youtube video.

In my case they couldn't get it right in J on an A330, good luck with them coping in a packed economy class cabin. I wouldn't go with Q Eat again.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
In my case they couldn't get it right in J on an A330, good luck with them coping in a packed economy class cabin. I wouldn't go with Q Eat again.
Exactly, I can understand this sort of offering on J or F but I'm a little curious as to how they will manage the logistics of it all in such a large cabin.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:54 pm

Exactly, I can understand this sort of offering on J or F but I'm a little curious as to how they will manage the logistics of it all in such a large cabin.
In my case in J the FA clearly knew that Qantas had stuffed it up. He approached me with my meal from behind, dumped it on my tray and fled before I had the chance to look at it, let alone ask him w t f he was trying to serve me. Double fail, both from the technology and the FA who didn't want to deal with my dissatisfaction. It would just be hilarious to see how it worked in whY.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Nov 11, 2014 at 8:57 pm Reason: FT software bans the use of W*T*F - really? Puritans.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No trays....continual grazing. Does this mean less food unless you fight for it in bar areas?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
No trays....continual grazing. Does this mean less food unless you fight for it in bar areas?
huh? Don't quite get what you mean.

IME it was the same amount of food, just not what I'd asked for.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:00 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

So should we avoid ordering in advance?

I don't understand how they can get it wrong.

They try to entice people with their 'online exclusive' but I don't want beef carpaccio as a 'main plate.'
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
In my case in J the FA clearly knew that Qantas had stuffed it up. He approached me with my meal from behind, dumped it on my tray and fled before I had the chance to look at it, let alone ask him w t f he was trying to serve me. Double fail, both from the technology and the FA who didn't want to deal with my dissatisfaction. It would just be hilarious to see how it worked in whY.
So, what happened, other than what the FA did? I.e. What did you order and what was dumped on the tray? I am curious as to why the FA was running off! Was it something really awful and weird that turned up, like baby food?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)

Well maybe this is something that Red Roo should post but the official announcement is on the QF newsroom.
Qantas today unveiled details of its new inflight dining offering, which is set to re-define the travel experience for international Economy customers when it rolls out across the network from 25 November.

Customers will enjoy a wider choice of meals, fifty per cent larger servings and faster service.

Qantas Group Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce said the dining experience will set a new standard for the five million Economy customers travelling across the airline’s international network each year.

“We have worked closely with Australia’s leading producers and suppliers to deliver what we believe to be the best inflight economy dining experience offered by any international carrier,” said Mr Joyce.

“The new menu offers more generous meals and an increase from two to four meal options. We also have new meal categories, including a healthy option, comfort food and a meal inspired by the route itself, like Smoky Barbeque Beef on our US flights.

“We have extended our Select on Q Eat service to Economy passengers enabling them to pre-order their meal online with access to an exclusive dish as the fourth dish.

“Together with new serving plates, which remove the need for trays, our crew will be able to serve and clear meals up to 30 minutes faster giving them more time to interact and assist passengers,” added Mr Joyce.

Some of the new dishes on the menu include smoky barbecue beef with roasted sweet potato, broccoli and corn; honey roasted chicken farro salad and seasonal vegetables with pumpkin and sesame seeds; scrambled eggs with chicken sausage, tomato, hash brown and baked beans; and Ruby & Roy’s traditional Greek yoghurt with granola.

Pulled beef sliders with capsicum and tomato relish, Weis ice-cream bars, Maltesers and fresh fruit are among the self-serve grazing options. Shortly after take-off passengers will be served a welcome drink from Bickford’s signature range, featuring flavours exclusive to Qantas such as Lemon & Elderflower, and Pink Grapefruit.

A team of Qantas food and beverage experts spent 12 months researching and developing the new menu and service, speaking with customers, visiting local producers and suppliers and researching food and dining trends. Trials were run on a number of international flights and customer satisfaction on those flights almost doubled, hitting record highs.
Check the link for the full announcement including roll out schedule and photos of the food.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Sorry I was referring to the general announcement of the new service. As the press release notes and you can see in the pictures there is now no serving tray and it looks like all you receive is the main dish and a bread roll and drink....plus continual grazing as the video States.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Well maybe this is something that Red Roo should post but the official announcement is on the QF newsroom.

Check the link for the full announcement including roll out schedule and photos of the food.
Who is Red Roo....?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
So, what happened, other than what the FA did? I.e. What did you order and what was dumped on the tray? I am curious as to why the FA was running off! Was it something really awful and weird that turned up, like baby food?
I ordered a pasta dish, I was served some sort of fatty chicken thing festering on a bed of smoky smelling rice. This was after they'd forgotten to serve me the first course of soup, I had to ask for that when I realised that they were clearing the crockery away for other passengers while I was still waiting.

I just gave up and asked them to clear the tray away when I managed to flag down a different FA, I'd lost my appetite by this stage. The cabin crew were really lacklustre on this flight except for one woman who at least seemed to pretend to give a damn and kept the wine coming because she knew I was pissed off.

I think the FA ran off because he knew my order had been screwed up and he didn't want to have to deal with disappointed customer. I wrote a trip report, I'll see f I can find it and post the link
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Is this a case of cost cutting in the guise of an 'enhancement'?

From what I understand the 'meal' will now just contain the hot element and a bread roll - starter/salad has gone. This will allow QF to reduce their catering costs massively as the catering company would obviously be paid less as they are not 'assembling' any trays or preparing starters.

Will be interested to see how it pans out.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by duckied
Is this a case of cost cutting in the guise of an 'enhancement'?

From what I understand the 'meal' will now just contain the hot element and a bread roll - starter/salad has gone. This will allow QF to reduce their catering costs massively as the catering company would obviously be paid less as they are not 'assembling' any trays or preparing starters.

Will be interested to see how it pans out.
Exactly my sentiment. And it says Weiss bars are now self serve? So no dessert served to the tray table?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:22 pm

The dessert (which is the chocolate mousse ) is served along with the main meal. The ice cream is in addition afterwards. That's exactly how it is offered today. The only thing that dissapears is the side salad. Such a tiny salad was quite expensive to have made and wasn't particularly filling so that money is spent on a larger mains.

Mid-flight snacks are the same as they are now like cheese and crackers, malteasers and the mini sliders.

Select on Q works from the menu that is served but will allow you to gaurantee your choice. Crew check which passengers have pre ordered and simply put a sticker on that meal. You'll get served as normal when the cart comes out. One menu option will be exclusive to online. You should never have to miss out on your choice again!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.