Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD to LAX - QF Premium or FJ Business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Hey team,

I was about to book an award flight in QF Premium from SYD to LAX (via. Melbourne) but noticed that there's an available flight in Fiji Business (via. Nadi).

Considering both trips are 17 hours and feature a stopover (plus the added benefit of avoiding the Melbourne Lounge / Dungeon if flying Fiji), what is the better option?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
FJ business is better. You get a sloping flat bed in the FJ A330. This by itself makes for the best ability to rest. But the small FJ fleet size means that if incase of IRROPS then the effects can be quite bad. I’d probably avoid FJ if they are offering only a 738 from SYD to NAN.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that both options require a connection, I would definitely go for the FJ option

even FJ's business class with 48" pitch on the 3hr 50 min 737 leg to NAN is better than Qantas's premium economy seating.

With a premium economy award, I would assume that the 90 minutes to Melbourne would be in economy

Also, NAN is in the correct direction. SYD-LAX is 7488 miles ; going via NAN adds 1 mile to the distance at 7489 whilst going via Melbourne is completely in the wrong direction and adds 872 miles to the journey

I cannot see any plusses in the Qantas option
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Amazing! That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
Originally Posted by harlumshake
Amazing! That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys, appreciate it.
As in business, you will also be able to access the Tabua Club lounge in Nadi during the stopover. Currently in a temporary location, but the new lounge is due to open soon and will be interesting to see what that is like.

And, if you had ever had a thought to visit Fiji, I think you could do a longer stopover in Nadi for no extra cost, but might need a phone call to QF or FJ to book.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Interlude
As in business, you will also be able to access the Tabua Club lounge in Nadi during the stopover. Currently in a temporary location, but the new lounge is due to open soon and will be interesting to see what that is like.

And, if you had ever had a thought to visit Fiji, I think you could do a longer stopover in Nadi for no extra cost, but might need a phone call to QF or FJ to book.
There should also be access to the Qantas International Business Lounge in SYD and the lounge FJ uses in LAX.
IIRC Fiji has very high taxes that would be triggered if there was a stop over.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:28 pm

I'd say FJ Business.

If you don't book a stop over you should also be fine in the event of delays.

In the past, FJ has rebooked anyone going from either BNE, SYD or MEL to the US on Qantas Business when there has been a large delay.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I do SYD to NAN in FJ business. I would do that over QF premium economy.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: qantas frequent flyer
Just did the FJ trip to LAX and had a stop over in NAN travelling J last month. It was a really good trip. Plane was spotless. Best breakfast we have ever had before landing in LAX. We booked FF and the taxes were significantly cheaper than QF.
Do not hesitate to use FJ in J.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:31 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
There should also be access to the Qantas International Business Lounge in SYD and the lounge FJ uses in LAX.
IIRC Fiji has very high taxes that would be triggered if there was a stop over.
Fiji uses the OneWorld lounge in LAX
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:44 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I do SYD to NAN in FJ business. I would do that over QF premium economy.
QF PE to NAN? Did you mean LAX?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'd take the FJ flight rather than fly via Melbourne for PE. If it was a direct outbound flight from SYD I'd take that over the stopover in NAN, even in PE. Coming back I'd want the bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.