Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading from J to F on Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Lanpass, Marriott Rewards
Upgrading from J to F on Qantas

Hi, long time lurker here, that finally decided to participate, this is my first so please be gentle...

I've emerald level in Lan (OW) for about 8 years now and get to travel pretty often, but this May i'll be on my honeymoon trip to PPT, AKL and SYD. Last month I travelled LAX-NRT on AA and a FLB upgrade was offered for me (flying J), so for only US$ 625 I got this UPG. sweet!

Now, we have paid J tickets on QF and would love to be able to upgrade from J to F on my SYD-LAX return leg, I've researching here and there's no info on paid upgrades on QF (at least no discussion dating later than 2009) so, does anyboy know if QF offers any equivalent benefit as the LFB upgrades tha AA offers?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FAEDC3; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the forum

With QF upgrades are only by
(a) pay the fare difference in cash. QF are not known to discount the cost at the gate-you pay full $$$
(b) Using QF points, but this is a lottery with the winners (if any) advised few hours before the flight

SYD-LAX is a very popular route for upgrade and J & F awards.
With QF always expect to fly the class you pay for

Why are you a member of AAdvantage and Lanpass?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Lanpass, Marriott Rewards
Thanks for your response.
I'm actually a member of Lanpass, not AAdvantage. Being Lan member of Oneworld one gets recognized as a top tier member when flying on any of the OW airlines.

The UPG that I bought (LFB Upgrade they call it) was offered as a "cash upgrade" it does not matter if one is not member of AAdvantage to get it.

so it seems that I'll be flying J then... not too bad though!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FAEDC3
I'm actually a member of Lanpass, not AAdvantage. Being Lan member of Oneworld one gets recognized as a top tier member when flying on any of the OW airlines.
OK. But you have "Programs: AAdvantage, Lanpass, Marriott Rewards" in your profile. Here we take that to mean you a signed up member of those loyalty programs
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF has no equivalent to AA's LFB program, which for completeness works as follows ... Paid LFB Upgrades will be offered to eligible passengers during check-in, which is 24 hours prior to departure through the check-in window. Eligibility shall be determined based on, but not limited to, the following factors: AAdvantage or oneworld elite status membership, purchased fare class, existing upgrade requests, ticketing status, and purchase history.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
QF itself does not have first Akl to Syd vv.
EK do though.
QF uses only small 737s between Aust and NZ.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
QF itself does not have first Akl to Syd vv.
EK do though.
QF uses only small 737s between Aust and NZ.
FAEDC3 only asked about SYD-LAX. That is what this discussion is about
Originally Posted by FAEDC3
Now, we have paid J tickets on QF and would love to be able to upgrade from J to F on my SYD-LAX return leg.....
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
QF transpacs First redemption seats are like seeing a unicorn flying across the a full moon sky... and as others mentioned F upgrade is a lottery but the game is reserved for QF Frequent flyers only
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by avm2806
QF transpacs First redemption seats are like seeing a unicorn flying across the a full moon sky... and as others mentioned F upgrade is a lottery but the game is reserved for QF Frequent flyers only
One of the very few good points about QF FF.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by og
One of the very few good points about QF FF.
Agree. It is about the only think I use QFF points for these days. Reminds me I need to do some more bookings for later in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.