Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actual Gold Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Actual Gold Benefits?

So what can I expect in reality when I make Gold after my next flight soon? I only need 20SC more so will be going over as Silver and returning home as Gold.

I know the obvious benefit of business lounge access, but in reality did people find their experience actually changed much when they went Gold? More frequent upgrades? Better seat selection? Recognition on board?

Seems like on here most people really crave Platinum and I don't see much chat about Gold so just wondering what to expect.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG
Hi Samrock55,
As others will likely say, if you expect only the stated benefits then you are less likely to be disappointed.
WP rarely experience any additional perks outside of those officially listed; recognition on board only on the odd exception, upgrades like hen's teeth.
So, for a SG you can safely assume it will be even less frequently.
I do find ground and telephone services more accommodating than they need to be by the letter of the law more often than not (e.g. trying to get award seat availability, when you need to change flights for some reason).
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
I recall being able to move forward one row in J PER-SIN when changing status. And I'm now able to select seats in "Emerald City" (the A380 J mini-cabin) when flying to the U.S.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
The QC/OW lounge benefits are obvious, as is the Gold/Plat priority line for peak times can be a real benefit (and at other airports often a oneworld sapphire is enough for priority access). Business Class counter use for check-in also helps.

I found as a Gold int upgrades would clear on occasion, but yes with all the P1's and WP's ahead you would find it harder on popular routes.

I do think Gold is worth it definitely over silver specially if travelling fairly regularly and via alliance partners too where the OW SPH status can be useful.

Each to their own though.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The longest wait time I have had when phoning for enquiries (etc) has been about one minute. This makes (WP) status very valuable.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Recognition on board?
Internationally, in my experience as a gold, you get recognition on board (most of the time) when travelling in Y and express immigration passes when travelling on QF codes on Emirates. Don't know if you get that travelling on QF internationally. Also you will get access to EK lounges flying on QF or EK (which at least in MEL is better than the QF J lounge, not sure about elsewhere).
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Shamrock55

I know the obvious benefit of business lounge access,
Aren't Gold's relegated to QP (Qantas Club) domestically?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
Aren't Gold's relegated to QP (Qantas Club) domestically?
It's a lot more than Silver get, which is a pointer to the Gloria Jeans down at Baggage Claim

And sure, in US etc you get the AAdmirals club, while WP's/P1 get the IFL (where available, eg LAX T4) which is a definite bonus.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Gold over Silver (no Qantas Club) is a massive uplift
- Domestic and International Lounge Access
- Better seat selection (partic for domestic legs in Y expect to sit 8 rows forward)
- 75% points bonus versus 50% on QF flights
- Preffered call centre etc

In contrast I would say the uplifts to Plat (even with the First Lounges) and P1 are more incremental.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
I envy SG, I am making QFF SS (am a newby, is that the right code)...

I find though, that as a member of the QC, after I enter my QFF number, (after joing QC that is), that my wait times are as mentioned above, less, and my calls get answered by an Australian call centre girl.

The line is also clearer, you can hear the other side better, than speaking with Virgin's overseas call centres.

I would only guess that my experience with joining QC is the trick, or maybe it might be just luck.

But back to the to OP, with SG, you get that specific phone number at the back of the QFF/QCash card, but travelling one way in SS/one way in SG, you won't have the SG card. Better than Bronze, when you could wait half an hour to get your call answered on the musical chairs.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: QFF SG; VA WP; Accor Platinum; IHG Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
I envy SG, I am making QFF SS (am a newby, is that the right code)...

But back to the to OP, with SG, you get that specific phone number at the back of the QFF/QCash card, but travelling one way in SS/one way in SG, you won't have the SG card. Better than Bronze, when you could wait half an hour to get your call answered on the musical chairs.
The code for Silver is PS.

As for the phone number it's the same for everyone from what I've seen, I belive it's only the plats that have a dedicated line. When you ring up the number you insert your FF# and that then differentiates you and gives you priority on the phone lines.

As for not having the SG card. It doesn't matter, when entering the lounge if the points for the first flight have posted then your account will be updated and all you need is your FF# and the desk can look your status up.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF Gold, ANZ Silver
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Internationally, in my experience as a gold, you get recognition on board (most of the time) when travelling in Y and express immigration passes when travelling on QF codes on Emirates. Don't know if you get that travelling on QF internationally. Also you will get access to EK lounges flying on QF or EK (which at least in MEL is better than the QF J lounge, not sure about elsewhere).
Regardless of whether I am on QF or anything else internationally I always ask for an express card and never get refused. Sometimes I find it is quicker in the regular line! Certainly after you key in your FF number it is answered more quickly the higher status you have. You may also be lucky enough to get op ups like I have had on domestic and int'l. Enjoy while you can!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hoss007
Certainly after you key in your FF number it is answered more quickly the higher status you have. Y
Don't think I've ever had to wait more than 1 minute for someone to pick up - it works quite well!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by og
The longest wait time I have had when phoning for enquiries (etc) has been about one minute. This makes (WP) status very valuable.
Plus when you get Qantas Premium you get onto charming, helpful, knowledgable and competent staff.

Ring at a time when the Premium line are busy or some off peak time, and it can be quite different
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Hoss007
Regardless of whether I am on QF or anything else internationally I always ask for an express card and never get refused.
I have, as a BA Gold/OWE travelling on BA in Y+! And my partner did as well as a BA Gold/OWE travelling on BA in J (both directions between SYD & SIN). I guess they don't do express cards for Australia. I have also asked on SQ and been denied (as * gold). ( But it doesn't really matter now, as I have a good stash as rarely need to use them in MEL, especially with electronic entry gates).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.