Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas weigh my hand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Enforcement is not at the check-in desk when it happens, so there is no advantage to web/phone/kiosk checkin (all of which are offered by QF provided your traveler id details are correctly in the booking for international flights). Enforcement is either at the gate at boarding time, or by the security checks (varies by airport). Size is probably the prime consideration, though in the past they have weighed 100% of carryon (at AKL where it seemed to be airport wide). But your convern about lost bags and late delivery suggests you haven't flown QF much, it is fast and reliable most of the time, unlike US arports/airlines.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by mster
Have a lot of Qantas flying coming up (domestic & international) and thought I'd bump this thread. Flying into / out of LAX, SYD, AKL, MEL, HBA, BNE, etc..

Planning to pack a carryon bag (7kg) and a small messenger bag as a personal item (7kg). I've never had the messenger bag weighed before since it's very compact, but I've weighed it fully loaded and it's right up around 7kg.

Is this a reasonable strategy?
In May I went through the gauntlet of 9 domestic QF flights through AU. As an American flyer I always worry about other country restrictions. I travelled with a 41 inch hard roller and a backpack. The hard roller was well over the 7kg limit and the backpack at the start of the trip was close (I picked up some gifts as the trip went on). The only time I was stopped was on my international arrival in SYD while doing the domestic transfer. Otherwise no one ever said anything at airports like Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney domestic, and others.

I'll be on one QF flight in a couple of weeks SYD to SFO in J and will have a 45in hard roller and will be over the weight limit. Hoping for no issues as I have a somewhat tight connection in SFO.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'll be on one QF flight in a couple of weeks SYD to SFO in J and will have a 45in hard roller and will be over the weight limit. Hoping for no issues as I have a somewhat tight connection in SFO.
Large carry on bags don't fit in the overhead lockers in the Upper Deck (744)..
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by og
Large carry on bags don't fit in the overhead lockers in the Upper Deck (744)..
I'll be in the lower deck but appreciate that as I was not aware.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:59 am

The only time I was stopped was on my international arrival in SYD while doing the domestic transfer. Otherwise no one ever said anything at airports like Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney domestic, and others.
Could you clarify what you mean by being "stopped... on my international arrival in SYD while doing the domestic transfer"?

(1) Did you check-in in person at SYD after clearing immigration and QF weighed your bag then?
(2) Were you identified as potentially overweight before / after SYD security where they just weighed your bag?
(3) Were everyone's carry-on bags weighed going through security at SYD?
(4) Was your bag identified as a possible overweight bag at the gate?

Thanks for sharing your experience ^
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mster
Could you clarify what you mean by being "stopped... on my international arrival in SYD while doing the domestic transfer"?

(1) Did you check-in in person at SYD after clearing immigration and QF weighed your bag then?
(2) Were you identified as potentially overweight before / after SYD security where they just weighed your bag?
(3) Were everyone's carry-on bags weighed going through security at SYD?
(4) Was your bag identified as a possible overweight bag at the gate?

Thanks for sharing your experience ^
Sure - I'm not sure how familiar you are with the transfer process. My issue could have been avoiding by taking the train to the domestic terminal rather than going through QF domestic transfer.

My issue was I didn't have a boarding pass and didn't think much of any issues with my bag (I had the right size but forgot about weight).

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, I checked in at the transfer desk. I was asked how many bags I was checking and I said none I just needed a boarding pass. At that time I was asked to weigh my hard roller. I can't remember how much it was over by but the lady asked if I could transfer anything to my backpack. I replied yes and began the process at which point she said you don't need to do it now but you will get stopped before boarding. I never moved anything and was never stopped again the rest of the trip. Do note that I am OW Emerald.

2. I was never asked to weigh my bag for the remaining 9 segments on QF - even on some smaller planes.

3. I didn't see anyone's bags ever weighed going through security at any of the airports I listed at a previous post.

4. Same answer as #3.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
A few years ago while boarding the SYD flight at LAX there was an agent stationed at the door from the terminal who was eyeing hand baggage. He said mine was too big, but he eventually gave up -- it wasn't too big, just a bit over stuffed because I had put my laptop carrying case inside. He didn’t have a scale. I did see him send several passengers back to check their baggage. He seemed very nervous and unhappy having to do this job.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:35 am

I was flying MEL-SYD-HKG on J a few months ago and the check in agent made me weigh my bag and forced me to check it in since it was 10 kg. I had no other bags other than that so it was pretty annoying.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Reikon
I was flying MEL-SYD-HKG on J a few months ago and the check in agent made me weigh my bag and forced me to check it in since it was 10 kg. I had no other bags other than that so it was pretty annoying.
Where was this? Was this the MEL-SYD flight? Was this during check in or at the gate?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
People with big and heavy carry ons don't get much sympathy from others who have followed the size and weight rules if they are checked by random inspections or struggle with putting their stuff in overhead bins on board. As before, if it LOOKS big and heavy you're a target for checking.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Qantas FF
I've only had my carry-on weighed twice.. once in departures around 2008 they weighed it and gave me a stern talking to but let go because it was 7.1kg.. no joke

The other time was on a bloody Jetstar flight returning from MNL. They weighed it at check-in and then stuck a sticker on it. Had to partially book Jetstar for part of a route to Manila PER-SYD-MNL-PER as the SYD-MNL Qantas flight was already full (fairly late booking)

Never the less I routinely try my best to ensure it is correct, though it's often a little over once I put my jacket and everything back in it. But I figure that's fine I can just remove my jacket, wallet, etc if I ever get stuck. This is just a small backpack, but with a laptop etc too it's easy to get over weight.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:33 pm

Where was this? Was this the MEL-SYD flight? Was this during check in or at the gate?
Check in at MEL. The bag was within size limits so it didn't look excessively big or heavy.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
from my experience QF are never bothered with weighing reasonably sized hand luggage within Australia
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by garethlewis
from my experience QF are never bothered with weighing reasonably sized hand luggage within Australia
This is my experience (as in the quote).

The only time bags are usually weighed is at the entrance to the international departures hall where an airport agent weighs (or used to weigh) bags that 'looked' heavy. Premium pax were waived through on showing the boarding pass. So it was more an airport thing rather than airline (although the airlines probably weren't complaining).
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:29 pm

Just had my carry on weighed again on an AKL-SYD flight. I must be really unlucky if nobody else here encounters it. It was within limits so I didn't have to check it at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.