Wiki Posts
Search

QF10 LHR to MEL - U class seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL/CCR
QF10 LHR to MEL - U class seats

Currently booked in X using Avios via BAEC but dont fancy economy now for the long flight!!

Looks like plenty of seats in Business but none on reward right now - expertflyer isn't picking up this flight though so I can't set an alert? Any ideas??!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
QF does not release much availability for LHR->MEL/SYD in business/first, and when it does it is usually taken very quickly.

If you want an award booking in business to Melbourne, look for individual flight segments and don't limit yourself to QF. You may be able to combine partners to find something. Some options are:
QF/BA: LHR-DXB
QF: DXB-MEL, DXB-SYD-MEL
BA: LHR-SIN, LHR-SYD
BA/CX: *-HKG (try other Euro airports)
CX/QF: HKG-MEL
QR: LHR-DOH-MEL
MH: LHR-KUL-MEL

Not sure what you mean by "ExpertFlyer isn't picking up this flight".
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
QF does not release much availability for LHR->MEL/SYD in business/first, and when it does it is usually taken very quickly.

If you want an award booking in business to Melbourne, look for individual flight segments and don't limit yourself to QF. You may be able to combine partners to find something. Some options are:
QF/BA: LHR-DXB
QF: DXB-MEL, DXB-SYD-MEL
BA: LHR-SIN, LHR-SYD
BA/CX: *-HKG (try other Euro airports)
CX/QF: HKG-MEL
QR: LHR-DOH-MEL
MH: LHR-KUL-MEL

Not sure what you mean by "ExpertFlyer isn't picking up this flight".
If I try to search for it on expertflyer to set an alert I cant find the LHR to DXB sector

Cant really look at different segments as that will cost me 50k Avios + cash instead of the 25k + tax difference if they release a seat on QF10 - I know its a really long shot
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teledude
If I try to search for it on expertflyer to set an alert I cant find the LHR to DXB sector
What date are you looking at? Why are you setting an alert for LHR-DXB if you want LHR-MEL? Qantas offers QF10 LHR-DXB, QF10 DXB-MEL, AND QF10 LHR-MEL with different award availability for each. It is the same plane however.

Cant really look at different segments as that will cost me 50k Avios + cash instead of the 25k + tax difference if they release a seat on QF10 - I know its a really long shot
I don't follow.
LHR-MEL booked direct in economy is 50,000 avios.
LHR-MEL booked in business is 100,000 avios.

Other business options include:
LHR-HKG-MEL is 110,000. So only 10,000 avios more.
CDG-KUL-MEL is 100,000 avios, same as LHR-MEL direct.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:41 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=nux;21850906]What date are you looking at? Why are you setting an alert for LHR-DXB if you want LHR-MEL? Qantas offers QF10 LHR-DXB, QF10 DXB-MEL, AND QF10 LHR-MEL with different award availability for each. It is the same plane however.

I want an alert for LHR - MEL but when I search that it doesnt show...

I don't follow.
LHR-MEL booked direct in economy is 50,000 avios.
LHR-MEL booked in business is 100,000 avios.

LHR to MEL cost me 25k Avios and cash - BAEC have told me if J comes available it will be another 25k avios and the tax difference - seems cheap to me
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how you are trying to set an alert, but one way is by going to Flight Availability, search for LHR-MEL with airline QF.
Select the [!] flight alert button on the direct flight and setup for U inventory.

LHR to MEL cost me 25k Avios and cash - BAEC have told me if J comes available it will be another 25k avios and the tax difference - seems cheap to me
You are using Avios & Money. You can rebook by segment the same way and can even use more cash for less avios on airlines valid for Avios & Money.

Also note you can get a return cash fare on QF from £840, which is less than a return award economy fare using avios (50,000 + £897 is the middle option). Unless you only need a one-way, an economy award is very poor value.

Last edited by nux; Nov 25, 2013 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Do you not even see a line for the flight with blank availability boxes?

If you can see that, then the alert function will still work even though the availability boxes are blank.

If you can't, then using the normal Flight Availability search will also work, as nux says.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Not sure how you are trying to set an alert, but one way is by going to Flight Availability, search for LHR-MEL with airline QF.
Select the [!] flight alert button on the direct flight and setup for U inventory.

You are using Avios & Money. You can rebook by segment the same way and can even use more cash for less avios on airlines valid for Avios & Money.

Also note you can get a return cash fare on QF from £840, which is less than a return award economy fare using avios (50,000 + £897 is the middle option). Unless you only need a one-way, an economy award is very poor value.
Its a one way and paid 25k and about 400 I think, hence why I'm keen on J for another 25k avios and the taxes which I think is good value

Fingers crossed LOL
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Each to their own, but I don't see that 25k Avios is that great a value to save GBP85 over just purchasing a one way ticket

If looking for business class, might be worth checking for MH since does seem that there is a lot more availability on MH than QF
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Each to their own, but I don't see that 25k Avios is that great a value to save GBP85 over just purchasing a one way ticket

If looking for business class, might be worth checking for MH since does seem that there is a lot more availability on MH than QF
^ ANd since flying MH gives you the same advantage as the old Kangaroo Route with QF, i.e. get the long sector out of the way first when departing close to midnight, it is easier on the system.

(LHR-KUL is easier to find sleep on than LHR-DXB when leaving in the late evening).

Dave
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:38 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta
^ ANd since flying MH gives you the same advantage as the old Kangaroo Route with QF, i.e. get the long sector out of the way first when departing close to midnight, it is easier on the system.

(LHR-KUL is easier to find sleep on than LHR-DXB when leaving in the late evening).

Dave
Personally I think going east it is better to have a longer second sector when arriving in the morning, so a longer second sector is more important.

MH LHR-KUL-MEL arrives in MEL at 6:45AM with the second sector under 8hrs, not enough time for a good sleep.

QF LHR-DXB-MEL arrives in MEL at 7:45AM with the second sector almost 14hrs, long enough for 8hrs sleep during the AEST night.

Getting a long sleep on the first sector will keep you on UK time, whereas staying up to DXB and getting a long sleep on the second sector will help adjust to MEL time much easier.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Currently booked in X using Avios via BAEC but dont fancy economy now for the long flight!!

Looks like plenty of seats in Business but none on reward right now - expertflyer isn't picking up this flight though so I can't set an alert? Any ideas??!
I made a booking with QF points recently for the same route, I found there was very little when searching LON-SYD, but using a multi segment eg. BA to SIN or HKG and QF to SYD had a bit more availability.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Falcs
I made a booking with QF points recently for the same route, I found there was very little when searching LON-SYD, but using a multi segment eg. BA to SIN or HKG and QF to SYD had a bit more availability.
In addition, if going down this route, there are also CX options on LHR-HKG and HKG-MEL, together with further CX options from other European points to HKG (eg FRA-HKG, AMS-HKG etc).
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: QF
It took me 6 weeks of watching the T-353 releases each day. Luckily I had an eight week window for travel. QF2 was very difficult to get two J ASA's in U bucket, but eventually happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.