Search

QF1 or QF9 easiest for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Plat,AIRNZ GE
QF1 or QF9 easiest for upgrades

hi all
wondering if there would be a difference in chances of getting award upgrade on QF1 or QF9?

also excuse wanted to make sure I understand correct that you can request QFF upgrades on flights with QF no even though it is operated by Emirates??

thanks for help
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Camonair
hi all
wondering if there would be a difference in chances of getting award upgrade on QF1 or QF9?

also excuse wanted to make sure I understand correct that you can request QFF upgrades on flights with QF no even though it is operated by Emirates??

thanks for help
Your upgrade chances will depend on a number of things including:

(1) how heavily booked the flight is in the cabin your are looking to move from/ in to;
(2) how many people have requested award upgrades; and
(3) how status heavy the flight is. As you would be aware, passengers with higher status are more likely to receive upgrades.

In terms of which flight is more heavily booked this will depend on the specific date, and you can refer to Expert flyer to get a rough idea on the loadings. As a general rule I would expect QF1 to be more heavily booked generally, but only because Sydney is a larger city than Melbourne.

However because Qantas now only has 2 services to London the reality is that both QF1 and QF9 are generally heavily booked. I have travelled QF9 many times in business and first and these two cabins have always been full on the day I have travelled.

You will never know how many people have requested award upgrades on the date you wish to travel. Likewise, the question of which flight is more status-heavy, this is anyone's guess.

If I had to take a punt I would try for award upgrade space on QF9 than QF1, but as mentioned above QF9 has always been heavily booked when I've travelled on it.

But nevertheless some passengers do get award upgrades on each flight. It is a lottery, and my suggestion would be to go for the flight that is most convenient to you.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Upgrades are only possible on tickets booked with QF code on QF operated aircraft.

As for QF1 v QF9 for upgrades, I don't know. But as a QF WP, you have a better chance than most (for what that's worth). Maybe a QF insider can offer more ....

Also, I read that DXB airport is having runway works for a few months and one of the QF DXB-LHR flights will not operate - so I gather that both QF1 and 9 will be merged at DXB - so that is likely to kill upgrade chances for a few months.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by QF Lad
Your upgrade chances will depend on a number of things including:
As a general rule I would expect QF1 to be more heavily booked generally, but only because Sydney is a larger city than Melbourne.
4.6 million versus 4.2 million not too much difference. I would say the number of other airlines offering similar flights would be more relevant as QF is generally regarded as the more expensive option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.