Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Status Credits - helpful advice required!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi All
Apologies for the length and detail of this post, but I wondered if I could get some advice regarding a Status Credit question I have. I'm currently on Silver membership and am desperate to retain that level. I would have had no trouble with this, but last year my flight home from the States was delayed by a couple of days as I had a brain aneurysm - and [just to top off a stressful trip!] found that my healthy Status credit balance was basically reduced to zero . I did write to them to explain and ask if they'd consider relooking at this, given the reason - but they declined.

Anyway, I completed another Akl-Syd-DFW-CLT return trip and arrived home a couple of weeks ago. Realizing that I'd be 25 Status credits shy of retaining my Silver membership, I used points plus pay for a day trip from Akl-Syd return. I thought this would be enough - but I've just checked and I'm 5 credits short! .

What would be the best, cheapest way to gain 5 Status credits in 8 days?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated - !
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
A Jetstar flight with the Plus bundle would seem to be the only way...

AKL-WLG-AKL sound like fun?!

Just need the Plus bundle for one sector....
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
A Jetstar flight with the Plus bundle would seem to be the only way...

AKL-WLG-AKL sound like fun?!

Just need the Plus bundle for one sector....
Hi Thai-Kiwi - thanks so much for your response. I think you're right...I'm just so annoyed at myself, as I thought I'd calculated the Akl-Syd run accurately. Due to some work commitments, I won't be able to fly until next weekend...I just hope the weather holds out and the flights don't get cancelled! The way my luck is going at the moment, I wouldn't put money on it .

Thanks again for the reply - much appreciated.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Honeygirl
Hi All
Apologies for the length and detail of this post, but I wondered if I could get some advice regarding a Status Credit question I have. I'm currently on Silver membership and am desperate to retain that level. I would have had no trouble with this, but last year my flight home from the States was delayed by a couple of days as I had a brain aneurysm - and [just to top off a stressful trip!] found that my healthy Status credit balance was basically reduced to zero . I did write to them to explain and ask if they'd consider relooking at this, given the reason - but they declined.

Anyway, I completed another Akl-Syd-DFW-CLT return trip and arrived home a couple of weeks ago. Realizing that I'd be 25 Status credits shy of retaining my Silver membership, I used points plus pay for a day trip from Akl-Syd return. I thought this would be enough - but I've just checked and I'm 5 credits short! .

Qantas may not drop you for 5 credits

What would be the best, cheapest way to gain 5 Status credits in 8 days?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated - !
Old Jun 22, 2013, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Lonely Flyer .

To be honest, I'd be surprised if they overlooked it. I have the feeling that they'd have the 'rules are rules' approach with Status Credits - even with five short. You have given me hope though - thank you!

I'd love to hear from anyone that's been in a similar situation and if they let it pass.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Although it would depend on the individual person dealing with your inquiry, I'd suspect that QF would say that "rules are rules" and demote you from Silver if you were 5 SC short.

You would have a stronger case if you had a number of Qantas bookings over the next few months.

You should try to get the additional 5 SC if you wish to be sure of retaining Silver.

The Jetstar option sounds like the best way for you. If the Jetstar flight was cancelled, you would then legitimately be able to claim that you should retain the Silver membership if you didn't fly due to the Jetstar cancellation on you the second last day of your membership year.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
JQ NZ domestic is the easiest and can be cheapest way to get those 5 SC.
A question though. You stated that you did a AKL-SYD return. If on QF in economy, paid in cash, that would have gotten you 20SC each way meaning 40SC. Was one of the legs a redemption flight or on another airline? Or has one leg not credited yet? Sometimes it takes a couple of days to credit, even if flown on the same day.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you log into your Qantas account and go to "Your summary"

Does it say

Status reassessment will occur: 30 June 2013

or

Status reassessment will occur: 30 June 2014

If the latter, then it means that QF has renewed you regardless and then there is nothing to worry about anyway

If not, I would seriously ask yourself what value Silver status gives ( esp in NZ ) and whether it is worth entertaining paying more to maintain it
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
JQ NZ domestic is the easiest and can be cheapest way to get those 5 SC.
A question though. You stated that you did a AKL-SYD return. If on QF in economy, paid in cash, that would have gotten you 20SC each way meaning 40SC. Was one of the legs a redemption flight or on another airline? Or has one leg not credited yet? Sometimes it takes a couple of days to credit, even if flown on the same day.
Blackcloud - you are right! I've just checked my statement, and it looks like it's all gone through . I had used points plus pay [$100 cash and the rest - I think around 30,000 points] for the trip. Yesterday, it looked like they'd not credited me the 20 return Status Credits, so I thought they'd not credit me those as it was an award booking.

QF Lad - thanks for your reply. It's good to know about the possible cancellation issue. I had angst over that as the day before they were due to expire, was really the only day I could have made the additional trip .

Dave; the Summary still gives me the 30 June 2013 date, but doesn't say how many Status Credits I'll need to retain silver [possibly because I've already got them?]. I had thought about flagging the whole silver thing, but I've got used to [and love] the extra luggage, picking my seat in advance - plus the complementary lounge entry is really handy when I'm in Sydney for four hours!

I feel like a bit of an egg over this, but I just couldn't let my silver go when I was so close to retaining it. I am beyond relieved - thanks everyone for your replies and help!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Jun 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm Reason: deleted what was meant ot be a PM :)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
?...
Dave; the Summary still gives me the 30 June 2013 date, but doesn't say how many Status Credits I'll need to retain silver [possibly because I've already got them?]. I had thought about flagging the whole silver thing, but I've got used to [and love] the extra luggage, picking my seat in advance - plus the complementary lounge entry is really handy when I'm in Sydney for four hours!
So how does Silver FF Status get comp lounge access? Or is it from a one time pass card?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
So how does Silver FF Status get comp lounge access? Or is it from a one time pass card?
One time card. They also give you some luggage tags. Yay? The only thing good about Silver with QFF is the ability to book exit row seats. Hardly worth it given what you have to do to earn it if you're living outside Oz.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
One time card. They also give you some luggage tags. Yay? The only thing good about Silver with QFF is the ability to book exit row seats. Hardly worth it given what you have to do to earn it if you're living outside Oz.
Quite correct there - one time access and the luggage tags which I don't think I've ever seen anyone use? You also get additional luggage and ability to select your seat as soon as you book your ticket. Small perks - but I know I'd miss them if I didn't have them .
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:14 am
Suspended

Small perks - but I know I'd miss them if I didn't have them .
You've def. got to do an AA challenge:

1. 1 trans-pac flight would qualify for plat on AA, which gets you
2. Lounge access on all intl flights regardless of class
3. Seating choice
4. Boarding earlier (usually)
5. Earning on a wider range of airlines at (usually) higher rates
6. Fluffy Bunnies & kittens
7. Priority lanes in US at airport check in & security
8. Easier to retain than QFF Silver
9. Easier upgrades on flights connecting to LAX/DFW or within US
10. Cheaper awards flights at every level and in every form they take.
11. Priority check in globally. Which can be nice at 4:30am in CHC when everyone & their dog is also checking in for trans-Tasman flights on <shudder> JQ
12. QF Silver = OW Ruby vs AA Platinum = OW Sapphire but AA plt is easier to get & easier, IMO, to retain

Negatives:

1. Essentially no way to upgrade with points on QF flights. But then, the chances of that working as QF Silver are slim to none anyway.
2. Slightly reduced chance of awards flights because QFF members get a 30 day lead on booking them over AA members.
3. A bit more care needed selecting flights to make sure you're maximising points as the earn rates change.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I do not know about AA being easier, it depends upon fare class, many of Mrs Blackcloud's QF flights have not earned anything on AA, I just forget to check.
Honeygirl if you want Gold try doing a LAN Business Saver return AKL-SYD-AKL for a Saturday night in SYD, around $850NZD for 160 SC, a couple over the year will garner the extra points, of course you need to enjoy the jet setting one night lifestyle and when I was younger I so did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.