Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar Vs. Qantas domestics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Dear oh, dear. I guess it was just a matter of time until someone added the Orange Cancer to their long list of airlines that Qantas is inferior to.

JQ is designed to have a cost advantage of QF and it usually manages that - but its amusing to read here how JQ appears superior to QF on just about every criteria mentioned.

Chuckle.

It sounds like absolute bliss over there on the LCC. Maybe I'm the only QF customer who doesn't think "gee, I wish that was me" or "lucky beggars - THEY could have used POLI" when they see the pax loading aboard the adjacent sardine express.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Dear oh, dear. I guess it was just a matter of time until someone added the Orange Cancer to their long list of airlines that Qantas is inferior to.

JQ is designed to have a cost advantage of QF and it usually manages that - but its amusing to read here how JQ appears superior to QF on just about every criteria mentioned.

Chuckle.

It sounds like absolute bliss over there on the LCC. Maybe I'm the only QF customer who doesn't think "gee, I wish that was me" or "lucky beggars - THEY could have used POLI" when they see the pax loading aboard the adjacent sardine express.
I've just added a new phrase to my lexicon. Thank you.

With my OWS status via BA, I will always book QF, but I am highly flexible with regard to date, so I am hardly the typical flier.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Chuckle.

If you tried it, then I suspect that you might find JQ with a front row seat is better than Qantas in Economy
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you tried it, then I suspect that you might find JQ with a front row seat is better than Qantas in Economy
I suspect that an economy front seat on a QF 737¹ is generally better than a JQ seat, even 1A/B/C on the Airbus.

As a QF WP, It's rare that I don't get that front row seat on QF.

And yes, I have travelled both.

As an aside, I especially I detest the MEL T1 "cattle yard" departure lounge that JQ generally now use.

¹ Comparing "narrow bodied" aircraft.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:16 am

Last used JQ720 HBA-SYD in late May (only choice available for this last minute trip); seat 1C; Starter Plus fare - for which I'm still waiting to get my QFF points for!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:18 am

Last used JQ720 HBA-SYD in late May (only choice available for this last minute trip); seat 1C; Starter Plus fare - for which I'm still waiting to get my QFF points for!
Missing points occurs with all partners from time to time; have you put in a missing miles request?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Took two months for one of my flights on JQ to post - even with a online mileage request; but rest assured, that once you file a points claim online, it'll stay in the system until it's processed with.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:44 am

Thanks; I'm sure they'll turn up.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:56 am

Although based on This thread "Jetstar seriously sucks" I begin to wonder.

Many reasons there not to look favourably upon the Orange Cancer.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:55 am

You are free not to use it if it doesn't appeal. Personally I will take them in preference to Qantas on some routes, though take Virgin in preference to either of them

Have found that dealing with JQ not much different to any other carriers; have a refundable ticket and they will refund easily; have a changeable ticket and making changes is ok

Having glanced at that thread, I will treat a post where the staff of the airline are referred to as muppets and where the poster admits to having a hissy fit with the due regard it deserves
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:20 am

You are free not to use it if it doesn't appeal. <snip>
Thanks! I use this forum for all sorts of useful advice .
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AC 35K
It is unethical to charge a credit card fee that is higher than the cost to the business (imho). Typically airlines will get merchant rates of between 1-3%, which in some countries it is legal to pass along to the customer. Many countries outlaw this practice. Australia is set to introduce maximum rates because of the outrageous fees charged by some businesses. Yes, yes, there is a choice of payment methods, but come on, let's not pass along more than the actual cost of the service.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Jetstar Vs. Qantas domestics

It is outlawed in Australia! All they did when the new laws came in was to change the name of the fee!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by exoz95
It is unethical to charge a credit card fee that is higher than the cost to the business (imho). Typically airlines will get merchant rates of between 1-3%, which in some countries it is legal to pass along to the customer. Many countries outlaw this practice. Australia is set to introduce maximum rates because of the outrageous fees charged by some businesses. Yes, yes, there is a choice of payment methods, but come on, let's not pass along more than the actual cost of the service.
But then you have differing issues at play.
eg. Cabcharge - where the 10% fee was probably justified when it was paper processed dockets, with high fraud.. Even justified when the rolled out the first (expensive) electronic machines on expensive wireless data paths... now not justified.

eg. Qantas - who will charge the same $7 domestic fee whether on a $90 special (~8% so unjustified) or a $1800 business Syd-Per (0.3% so losing money) - on a blended basis they probably aren't making much,
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
But then you have differing issues at play.
eg. Cabcharge - where the 10% fee was probably justified when it was paper processed dockets, with high fraud.. Even justified when the rolled out the first (expensive) electronic machines on expensive wireless data paths... now not justified.
In Victoria, I believe that the government are imposing a max charge of 5% on Cab Charge though don't know from what date this will be imposed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.