Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar Vs. Qantas domestics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Perhaps time to stop pre-judging Jetstar and try them out

If you like being 1st off the aeroplane and having effectively unlimited legroom in economy, Jetstar beats most QF domestic aeroplanes
As I said, I've flown them internationally and would happily do so again at the front of the plane. If there's a flight that suits my timing then I will consider them next time I fly to Brisbane.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
This post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20900666-post12.html might suggest otherwise. JQ flight cancelled and passenger rebooked onto VA at the same time as the due JQ flight

I would class JQ more like flying on a domestic US carrier than a EU LCC.

Baggage is extra, food n drinks are extra and all that is included is the travel

JQ approach not dissimilar to AA/UA/DL et al, except (ime) that the cabin tends to be better maintained on JQ and less hand luggage issues due to people not able to bring the kitchen sink on as hand luggage
That is encouraging about rebooking on VA at same time. It certainly an improvement over earlier reported experiences (although we tend to only hear about the bad experiences, not the good ones, such is the nature of media - social or traditional).

I disagree about being more like flying on a domestic US carrier. In economy, generally I'd prefer to fly Jetstar Mainly for the reasons you outline in your last sentence, and also you can get semi-decent food generally irrespective of flight length or time of departure. .
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I disagree about being more like flying on a domestic US carrier. In economy, generally I'd prefer to fly Jetstar Mainly for the reasons you outline in your last sentence, and also you can get semi-decent food generally irrespective of flight length or time of departure. .
I think it was a fair comparison in what is offered by the airlines; i.e. charging for luggage / food etc ; I would also generally prefer to fly on JQ than economy on a US carrier
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
<snip>

I would not agree with another poster's assertion that QF is better pre-flight nor that JQ's fare rules are onorous and worse than QF's nor that Qf is better post flight

<snip>
I dare say !

But its nonsense to say that JQ's fare rules are not more onerous or worse than QF's. And we're talking about their 'everyday' fares here, not the QF sale fares which do have strict conditions. As a LCC JQ must make their fare conditions suit the price (as QF does with sales). And they do. You don't hear of too many interstate school trips cancelled because their QF flight was cancelled in its entirity and the next flight offered was a week away!! You do with JQ. I'm not saying the fare conditions are wrong, but its simply the case that "caveat emptor" means much more when you buy JQ than with QF..

Its also nonsense to suggest QF is not better post flight. I specifically mentioned points - you CAN get points on JQ, but you specifically pay a higher fare for them! With QF it sorta comes with the territory (as long as you belong to the QFF of course). Also, post flight, if you have a JQ connection, you have to collect your bags off the carousel and re-check. You reckon that's an equal experience to QF's baggage-to-your destination?

JQ use non air bridge stations at the end of terminal piers even at major airports (cheaper) much, much more frequently than QF. So pax climb the stairs to board and de-plane in all weather. I'd prefer air bridges, thanks.

The bit about row 1 being a 'quick exit' is true (for that extra cost), but you are more likely to be at the far end of a terminal pier, so the 'time saved' is questionable!

Horses for courses. The JQ model works a treat for the Qantas corporation. Many pax happy to suffer the lower service and risk the fare rules for the lower price. That is, until something goes wrong. Then there's the wailing and gnashing of teeth because they expect the service and 'rules' to be the same as they are used to on QF and even VA. It and they are not. Nor should they be for the discounted price.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:06 am

Jetstar's standard fares

Non Refundable
Changeable - for fee of $40 plus fare difference
Changes permitted before departure time of flight

Qantas red-e-deals
Non refundable
Changeable - for fee of $65 plus fare difference
Changes permitted up to day before the flight

In what way is Jetstar's lowest fare more onorous than Qantas. It has a lower change fee and allows changes right up to departure time

Points are just an outcome of travel - if the price is cheaper then better than a few points imo

It also often costs only a small amount extra to get the flexibility to change at will on Jetstar

Just did a random check for 20th June -
Jetstar $65 plus $19 for plus bundle ( if wanting flexibility) plus $24 for row 1 - total $108
Qantas , also at 6am , $165 for red-e-deal

I wouldn't rate QF as being $57 better, plus the JQ fare has no change fees

How is JQ's flexible $108 fare more onorous in conditions to QF's $165 fare? Even with the starter fare at $89 and a change fee of $40, I cannot see that its terms are more onorous

Jetstar uses aerobridges on routes which I have used

I have not found Jetstar's gates to be any better or worse than others. Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane ( ime ) seems to be pretty even

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 11, 2013 at 2:32 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

I recently had to fly JQ to Ballina as the Virgin flight times were not suitable. Overall a pretty forgettable experience with a couple of exceptions, which relate to the booking process.

With QF when you book the fees are transparent and they default to NOT purchase the extras (travel insurance, carbon offsets, etc). Also, while the QF credit card fees are a rip off they are nothing compared to JQ.

JQ's booking system imo is designed to mislead and/or deceive. I was booking for 2 people and wanted to add luggage for one person. This was not the most straightforward exercise and I had to have two goes at it. It was of course much easier to add luggage for both people. It was also necessary to actively reject the carbon offsets etc etc in the seemingly endless list of extra cost options.

Finally the credit card fee of $8.50 per person per leg is simply highway robbery. As I mentioned above, QF's fee is generally ridiculous but is less than half of JQ's and at least now and again QF's will be ok (eg when booking J flights).

I know there are other options than paying by credit card, but JQ does not even have a BPAY option.

No doubt JQ have their target market clearly defined and their approach is aimed at extracting maximum $$ from that market. I think their approach, while probably legal, seems to me to be somewhat unethical and why I will always avoid them where I can.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by theassassin
INo doubt JQ have their target market clearly defined and their approach is aimed at extracting maximum $$ from that market. I think their approach, while probably legal, seems to me to be somewhat unethical and why I will always avoid them where I can.
Conversely there are those customers (in the know, or more experienced) that "game" Jetstar and extract maximum value from them too (eg through price beat guarantee).

They have their place. If I can fly on Jetstar for $65 and luggage when Qantas or Virgin are charging $265, well I know which I will take.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:07 am

I know there are other options than paying by credit card, but JQ does not even have a BPAY option.
It has POLI which , unlike Qantas and BPAY, can be used even within 7 days of departure

Alternatively, if holding a jetstar credit card, no fee applies

POLI is useable assuming have a bank account with any of

ANZ
Bank Of Melbourne
Bank of Queensland
BankSA
BankWest
Bendigo Bank
Commonwealth
Westpac
NAB
Suncorp Bank
St. George Bank

I will agree that JQ's card fee is a lot higher, but conversely would say that it is easier to avoid than QF's
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:15 am

I know there is an ability to navigate the JQ web-site and avoid all the fees and get a good deal, but my point is that it feels like walking across a narrow rope bridge with crocodiles below, where the slightest mis-step costs you an arm and a leg.

For me, that's not pleasant and I suspect for many, it's a costly experience.

If you want to get a similar perspective, have a look at ABC's "The Checkout" on iView if you
Have not seen it.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:23 am

I know there is an ability to navigate the JQ web-site and avoid all the fees and get a good deal, but my point is that it feels like walking across a narrow rope bridge with crocodiles below, where the slightest mis-step costs you an arm and a leg.
Seems a major overreaction. Yes, things do need to be unselected, but as long as just making sure that price at the end matches the expected price, then not much to worry about

I do think that bemoaning that JQ has no BPAY option is disingenuous given that it does have POLI which can be done at any time before departure vs 7 days for BPAY
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:40 am

I know I am not going to convince you, but i think the analogy holds true. I am pretty careful about these things, but still needed three goes to get it right wrt to luggage fees, other extras and payment options. I suspect "Joe Public" might get trapped every now and again.

I don't disagree on POLI, just wish I knew what it was... (I know I can find out with a Google search, and then perhaps register, etc etc, but would rather just have BPay as an option like everyone else...).
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:45 am

I don't disagree on POLI, just wish I knew what it was... (I know I can find out with a Google search, and then perhaps register, etc etc, but would rather just have BPay as an option like everyone else...).
Register? It just uses internet banking

http://www.polipayments.com/consumer

No more hassle imo than BPAY. Not wanting to learn what something is is hardly an argument. How would one use BPAY if not knowing what it is

As far as everyone else, Virgin Australia also uses POLI and Tiger seems not to offer a BPAY option.

Of the 4 main carriers, only ONE uses BPAY and 2 use POLI and 1 only has debit mastercard to avoid fee

I will agree that the Jetstar site isn't very nice to use, however I can handle using a website once in a while

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:59 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:48 am

Ok, ok. POLI is awesome. :-). Jetstar's web-site still sucks!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Having recently done CNS - MEL on both Qantas and Jetstar I really don’t see Qantas as being worth any extra (on that route). On the Qantas flight we had delays both ways, dreadful service where passengers were taking finished trays of awful food to the back after having sat with them for an hour, alcohol was $6 and no IFE for a 3 hour flight.

Will just take Jetstar next time.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
JQ can be ok if you are up the front. If you don't pay to select a seat (quite often companies will not pay for this) and end up down the back it can be VERY tight. The crew attitudes can be a bit blunt and unnecessarily rude at times, probably comes from dealing with infrequent travellers all the time. Though so do Easyjet, and their crews are generally very good.

That said, sometimes the price or route dictates they must be used, and I think they have got a lot better than they used to be. I think since Bruce Buchanan (CEO who liked giving Michael O'Leary type quotes where he viewed pax as a nuisance and they should all shut up and stop complaining) left, the airline has got better with customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.