Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF94 - First Class meal flexibility?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The supper service is the same as the dinner service minus one course and with one fewer choice of main dish; it is more lavish than the UA full dinner service in F (in terms of quality and even quantity of food as well as selection) -- just to put it into perspective. Quite a few QF long-haul flights, not just ex-LAX, offer supper service, mostly to do with time of departure and sector length. LAX is perhaps noteworthy for being such a long sector, and also having some pax connecting after a full day of travel on AA without meals ... so they are hungry going into the lounge and/or boarding the plane, despite being midnight. Other pax leave their food, which is why QF has cut back on the catering a bit, to suit pax demand
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by thadocta
You lost me on the first page when it started "Neil Perry is one of Australia's most exciting chefs" - biggest WOFTAM I have ever come across.

Dave
I presume Mr Perry is behind the QF campaign to abbreviate salads to the point where you an see the bottom of the bowl (before you eat it)?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by og
I presume Mr Perry is behind the QF campaign to abbreviate salads to the point where you an see the bottom of the bowl (before you eat it)?
I asked Neil that a couple of weeks ago over dinner, and he assured me that it was a Joyce initiative.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
I asked Neil that a couple of weeks ago over dinner, and he assured me that it was a Joyce initiative.
Hmmm. Sad really. You remember the bad things but rarely remember the stack of good things. A few salad leaves are one of the cheapest things in the menu - but it is really annoying when the first parts of the menu are abbreviated to the point of stupidity.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by thadocta
You lost me on the first page when it started "Neil Perry is one of Australia's most exciting chefs" - biggest WOFTAM I have ever come across.
I had never even heard of Neil Perry until Qantas started throwing his name around.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Himeno
I had never even heard of Neil Perry until Qantas started throwing his name around.
He is quite famous in the 90s with the Rockpool at its peak.
Now is just ok
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:25 am

On this sector as well as QF12 LAX - SYD the First crew cook to order so there should be a reasonable selection left over for those who go straight to sleep and prefer to eat later. In addition, there is a selection of lighter meals or snacks including the steak sandwich (sometimes not available as a refreshment as it is very popular as a lighter meal and ordered straight after takeoff) available any time. Forget mentioning it to the first host, it may get lost in a handover somewhere along the line. Just ask the crew before takeoff if you can have your choice of meal kept aside for later in the flight. I'm sure they would be happy to oblige. If you don't get your desired response to this, mention it to the CSM when they say hello and they will ensure it happens. The only option that may not be available is a soup as this is loaded hot in a flask and depending on when you choose to eat may have gone cold. However, there is usually a second soup option that can be cooked to order. Hope this helps and enjoy your flight.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
What I like to do is to fly out the LAX from the East Coast in the morning, get a hotel for the day and try to sleep all day if you can. Then you are awake when you board the 14 hour flight.

My view - you really want to stay up for the first 1/2 of the flight (first 7 hours) - then go to sleep for the second 7 hours. Since you arrive early in the morning in MEL - then you are now on their time.

Otherwise you sleep the first 7 hours, wake up which is really midnight Australia time and basically stay up all night Australia time - not good for trying to adjust.

If you can change your flight to LAX - go early in the morning - get hotel and sleep. Do a 6am departure to LAX from the east - then you are tired when you get to LAX.

Then enjoy the full meal service at 1am LAX time - but that is really 8pm MEL time.

If two of you are traveling - you can dine together in one of your suites. Very nice.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The flight departs between 5:30pm and 7:00pm MEL time depending on daylight savings.

My tried and true for the 14+ hours QF94 is to try to stay awake for four hours having supper and watching a movie or two. Then with 10 hours to go, it is around 10pm-11pm in MEL and it is time to get some sleep before being woken 2 hours before landing for breakfast.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
My tried and true for the 14+ hours QF94 is to try to stay awake for four hours having supper and watching a movie or two. Then with 10 hours to go, it is around 10pm-11pm in MEL and it is time to get some sleep before being woken 2 hours before landing for breakfast.
Exactly the same with the 16 hr YVR-SYD on AC. This flight also has the advantage of getting into SYD after the worst of the early rush. Waking at about 0600 SYD time for an ~0800 arrival works beautifully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.