Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas commitment to Asia Business Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas commitment to Asia Business Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tt7
Beats me but I flew QF 35 MEL-SIN a couple of weeks ago and QF 36 SIN-MEL earlier this week (in Y both ways). As we were taxiing in SIN, the captain came on to say "we don't have too many of you on board tonight -- which won't make the bosses happy - so after take-off, feel free to spread out. However, please stay in your assigned seats until after take-off" (i.e., there are so few of you, you'll muck up our load balance calculations).

I'm flying QF 35 again next week (on my way to the U.K. again). Currently, there are 31 (out of 275) seats assigned in Y. The flight a couple of weeks ago was similar, although in the event there were more on board (though not a helluva a lot more) so I guess many Y passengers don't get seat assignments until they are at the airport. The J loads looked to be "ok" (maybe 60%?) but with that Y load, QF won't be able to afford to fly this route much longer.....
it costs non status Y pax $25 to reserve a seat. Many wouldn't I'm guessing..
Old May 19, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tt7
Beats me but I flew QF 35 MEL-SIN a couple of weeks ago and QF 36 SIN-MEL earlier this week (in Y both ways). As we were taxiing in SIN, the captain came on to say "we don't have too many of you on board tonight -- which won't make the bosses happy - so after take-off, feel free to spread out. However, please stay in your assigned seats until after take-off" (i.e., there are so few of you, you'll muck up our load balance calculations).
Same story yesterday on QF82

Got the check in agent to block two entire middle sections in the forward cabin for myself and a friend, and we weren't the only ones to have entire segment of seats to themselves.

Why QF continues to operate this flight and QF 6 a few hours apart is mind boggling.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Who knows? I would much rather leave later from SIN. What I don't understand is why QF doesn't land one flight into SYD at 6am freeing up the early arrival time slot for QF12 to be able to land into SYD at 5am and then letting PER & ADL PAX arriving from LAX to make an earlier connection through SYD.

I would then land the second flight at 8 to 8:30am into SYD as this would let you get off the plane in SYD and be in the office by 9:30 to 10am. It also opens up more connections into SIN for same day transit to SYD and offers a better sleep due to the later departure ex SIN.

I really like the range of flights offered by SQ, especially the daytime flight options. Killing the daytime SIN-SYD flight killed my QF SIN business.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by nonce
Who knows? I would much rather leave later from SIN. What I don't understand is why QF doesn't land one flight into SYD at 6am freeing up the early arrival time slot for QF12 to be able to land into SYD at 5am and then letting PER & ADL PAX arriving from LAX to make an earlier connection through SYD.

I would then land the second flight at 8 to 8:30am into SYD as this would let you get off the plane in SYD and be in the office by 9:30 to 10am. It also opens up more connections into SIN for same day transit to SYD and offers a better sleep due to the later departure ex SIN.

I really like the range of flights offered by SQ, especially the daytime flight options. Killing the daytime SIN-SYD flight killed my QF SIN business.
QF is already doing that. QF 82 lands into SYD at 6.10 am and QF 6 lands into SYD at 8.05 am. Only what is missing is a daytime SIN to SYD like the former QF 32.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:32 am
tt7

Originally Posted by tt7
I'm flying QF 35 again next week (on my way to the U.K. again). Currently, there are 31 (out of 275) seats assigned in Y. The flight a couple of weeks ago was similar, although in the event there were more on board (though not a helluva a lot more) so I guess many Y passengers don't get seat assignments until they are at the airport.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it costs non status Y pax $25 to reserve a seat. Many wouldn't I'm guessing..
Good point!

I didn't do a definitive headcount but QF 35 (MEL-SIN) had about 80 of us in Y today (May 20) so about a 30% load. J looked to be pretty full.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tt7
Good point!

I didn't do a definitive headcount but QF 35 (MEL-SIN) had about 80 of us in Y today (May 20) so about a 30% load. J looked to be pretty full.
same same for HKG tomorrow - looking wide open across the board. Obviously off peak! (return fares for departure tomorrow were still in the $800 region for a return if that's any indication of how empty the flight is!)
Old May 23, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
What are loads like on HKG flights from SYD and MEL generally? Must be enough to justify an A380 out of SYD.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SQ421
Same story yesterday on QF82

Got the check in agent to block two entire middle sections in the forward cabin for myself and a friend, and we weren't the only ones to have entire segment of seats to themselves.

Why QF continues to operate this flight and QF 6 a few hours apart is mind boggling.
I'm on QF6 early Aug (sun night) and I see the 744 has morphed into a 333. Indicative of the low Y loads others have observed?
Old May 31, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Slightly OT, but has anyone noticed whether QF have changed their checkin times at Sydney. The LA, SIN and Dallas flights all depart within 15 mins now, making it very hard to get a spa appointment if you are on the Dallas flight. As I can check in at the first suite, should I be trying to get their earlier than the 3 hours.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: QF Platinum
OT...

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Besides some would say questionable corporate safety culture I think OZ is one of the best airlines around, so I wonder what you mean by "fairly poor codeshare partner to ICN".
Couldnt agree more!

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/as...nc/photo.shtml

You have to wonder what kind of training happens at OZ when a 747 crew after having accidentally turned into the wrong bay (easy mistake no big deal - just annoy the ground crews by parking at the wrong bay or calling for a tug) then decides to chuck a u-turn - clips the tail of the aircraft at the next bay then to dislodge it, cranks the thrust up to takeoff power ...
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
I think it's just the Y market for SYD-SIN has somehow disappeared recently. Even SQ is selling discount fares ex-SIN ($688 SGD, a price that hasn't been seen for years), and Scoot had no problems cutting its daily service to 6-weekly temporarily. on QF's side, I think the J pax are still around, but Y+ looks a little empty as well. The exception is at the end of June/early July with the NSW school holidays.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Unhappy QF129

Another example.

I note that in one of the busiest weeks for SYD-PVG (last week of financial year) that QF129 is only flying 6 days a week. In fact it seems it has mostly been six days for the start of this year if my source is accurate.

So QF's option when I try to change an existing booking to that week?

Offer me a spot on a China Eastern operated code share.

If they were running 7 days and it was booked out I'd be a little more understanding.

It is good for them that they have the option to charge QF prices for MU travel but I am not sure how good it is for the customers.

I feel I may be looking for a bigger soap box this year.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I think it's just the Y market for SYD-SIN has somehow disappeared recently. Even SQ is selling discount fares ex-SIN ($688 SGD, a price that hasn't been seen for years), and Scoot had no problems cutting its daily service to 6-weekly temporarily. on QF's side, I think the J pax are still around, but Y+ looks a little empty as well. The exception is at the end of June/early July with the NSW school holidays.
+1. There seems to always be good J demand into Singapore, but Y can often be had for much cheaper than other destinations in Asia.

Maybe QF should perhaps revisit the Red Q/Far Q concept out of Singapore. Perhaps with some Airbus 321 configured similar to what AA are doing Transcontinental between LAX/SFO and JFK. Something like 24J/16W/60Y (really rough calcs here) might be more ideal for the Singapore route.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
+1. There seems to always be good J demand into Singapore, but Y can often be had for much cheaper than other destinations in Asia.

Maybe QF should perhaps revisit the Red Q/Far Q concept out of Singapore. Perhaps with some Airbus 321 configured similar to what AA are doing Transcontinental between LAX/SFO and JFK. Something like 24J/16W/60Y (really rough calcs here) might be more ideal for the Singapore route.
actually isn't the AA 321 configured with 10 full flat F as well as 24 full flat J?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
actually isn't the AA 321 configured with 10 full flat F as well as 24 full flat J?
The AA 321T's will have 10F, 20J, 36Y+, 36Y for 102 seats. Of course, AA Y+ takes up less space then QF Y+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.