Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IT services at AKL Flounge

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
IT services at AKL Flounge

I was at the Auckland First lounge today. In the "Business Centre" there is a single ancient PC. Internet is so slow as to be unusable. I couldn't ever load the Qantas homepage. I managed to get on to my work webmail, but the crucial document that I needed to download and print was *.docx and the PC only has an older version of Office and couldn't read it. Downloading conversion tools or OpenOffice was of course out of the question.

I think the services in the J lounge might be better? And I realise most people there were using the wifi. But, for an Flounge, surely they could provide at least one of the nice Macs found elsewhere...

Flight was FJ to NAN on their new A330. Very nice business cabin, and I got lucky on the supercheap introductory fares, but will be interesting to see with the new planes if the business fares remain a popular SC run option.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
For the last few year there have been just the two PC's - I guess one died.

Be aware that Qantas may be trying to do away altether with PC's full stop - the new refurbished SIN lounge opened with none - and that was planned - there have been quite a few complaints I believe.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:14 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I noticed that there were a few missing mice from the iMacs at SYD T3. Seems they should have been tethered with good wire. Maybe the era of stand alone PCs or similar are gone.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
More complaints about the lack of printers than PCs... but I agree a couple of PCs would be good.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by serfty
Be aware that Qantas may be trying to do away altether with PC's full stop - the new refurbished SIN lounge opened with none - and that was planned ...

Just what were they thinking? What use is internet without a computer? Not everyone travels with one.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Between my laptop, tablet and smartphone I struggle to see the need for many in this day and age.
A printer that accepts emailled jobs however I would like.

AA has a great one in the T4 LA lounge that issues a pin that you then use to retrieve a print job
Old May 15, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by moa999

AA has a great one in the T4 LA lounge that issues a pin that you then use to retrieve a print job
Actually, they exist in most A/C's through the USA.

I use a USB key drive with Firefox portable installed, having all my shortcuts etc. with QF lounge PC's ...

Last edited by serfty; May 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Old May 15, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by Interlude
Flight was FJ to NAN on their new A330. Very nice business cabin, and I got lucky on the supercheap introductory fares, but will be interesting to see with the new planes if the business fares remain a popular SC run option.
Seems a pretty expensive SC run (at least from AKL) - unless I am missing something. NZD1300 for 160SCs?
Old May 16, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
oh I wouldn't touch the AKL F machines. The anti-virus on those have been out of date for well um years ......
Old May 16, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I always use the J computers. They are a lot better than the (usually 1 operating) F machine.
Old May 17, 2013, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by moa999
Between my laptop, tablet and smartphone I struggle to see the need for many in this day and age.
A printer that accepts emailled jobs however I would like.

Yep, I would be happy with that... And free wireless of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.