Wiki Posts
Search

Status credits

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Status credits

Hi there, can anyone tell me how many SCs I will get for flying with Cathay - Mel to HKG-LHR and then return? I have looked on the FF page but it says that it is not a direct route? I am flying premium economy on an E class ticket, which I checked is eligible for FF miles but don't know about SCs?

Any help gratefully received

Regards

Isabel
Old May 6, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look in the QF web site for MEL-HKG then HKG-LHR. They will be seperate flight numbers

Edit: The other thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-business.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm Reason: desperate to separate (spell checkers !!)
Old May 6, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
They will be desperate flight numbers

LOL... I hope not!!, I think Mwenenzi means "disparate".

You need to refer to the Qantas Table (unlike points, for SCs the earn rate is the same across all oneworld airlines). As Mwenenzi hinted, you need to treat this as two separate flights, MEL-HKG and HKG-LHR then using the Great Circle Mapper work out the distance.

MEL-HKG is 4590 miles
HKG-LHR is 5994 miles

According to the table above, that should earn you 60+80 SCs each way or 280 SCs in total.

Regards,

BD
Old May 6, 2013, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

I tried that and it just says there are no direct flights between HKG and LHR. I assume because its a Cathay flight. Any other ideas??
Old May 6, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Look in the QF web site for MEL-HKG then HKG-LHR. They will be desperate flight numbers
Desperate for what??

I assume you meant Separate ...
Old May 6, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Isabelt28
I tried that and it just says there are no direct flights between HKG and LHR. I assume because its a Cathay flight. Any other ideas??
Hi Isabelt28,

The QF Earning Points Calculator which you probably used to calculate the SCs between HKG and LHR would NOT have provided the results I showed you because QF do not fly between the two points.

As I explained, you have to manually calculate the distance using the Great Circle Mapper and then look up the SC earn in the Status Credit Earn Table.

The Status Credit Earn Table (linked to in my earlier post) and the QF Earning Points Calculator (linked above) are two separate - nearly said "disparate"!! - pages.

Whatever, you'll earn 280 SCs for your return journey.

On an aside, can I ask how much you're paying for this trip??

Regards,

BD
Old May 6, 2013, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

A lot of money!! It's $3300... And before everyone says I've been ripped off, I'm aware of that, but I have to go back to the UK for a funeral and I'm only going for a week...but I just couldn't afford business and when I've been in PE before (with BA) it did just make it that teeny bit nicer.

280 SCs will take me to QFF gold, so that's a bit if a bonus...
Old May 6, 2013, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and thank you BTW...don't know where my manners are!!
Old May 6, 2013, 8:45 pm

A lot of money!! It's $3300... And before everyone says I've been ripped off, I'm aware of that, but I have to go back to the UK for a funeral and I'm only going for a week...but I just couldn't afford business and when I've been in PE before (with BA) it did just make it that teeny bit nicer.

280 SCs will take me to QFF gold, so that's a bit if a bonus...
Hi Isabelt28, sorry to hear of the circumstances of your trip.

Actually, not a lot of money. I also recently returned for a funeral (2nd this year ... I'm hoping these things don't come in threes!!), QF PE was pricing up at around $6K ... yes, I realise it's more J- than Y+ ... but still!!

Regards,

BD
Old May 6, 2013, 8:46 pm

Oh, and thank you BTW...don't know where my manners are!!
You're welcome - your head, understandably, is probably elsewhere.

Regards,

BD
Old May 6, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

That's why I went with Cathay, seems cheaper but still get SCs and points. Will do a trip review when done. Qatar had a good deal for $6k in business, but I just couldn't afford it and until they're in OW there would have been no advantage.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:04 pm

Qatar had a good deal for $6k in business, but I just couldn't afford it and until they're in OW there would have been no advantage.
My two recent trips were on MH J at $5.6k each. Found them to be very good in the air - lounges are pretty ordinary and there's little choice at KL.

Regards,

BD
Old May 7, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: QF WP
To save manual calcs of SCs for non-QF OW flights, recommend iPhone users to download this free app:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/freq...434568470?mt=8
It lets you punch in any combo of airport codes and classes to calculate points and SCs. Points will vary by carrier but the SCs is on the money.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I also have a status credit question. I hope it's ok to ask here rather than start another short thread.

Until I joined this forum, I didn't know there was such a thing as a status credit. I joined QFF several years ago when Woolworths introduced the Everyday Rewards program.

I booked return flights in July-August BNE-ABZ on BA. They're all booked as BA tickets. I haven't flown on a QF flight for several years. I logged into my QFF account and my anniversary date is 31st August.

From what I've read on the QFF site, you need to fly 4 eligible Qantas or Jetstar flights per year. My question is: What constitutes an "eligible" flight as opposed to an ineligible one?

My second question is: Any status credits I'll earn on my BA flight will really only be valid until the 31st August, and even then, I'd have to have flown 4 times with Qantas by then anyway. Is that correct?
Old May 19, 2013, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

An eligable QF flight is a flight where you are booked on a Qantas or jetstar flight number and is eligable to earn points

Any SCs you earn up to 31 August will be lost when membership year is reset

I would suggest that if you want status that you join the AA AAdvantage FF scheme sign up for the AA Platinum Challenge ( $250 sign up fee ) since a r/t BNE-ABZ on BA flight numbers will be enough to earn Platinum status ( OW Sapphire c.f. QF Gold status ) until 28 Feb 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.