Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advise Please: QF points upgrade on AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K

I tried to do a search within the forum and can't find answer to this.

I will need to book a work travel from Melbourne - Chicago in V class. I am thinking crediting it to AA and V class with AA codeshare will give me 100% mile flew, while QF on V class and crediting to AA will give me 50% mile flew, For the Mel-LAX leg, it is AA codeshare operated by QF....

Does anyone know if i can use QF points to upgrade to business? I am a QF platinum so my chance of using points to upgrade is slightly higher...(not guaranteed)

I went to AA website and the AA system-wide upgrade cannot be used on codeshare flights....

Thanks!!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF points can only be used to upgrade a QF flight number on QF aircraft
QF points cannot be used to upgrade an AA flight number on QF aircraft
AA miles cannot be used to upgrade an AA flight number on QF aircraft

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 9, 2013 at 1:39 am
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!! I guess I will have to sit in economy then...
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want to credit to AA and increase your mileage earning too , then an AA Platinum Challenge would do nicely. Instead of earning 19,332 miles would earn 28,998 miles. $250 for 9666 miles is not too shabby a price and would be able to get benefits of AA Platinum status

If you take a route where you can get 10k miles on outbound, you can have platinum status on arrival in ORD and so ( assuming return will be long enough after arrival to be able for flights to credit ) can use the domestic upgrade benefits of Platinum status to request upgrade on domestic leg in US ( though would cost USD120 to purchase the 4 required to get to LAX or $270 for the 9 required to get to HNL if you go via HNL to Oz )

19,332/28,998 AA miles can have a better value than 19,332 QF miles. ( 17,500 miles is enough for a business class one way anywhere in AU/NZ to anywhere else in AU/NZ for example )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I am planning on doing that in July this year so the platinum status will last until feb 2015. Can't really route through different places due to corporate policy. So I will get to platinum after ord - lax and before lax - Mel.

I think I will just stick with AA... The $3400 tickets in v class and 144k QF points are a bit too much... I can use QF for short haul flights...
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yucci18
Thanks, I am planning on doing that in July this year so the platinum status will last until feb 2015. Can't really route through different places due to corporate policy. So I will get to platinum after ord - lax and before lax - Mel.
If you were to do this as MEL-LAX-ORD, then you would attain status on the ORD-LAX sector. You will get the platinum bonus on the flight on which you attain platinum status so would get 9666 outbound and 2x9666 inbound

I do not know what your corporate policy is, but the AA V fare MEL-ORD is a mileage based fare allowing 11,626 miles. There would be no additional cost except maybe a few minor taxes if you were to deviate slightly to get the extra 334 miles. Alternatively , if you happen to have a trip on Qantas r/t MEL-SYD or similar after June 16 ( just make sure to get 1 qualifying point per mile fare such as V class ) and before you do your US trip, that will also get you Platinum by end of outound journey ( even at 50% earning, 439 miles MEL-SYD and another SYD-MEL more than meets the 334 needed )

I am not a great fan of unnecessary flying, but an extra 334 miles on 9666 miles is something even I would consider

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not a great fan of unnecessary flying, but an extra 334 miles on 9666 miles is something even I would consider
Ahhhhh, you must be weakening in your old age Dave . Perhaps you need more quiet time in the Flounge (DBX of course. . )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.