Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 - VH-OQA - Nancy -Broken IFE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
A380 - VH-OQA - Nancy -Broken IFE

I flew SYD-HKG yesterday on the A380 that coincidentally was involved in the QF 32 incident.

Well before take off, 30 minutes, I told the flight attendants that the seat side controller did not work - no control of lights, seat, etc. The manual override for the seat did work. They tried to reset many times and eventually told me they would do a hard reset after take off.

After take off. Hard reset does not work. I move from 3A to 4F and... the IFE does not work. In fact, the IFE did not work for any of the F seats - and perhaps a few other seats.

To add to the excitement, two men, Asians, diplomatic couriers, refuse to allow their very big and heavy diplomatic bag to be relocated for take off. Stand off and they were close to being off loaded.

More yelling after take off - now about the IFE.

End state. Staff handled it as well as anyone could. Purser provided 400 AUD duty free credit for those affected - or at least that was what I got.

Real question. Why this type of electronic/computer problem with a well established aircraft.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:18 am

Programs: QFF
I had no issues on OQA on QF2 LHR-SIN last November... Maybe there was a bug in the update when they uploaded the new IFE programs?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VA ,AA, Marriott LTG
A380 - VH-0QA - Nancy -Broken IFE

Well waiting in SIN to join QF1 and have been told the IFE on the inbound aircraft is cactus. Given an allowance to buy a book at the newsagent just show your BP. I wonder is it the same aircraft??
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by globalflyer11
Well waiting in SIN to join QF1 and have been told the IFE on the inbound aircraft is cactus. Given an allowance to buy a book at the newsagent just show your BP. I wonder is it the same aircraft??
Nope, it's VH-OQL if I've found it right! Was this for all cabins? What amount did you get? I wonder if it varied by class?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
We had an IFE problem on Nancy in 2010 - multiple, multiple resets and a lot of passengers with heavy fingers causing problems with those seated in front of them. There were no fights and staff handled the situation well but no compensation as far as I know. I was just glad the engines were working!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I was on VH-OQL LAX-SYD dep 29/01, arr 31/01 and IFE was working fine.

I've noticed a few of the A380s have had broken chillers here and there more frequently lately too, alongside more and more unserviceable stickers showing up in the cabin in the galley areas...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Last year we had no avod going to or coming from BNE-LAX-BNE.

I complained and got a complete brush off from Qantas. That is why I am mainly now accruing to VA
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I got $350 voucher back in late 09 for no IFE or lights in my section of a 744, LAX-BNE, in Y as a gold. It was a long 15 hours...
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad

To add to the excitement, two men, Asians, diplomatic couriers, refuse to allow their very big and heavy diplomatic bag to be relocated for take off. Stand off and they were close to being off loaded.
interesting scenario! I suppose the men couldn't really be charged (diplomatic immunity?) and from a safety perspective they were in a private space/cabin, so unlikely to impede anyone's safety except their own (although one wonders what they are instructed to do in an evac? leave the bag behind?). And I suppose if QF refused them travel they would lose a very big account to another airline.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VA ,AA, Marriott LTG
First got an allowance of S$75. Interesting as we were awaiting pushback the CSM was in the middle on announcement about how hard they were working to solve the problem when the Captain interjected and said its no good and the system would to be replaced when we got to LHR.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Last and first time I had broken IFE was at least 2 years ago on 747 LAX->SYD in PE.
Got a $400 voucher in the mail.
Didn't care much as I just sleep being an evening flight.

I'm surprised first class got the same amount, although it is just SYD->HKG
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I know the T&Cs only promise to get you from A-to-B, maybe via C, but there are some of us that choose airlines when there is a choice based on routing, service and IFE amongst other factors. If the IFE isn't working then some sort of compensation should be awarded, and a voucher to buy a novel doesn't cut it for me. (a kobo, kindle or similar and then a few e-novels maybe!! )
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dddc
I know the T&Cs only promise to get you from A-to-B, maybe via C, but there are some of us that choose airlines when there is a choice based on routing, service and IFE amongst other factors. If the IFE isn't working then some sort of compensation should be awarded, and a voucher to buy a novel doesn't cut it for me. (a kobo, kindle or similar and then a few e-novels maybe!! )
there is more to your contract with the airline than simply the Ts&Cs.

The TCs cover the actual flight (for example what happens when things go wrong with the flight itself) . Other 'soft' elements, such as seating, food, IFE, ground services and even FF points are all in a more general contract that you have with the airline relating to your total journey. They are advertised, and the airline has an obligation to provide those to you. Sometimes those benefits will conveniently be covered by consumer legislation, other times they are conveniently covered by 'PR' (the airline will just give you compensation because they want to retain you), and in some cases i guess - if you really wanted to - you could take the airline to court if they were being really stubborn.

Broken IFE and a simple voucher to buy a magazine? I would think you have a good case for more compensation than that - but in all likelihood the airline would send you a voucher or something if you pursued the matter once you got home.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
interesting scenario! I suppose the men couldn't really be charged (diplomatic immunity?)
Travelling on a diplomatic passport doesn't give you diplomatic immunity - you need to be granted this (accredited) by the country you are visiting. Travelling on a diplomatic passport usually means you don't get troubled at airports, and your diplomatic bag isn't checked. I've done a work with MSPs who are outsourcers for national governments, and I've seen diplomatic passports issued to field engeering type people, just to get replacement laptops and other spare parts out to embassies/trade missions etc in foreign countries.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'd be wanting more than $400AUD in a gift voucher if it was a paid First seat!

I'd probably also move back to business for a bit to watch some TV and then come back to First to sleep.

I'd also be asking them to serve me the F champagne in J as well, providing I was in the first few rows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.