Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD-JFK: QF A380, QF 744 or CX (in J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:30 am
Original Poster

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the hard and soft J product on the SYD-JFK route.

My understanding is that all SYD-JFK 744s have A380 product so going on the "direct" route would keep that product across the US.

Alternatively, the A380 to LAX (good J product) means LAX customs and a switch to AA. Is the AA product decent?

Or alternatively, I can go CX through HKG (stop over and see friends) and only have international flights.

What do people prefer?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't take an extra 2700 miles of flying to avoid LAX

The AA business class product is fine for a 5 hour flight, though would take QF107 the whole way
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What's the price differential? Often CX is cheaper than QF to the US and if that's the case I would definitely take CX as you will get the new J seats. These seats are fully flat and you won't have anyone walking over you to get out - very private and loads of space.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by drif
Alternatively, the A380 to LAX (good J product) means LAX customs and a switch to AA. Is the AA product decent?
You wouldn't switch to AA (unless you wanted to!) if flying inbound on QF93 as it would connect to QF107 which continues to JFK.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:49 am
Suspended

Actually for time differences on 107 it will be around 18 hours Flying time
on CX it will be 9 hour + 15 hours, should it is 24 hours flying time.

Therefore you need to assess whether the 6 extra hours is worth it. The seats are definitely better on CX.

Also for CX you get 4 flight options dep Sydney:

Dep 835am Arr (JFK) 715pm
Dep 11:30am Arr (JFK) 1015pm
Dep 3:40pm Arr (JFK) 6am (+1)
Dep 10:20pm Arr (JFK) 12:10pm (+1)

So it is more flexible than QF and you can almost squeeze in half a day work in Sydney before going on the plane (as QF 107 leaves at 11:55am)

Checkout the I Class specials ex SYD to JFK
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by drif
I'm interested in people's thoughts on the hard and soft J product on the SYD-JFK route.

My understanding is that all SYD-JFK 744s have A380 product so going on the "direct" route would keep that product across the US.

Even on the QF107 you will still have to endure US Customs and Immigration controls at LAX, the QF107 LAX-JFK is treated as a domestic flight by US authorities.

Dave
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thadocta
Even on the QF107 you will still have to endure US Customs and Immigration controls at LAX, the QF107 LAX-JFK is treated as a domestic flight by US authorities.

Dave
The good thing for 107 is that they sort of have to ensure the pax on the thru service clear immigration and customs before rejoining to JFK so I never encountered excessive amounts of waiting time. When u get to JFK can go straight out to the taxi rank
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Over the past decade I have flown JFK-SYD/MEL a dozen times, once or twice with QF and the rest with CX, usually in F. It is far better due to ability to sleep on the plane (the longer travel time is actually a plus), sector lengths, timezone change (SYD to HKG is far gentler on the body than SYD to LAX). So even ignoring the CX service advantage (maybe a wash in J with QF), it is a much better way to go. Generally I used AONEx fares, so the same, but otherwise CX is usually more expensive than QF, often thousands more, so cost might be a consideration. Westbound gives HKG an even greater advantage, ime.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Stick with QF thru to JFK. The AA J class is barely comparable to premium economy on QF.
Since you have to clear customs at LAX anyway it makes no difference from that perspective.
Depending on connection times I would choose the A380 (quieter) and then 107 to JFK . Enjoy the flight.

Last edited by AshleyF; Dec 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reason: additional text
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:25 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by AshleyF
The AA J class is barely comparable to premium economy on QF.
Having flown both numerous times, I'd have to say that's a total overstatement. I'll take AA J over QF PE any day.

If the OP "can go CX through HKG (stop over and see friends) and only have international flights." I would say it's an easy choice to pick CX.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would agree that AA J on the 3 class aeroplanes is def better than QF PE

AA J/F on their 2 class aeroplanes seating is akin to PE but on a transcontinental the meals are far better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.