Wiki Posts
Search

HBA based Mileage run

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
HBA based Mileage run

I am thinking of doing a mileage run, and I will be based in HBA mid Nov to Dec 22nd.

It seems like HBA-MEL-CBR is a popular run. Looking at availability, I will need to over night is CBR, which maybe worth it as I have never been to CBR and it will be good to look around.

I looked at HBA-MEL-ADL but I will need to spend 48k points rather than 32K

Does anyone have other suggestions. Note I can only travel on Sat/Sun due to work commitments.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
HBA-SYD-CBR - same deal, but through SYD in J;will net you an extra 20SC each way. Pretty much the same amount of points + cash required as the one via. MEL.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Another vote for HBA-SYD-CBR. I've done it, works well. You can easily get a cab to Parliament House and have a look around if you want to. Evening flights out of CBR aren't that cheap though.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by im.daniel
HBA-SYD-CBR - same deal, but through SYD in J;will net you an extra 20SC each way. Pretty much the same amount of points + cash required as the one via. MEL.
When I try this I am coming up with a minimum of 80,000 points, as opposed to 32,000 points for HBA-MEL-CBR. I am looking at 24/25 Nov and 1/2 Dec
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You need to find those flights where U class is available for the 16K each way HBA-xSYD-CBR. That's same day HBA-SYD and SYD-CBR and vv.

For Hobart, that is getting pretty tough for December/January, let alone at such relatively short notice.

If you can find them, HBA-xSYD-CBR varies between 16K QFF + ~$130 and 31K QFF + $0.

I do see one on 17th November with a return on 21st November.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
You need to find those flights where U class is available for the 16K each way HBA-xSYD-CBR. That's same day HBA-SYD and SYD-CBR and vv.

For Hobart, that is getting pretty tough for December/January, let alone at such relatively short notice.

If you can find them, HBA-xSYD-CBR varies between 16K QFF + ~$130 and 31K QFF + $0.

I do see one on 17th November with a return on 21st November.
Thanks for that. I see those on that day and I can get HBA-SYD-CBR on Nov 17, return CBR-SYD-HBA Nov 21 for 32K QFF and $248. As you say these seem to be few and far between. So maybe I will play around and do 1 way via SYD and 1 way via MEL to get the lowest cost with maximum status credits
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

The CBR-MEL sectors shows as 734, and the seat map shows as no business class. DO you just get an economy seat, with hopefully no one sat next to you? For such a short journey it does not really matter, as long as I get my business class status credits.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by workingman
The CBR-MEL sectors shows as 734, and the seat map shows as no business class. DO you just get an economy seat, with hopefully no one sat next to you? For such a short journey it does not really matter, as long as I get my business class status credits.
J seats are convertible on the 734 - you will have the middle seat blocked and the seat width increased.

They also try to rush out a meal service on the sector but you're typically still eating when the descent starts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note that via MEL earns 80 SC's and via SYD earn 100 SC's.

The 734 Are indeed convertable seats in the first 5 rows ...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Note that via MEL earns 80 SC's and via SYD earn 100 SC's.
If I could I would do the return trip via SYD, but all the weekends I am trying for in Nov/Dec I cannot get the 32k QFF returns via SYD. I can get one way via SYD so get the 100 SC for that run, and the return via MEL and just get the 80 SCs

I did get an email from QF yesterday offering double SC, but when I read it fully it was only for International Flights, and even then only to limited destinations. So my short term hopes were crushed.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I did get an email from QF yesterday offering double SC, but when I read it fully it was only for International Flights, and even then only to limited destinations. So my short term hopes were crushed.
But if you took advantage of this offer and flew in J, you could score 960 SCs with just one short trip such as MEL-LHR and return. If you left MEL on Friday arvo, you'd be back on Monday morning at sparrows. Not even enough time away to be jet lagged! Add a J return in Europe from LHR and you'd only be 120 SCs short of WP requalification. Easy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
But if you took advantage of this offer and flew in J, you could score 960 SCs with just one short trip such as MEL-LHR and return. If you left MEL on Friday arvo, you'd be back on Monday morning at sparrows. Not even enough time away to be jet lagged! Add a J return in Europe from LHR and you'd only be 120 SCs short of WP requalification. Easy
not sure my pocket could justify that status run, much as I would love to do that.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: Qantas
Agreed

not sure my pocket could justify that status run, much as I would love to do that.
I totally agree with this. Why didn't Qantas just let all their flights have double status credit?
I think they ran a similar promotion last year, which also included domestic flights.

Just a suggestion, but what about a LAN return to New Zealand in J for a MR?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Pinkmoose
Why didn't Qantas just let all their flights have double status credit?
The answer no doubt lies in the routes that are expected to be nice and profitable over the promo period. Interesting that SYD-SCL in Business is not on offer for the promo. The mining industry must be doing OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.