Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas upgrades Business Class sleep experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas upgrades Business Class sleep experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Also flew QF24 (Sat nite).

Points upgrade, and not sure I'd be keen on paying $2500 had this been a paid one way biz sector. Whilst the post departure snack was quite nice, the snack breakfast was too lite for me - minimalist choices of Ham croissant or fruit compote seemed just a bit stingy. Whilst I guess most of the premium for biz is in the additional personal space, surely what is being offered on QF24 is below par?

Sure, the bed is a touch more comfy, and the Mrs took full advantage to the extent you can on Mk1 Skybed. But the overall service is below what NZ offers in its BP biz product.

Perhaps the retimed flights with the earlier departure (18:30-ish?) will allow a better meal service.

Cheers, TK
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:48 am

I still have my QF PJs two years later (time of last upgrade) and still serviceable Never leave them on the plane!!! Maybe I am Y cheapskate!!!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, we kept the PJs!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Oh, we kept the PJs!
I just turned my F PJs into a bike rag. They shrank so much that not even Jenny Craig catering ( ) could make them useful. I hope the J PJs are not so crappy.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL, we placed ours in the dryer on high specifically to shrink them!

Must be said that at 1.7m and 1.5m, we are of only modest size and even the small was way to big for the Mrs. Heck, when we were first married we weighed 99kg combined! However the intervening 25 years has seen some creep in the weight area to a combined 115kg...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci

Must be said that at 1.7m and 1.5m, we are of only modest size and even the small was way to big for the Mrs. Heck, when we were first married we weighed 99kg combined! However the intervening 25 years has seen some creep in the weight area to a combined 115kg...
Given that is below the weight of some INDIVIDUAL passengers on flights to and from the Untied States, they really should never ever EVER charge you for excess luggage.

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Mar 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: QFF

At 1.68m I'm not particularly tall but I always find the QF pjs too short in the legs, even if I get the large ones I really hate ankle freezers!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Having travelled transpacific in both AirNZ Business Premier and Qantas Business over the weekend, AirNZ offering has a distinct edge in the respective overlay/underlay offerings.

The NZ underlay is much bulkier being more of a thin mattress than the small quilty thing QF provide. (Really, with the QF offering I could find little difference between using it or not, although it would protect the skybed better.)

Also, the overlay with NZ is larger, covering more. QF's appears to be as small as they can get away with - it has to be in exactly the right place to provide adequate coverage.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 183cm I find the large are just the right length, finishing at my ankles.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by serfty
At 183cm I find the large are just the right length, finishing at my ankles.
I knew it - they're giving me the reject jammies with short legs!!

(Hello AFFers, I'm Mardi over there)

Last edited by MissEllie; Mar 13, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by serfty
Having travelled transpacific in both AirNZ Business Premier and Qantas Business over the weekend, AirNZ offering has a distinct edge in the respective overlay/underlay offerings.

The NZ underlay is much bulkier being more of a thin mattress than the small quilty thing QF provide. (Really, with the QF offering I could find little difference between using it or not, although it would protect the skybed better.)

Also, the overlay with NZ is larger, covering more. QF's appears to be as small as they can get away with - it has to be in exactly the right place to provide adequate coverage.
I have found that the end of the seat cushions uncomfortable on QF Skybed Mk 1 and the mattress helps overcome this. It's miles better that BA's CW which I find incredibly painful.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have found that the end of the seat cushions uncomfortable on QF Skybed Mk 1 and the mattress helps overcome this. It's miles better that BA's CW which I find incredibly painful.
After trying CX's new J beds the other night, I have no desire to endure any other true flat beds. The closest in flatness comfort being UA's but these are too short for me and a little too narrow.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I should have noted it was S/B Mk2 on VH-OQB.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by og
After trying CX's new J beds the other night, I have no desire to endure any other true flat beds. The closest in flatness comfort being UA's but these are too short for me and a little too narrow.
I had chance to compare between CX new flat bed, KE flat bed and QR flat bed all within weeks of each other and none could beat QR.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Also flew QF24 (Sat nite).

Points upgrade, and not sure I'd be keen on paying $2500 had this been a paid one way biz sector. Whilst the post departure snack was quite nice, the snack breakfast was too lite for me - minimalist choices of Ham croissant or fruit compote seemed just a bit stingy. Whilst I guess most of the premium for biz is in the additional personal space, surely what is being offered on QF24 is below par?

Sure, the bed is a touch more comfy, and the Mrs took full advantage to the extent you can on Mk1 Skybed. But the overall service is below what NZ offers in its BP biz product.

Perhaps the retimed flights with the earlier departure (18:30-ish?) will allow a better meal service.

Cheers, TK
The breakfast is pathetic... but it does allow an extra one hour sleep so it's worth it. Nothing about that sector, however, feels premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.