Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

ANZ/Qantas Platinum Credit Card Devalues Insurance Coverage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

We have received a new disclosure today for the insurance component of this Platinum card, insurance provided by QBE.

Previously, the overseas travel insurance (medical, etc) was activated even if a Frequent Flyer award ticket was purchased on the Platinum card. This new disclosure seems to indicate that a minimum of $250 must be charged on the card. In many cases a "free" ticket from partner Qantas would have charges of less than $250.

Additionally, they have changed the car rental coverage to include only "Australian Registered" vehicles. This means the insurance coverage is no good overseas.

Both of these serious devaluations of the program.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Is this for BOTH the ANZ Platinum Visa Card (the one that costs $87 per year) as well as the ANZ QANTAS Visa Card (that costs much more)?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by og
Is this for BOTH the ANZ Platinum Visa Card (the one that costs $87 per year) as well as the ANZ QANTAS Visa Card (that costs much more)?
Seems to be. We have the ANZ QANTAS Visa Card.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:01 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is certainly a major devaluation in coverage. I have found this card / insurance very useful for extended trips particularly with car rentals. But it was already becoming a dogs breakfast with different durations - for example car rental insurance up to one month per rental and max total coverage up to 6 months for travel and no more coverage for the year after the 6 mths (but how they verify that - I can't understand).

Still, for $87 even with the reduced benefits, it is great value - so long as you have read the fine print.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Rats. I am just about to take up the ANZ FF Pt card, attracted by the stuff that has now been withdrawn!

Interested to hear how the card otherwise gives tangible benefits over, say plain Visas.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jimmc66
We have received a new disclosure today for the insurance component of this Platinum card, insurance provided by QBE.

Previously, the overseas travel insurance (medical, etc) was activated even if a Frequent Flyer award ticket was purchased on the Platinum card. This new disclosure seems to indicate that a minimum of $250 must be charged on the card. In many cases a "free" ticket from partner Qantas would have charges of less than $250.

Additionally, they have changed the car rental coverage to include only "Australian Registered" vehicles. This means the insurance coverage is no good overseas.

Both of these serious devaluations of the program.

I have had a platnium card for a while and I believe the $250 requirement has always been there.

Last edited by Lonely Flyer; Oct 9, 2012 at 2:38 am
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
I have had a platnium card for a while and I believe the $250 requirement has always been there.
correct. we just got a new brochure in the post, I can't see much change, except they say ff points are now covered.

I really can't see a problem spending $250... it can be for anything prepaid. I doubt (unless flying to New Zealand) that you'd get away with taxes fees and charges less than $250. for other airlines (if no YQ) you can include things like a domestic qf connection (which counts, so on my next trip on star alliance I'm flying qf to Sydney), or add a cheap hotel for one night somewhere.

all up ANZ is a great deal, especially with a six month coverage.

no idea how ANZ qantas plat pans out in comparison.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
$250 pre spend has been there for years

I think the coverage value has INCREASED. Additional cardholders are now covered without having to fly with the main holder.
As posted before, it is pretty easy to get to $250 , just by paying for the taxes on an award.
Amex gold by comparison does not cover you for FF awards , you have to buy the ticket via Amex.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AshleyF
I think the coverage value has INCREASED. Additional cardholders are now covered without having to fly with the main holder..
What is the cost of an additional card holder?

We have just been away for 5 months and to have purchased insurance it would have cost literally thousands of $$$. The ANZ deal is brilliant - so long as you know the rules - thoroughly, Their claims procedure is relatively painless too.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by AshleyF
I think the coverage value has INCREASED. Additional cardholders are now covered without having to fly with the main holder. ...
Note that on the other hand, excesses have genrally increased - some covered items/events that had been excess free are no longer so.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Has anyone claimed under the "rental Vehicle Excess Cover" ?
I never buy travel insurance. Luckily never had any sort of travel claim. Just rely on my ANZ Qantas Platinum card cover. I have always wondered though about the clause ......
"As part of the hiring arrangement you must take up all
comprehensive motor insurance or waivers offered by the rental
organisation, whether discretionary or mandatory, against loss or
damage to the Rental Vehicle during the rental period"

I refuse to take the car rental company option to buy out the excess which is just a ripoff. I just accept the standard xs of between GBP 500 and 1000.
Seems pointless to have travel insurance if I am to pay extra for a nil accident excess.

Anyone have any issues claiming under this section?

I'm in NZ and have had no notification about vehicle coverage being limited to NZ or OZ or whatever. No change on the ANZ website T & C's.

This is a very good card.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:26 am

Does the card cover in a scenario when you pay for travel when you are overseas? For example if I want to buy domestic flights in US after getting there via the credit card, am I covered by their insurance

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanpreet
Does the card cover in a scenario when you pay for travel when you are overseas? For example if I want to buy domestic flights in US after getting there via the credit card, am I covered by their insurance
In my nderstanding, the charge must be on your account before you leave Australia. This is a specific question in the claim form - ie what did you purchase, how does it relate to the trip and when was it charged.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: QF
We have an ANZ Amex Platinum. I think there's only $2k rental excess cover (a bit low for Aus, others have $5k - Westpac?).
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
Originally Posted by Ardentinny
Has anyone claimed under the "rental Vehicle Excess Cover" ?
I never buy travel insurance. Luckily never had any sort of travel claim. Just rely on my ANZ Qantas Platinum card cover. I have always wondered though about the clause ......
"As part of the hiring arrangement you must take up all
comprehensive motor insurance or waivers offered by the rental
organisation, whether discretionary or mandatory, against loss or
damage to the Rental Vehicle during the rental period"

I refuse to take the car rental company option to buy out the excess which is just a ripoff. I just accept the standard xs of between GBP 500 and 1000.
Seems pointless to have travel insurance if I am to pay extra for a nil accident excess.

Anyone have any issues claiming under this section?

I'm in NZ and have had no notification about vehicle coverage being limited to NZ or OZ or whatever. No change on the ANZ website T & C's.

This is a very good card.
I actually claimed back in 2005 for a Hertz car hire scratch in the UK (under the predecessor Gold Visa T&C). I have no recollection whether there was an optional excess waiver available but if so I did not take it. I also don't recollect the T&C of the that time. The claim was trouble free.

Likewise claimed in 2010 for a chipped windscreen repair to an Omega rental in NZ. Similar story.

I agree that the policy suits me and I have used it happily for many trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.