Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore-London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I thought seat selection was available from booking for premium cabin pax, but I stand corrected http://www.britishairways.com/travel...epted=existpop

So unless you have status, you will have to purchase seat selection.

If you have concerns about sitting together, QF agents should be able to pull up the seat map on BA, or check ExpertFlyer.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:35 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by VLJ
Thanks so much I will endeavour to try for those seats -
According to EF, 62 AB and 64 AB JK are available on 8 April (at least given the parameters I entered). Personally, I'd go for row 62. These are preferred seats and you need high status to get them.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:42 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Thank you - well we don't have 'high status' - just Silver FF.

Our return flights are not giving us a change option as yet.

We were returning 29 April LHR-SIN in J on A380 and then will purchase seats to Perth.

I wonder if the offer will be the same via BA from LHR to SIN and again seat avail in J on that flight is a concern.

If Qantas can look up for us while we are deciding that would be good - then we can go to BA and try to pre-select seats.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You ability to select seats will be in accordance with BA's policy on seat selection

If you are booked in J or C class, then seat selection can be done as soon as booking is held, so should be able to go to BA site and select seats using Manage My Booking. Once seats are selected then confirm the change

Otherwise, with QF Silver status, being OW Ruby, you will be able to select seats for free within 7 days of departure. If you are prepared to pay GBP60 ( iirc ) per person then you can select seats now

The likelihood of not getting seated together is , I would say, very low given that those without status can only select at check in time unless they are prepared to pay for seat selection.

If you choose not to accept the change, QF will refund your ticket for you
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:26 pm
VLJ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

If you are booked in J or C class, then seat selection can be done as soon as booking is held, so should be able to go to BA site and select seats using Manage My Booking. Once seats are selected then confirm the change

you
Not sure I understand you Dave - the only option at this point is to 'Confirm' acceptance of flight change ... without information on seating ... I imagine once confirming the change we could then go to BA site and select via Manage My Booking.

How can we manage the booking without confirming the change first?

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by VLJ
Not sure I understand you Dave - the only option at this point is to 'Confirm' acceptance of flight change ... without information on seating ... I imagine once confirming the change we could then go to BA site and select via Manage My Booking.

How can we manage the booking without confirming the change first?

Thanks for your help
Since you are booked on the BA flight, if you go to the BA site you will be able to access the reservation on the BA Manage Booking

If you are entitled to seat selection, you will be able to do it there and then before you call Qantas

You do not need to confirm the change with Qantas before checking the seating

I really wouldn't worry too much; the likelihood of not getting seated together is low; try and avoid the OCD on seating that tends to pervade these fora
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by VLJ
Well not impressed that Qantas has not bothered to send an email re changes to our booking. Have not checked our FF page and bookings for a while as I would have thought nothing happening with EK for a while yet.
So the first leg of our booking has note at top of it (when you log in, go to the booking and enter) then you are told the booking has changed.
Option has changed from our booking Sin-LHR on A380 QF1 at 11.59pm and the option is now BA 012 at 10.55pm on April 8 on 747.

It says to 'Confirm' or contact Qantas.

Before going into this I would like any advice on confirming this change.

How best to find out about seat options on BA?

Would QF offer seat selection for BA?

If not - do I now head to the BA Flyertalk forum?

I do not want to confirm changes unless I am assured J seating with my husband next to me - so not sure what seating availabilities there are on this flight.
I'd simply give Qantas a call. I suspect that they would be able to give you seat allocation on the BA flight and you can confirm it there and then, or you can discuss other alternatves. Or you may choose not to confirm it on the phone, think about it, then either confirm on-line or call them back. You might want to check out the BA seat config on Seat Guru before calling.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
I'd simply give Qantas a call. I suspect that they would be able to give you seat allocation on the BA flight and you can confirm it there and then, or you can discuss other alternatves. Or you may choose not to confirm it on the phone, think about it, then either confirm on-line or call them back. You might want to check out the BA seat config on Seat Guru before calling.
I do not think that they will be able to give the passenger a seat allocation. Unless the person is booked in the 2 highest business cabins ( J / C ) then there is no free seat allocation for a silver member so far in advance of departure. Looking at the other thread that the OP started on the same issue, it would seem that the OP is using an award booking ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...re-london.html ) which will not be eligable for free seat allocation until april 1

As far as available seats on BA12 on April 8 go, at the moment the only seat that has been taken is 62K . All other 69 seats are unallocated

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:27 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Since you are booked on the BA flight, if you go to the BA site you will be able to access the reservation on the BA Manage Booking

If you are entitled to seat selection, you will be able to do it there and then before you call Qantas

You do not need to confirm the change with Qantas before checking the seating

I really wouldn't worry too much; the likelihood of not getting seated together is low; try and avoid the OCD on seating that tends to pervade these fora
Dave - thank you so much. I am so relieved - as I went to BA site - entered our reference number from QF and surname and up came the flight! I did not think that could happen as it was QF and we hadn't accepted or confirmed.
So I went in ... lower deck, up the stairs - and we have the option of 64 A and B.
Nice and quiet and roomy.
However - there is a fee of around $125 each to purchase this seat selection ($100 ea for lower deck). Does this sound correct?
I am thinking perhaps we should do it and then confirm on QF FF page.
I have no idea what adjustments are made for fuel surcharges, taxes etc - being a different flight.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
As Qantas has made changes to your flights, there should be no additional fuel surcharges or other fees (other than exit seat) applied to your ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by VLJ
So I went in ... lower deck, up the stairs - and we have the option of 64 A and B.
However - there is a fee of around $125 each to purchase this seat selection ($100 ea for lower deck). Does this sound correct?
The normal BA prices in GBP are (I think) something like £80 upper deck and £65 main deck, so those AUD prices look about right.

As between 64AB and 64JK, there are divided opinions, principally about the window seats (which are both aft-facing, like all Club World window seats on the 744).

64A is more open but tends to be exposed to light from the galley and the aft toilet when the door is open. 64K is secluded and very private, but some think it feels claustrophobic; there is generally no problem with toilet noise or smells in 64K. 64B and 64J are just normal aisle seats; I wouldn't be picking them on their own, but the choice of window seats rather dictates them if you're travelling as a couple.

64A has a bassinet position which is apparently still functional, but no longer sold as such.

There's lots of info on the BA board, but this is the distilled fundamentals for row 64.

Row 62 is not available for paid pre-allocation - basically it's Emeralds, Sapphires and full fares only.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I would call QF - state you had advance seat selection on the old flight -- they have unilaterally moved you and they should arrange/pay on the new one.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:54 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Since there already is a thread by the OP about this trip I will merge the two. Again. [/mod hat]
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by VLJ
Dave - thank you so much. I am so relieved - as I went to BA site - entered our reference number from QF and surname and up came the flight! I did not think that could happen as it was QF and we hadn't accepted or confirmed.
I am thinking perhaps we should do it and then confirm on QF FF page.
I have no idea what adjustments are made for fuel surcharges, taxes etc - being a different flight.
Indeed it does cost about $125 for business class seat pre-allocation

I really would not obsess over the seating and would suggest waiting until 7 days before departure and then getting the seats for free. The likelihood of not being able to get 2 seats together is low and not worth paying $250

Since it is an involuntary change, there would be no additional fuel surcharges etc to pay even if there was a difference

I would doubt that QF will pay up for seating; they have provided a replacement flight or will provide a refund if preferred. I would not be expecting them to pay for optional extras

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.