Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas to provide passengers with iPads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas to provide passengers with iPads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I thought it was stated by QF that after the trial they would not supply the iPads but have the system so anyone with a wifi device could access the onboard IFE content.
Not quite - they always planned to roll out access for "BYO devices", as an alternative to the iPads, but best I can recall they never said up-front they would stop the iPad hand-out, although naturally you' expect at some stage they would cut down on the hardware-per-plane allocation...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:32 pm

Does anyone have any information as to which planes these will be on?

I'm on a SYD-PER, 767 this afternoon.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
Does anyone have any information as to which planes these will be on?

I'm on a SYD-PER, 767 this afternoon.
AFAIK there is only one 767 fitted with the system. I do not like your chances of getting this.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
AFAIK there is only one 767 fitted with the system. I do not like your chances of getting this.
Still only one? This pic was from February.
Thought it was pretty funny to promote something available on only "one of our 767s".
Then again, perhaps I just don't understand Aussie marketing.

Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by SFO777
Still only one? This pic was from February.
Thought it was pretty funny to promote something available on only "one of our 767s".
Then again, perhaps I just don't understand Aussie marketing.
That was marketing their pilot of Q Streaming and requesting passenger feedback about it.
Also marketing a service that really was non-existent on their fleet.....
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:27 am

The one B767 currently fitted has a 'QStreaming' sticker next to the forward entry door.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:09 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Has anyone successfully managed to connect their own iPad to the Q Streaming wifi? I tried on my last flight and when airplane mode is on, the wifi options grey out. (The FAQs on qantas.com state that their Ipads connect to wifi with airplane mode on). I turned airport mode off, and my iPad couldn't find any networks.

As for the supplied iPads, the two I looked at on previous flights were filthy, covered in muffins and other food. Clearly, they don't get cleaned.

Any ideas how they are kept charged?

Last edited by m0hamed; Dec 10, 2012 at 5:17 am
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I can turn on the wifi on both the ipad 1 & 2 we have while in flight mode. Perhaps an issue specific to your iPad?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nonce
I can turn on the wifi on both the ipad 1 & 2 we have while in flight mode. Perhaps an issue specific to your iPad?
Hmmm, will try my iPad 2 and iPhone4 again on Friday.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Any ideas how they are kept charged?
After the last flight of the day they are collected in charging carts (essentially a modified catering cart) and plugged in at a charging station set up at the airport. Once charged they are put back on the aircraft before the first flight of the day.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: QFF SG
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Has anyone successfully managed to connect their own iPad to the Q Streaming wifi? I tried on my last flight and when airplane mode is on, the wifi options grey out. (The FAQs on qantas.com state that their Ipads connect to wifi with airplane mode on). I turned airport mode off, and my iPad couldn't find any networks.
Yes.. See this post on AFF and the next: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/qantas-frequent-flyer-program/first-refurbished-767-enters-service-43818-16.html#post705892

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.