Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is it just me? or are Qantas FF miles worthless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me? or are Qantas FF miles worthless?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rcarentals
...gonna be taking some flights soon and i wanted to know where to credit them to get status?
i am looking more for status then where to put the miles,..
they are on LAN in Y class - so they should earn Full mileage and status on regular one world.
Full Y is very rare and expensive. Maybe discount economy in a range of fare buckets Y B H K M L V S N Q O G X E. Worth checking more in detail. Some are classed as earning full economy and others as discount economy or even nil.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 24, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
i checked and it should be full Y.
unless there's discount economy in Y

assuming its full Y where's best to put it?

Last edited by Rcarentals; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is full Y or B , then it will get you AA Gold status and most of the way to Platinum . 27532 miles flown will equate to 41028 qpoints of which 25k gets to Gold and then you need to get another 10k to attain Platinum

You will also be earning full miles plus 25% bonus once platinum so approx 30,710 spending miles on AA

I would suggest that this will be a good place to credit

If you can do SCL-JFK on the AA flight number, this would be a good starting candidate to get close to Platinum using the Platinum challenge, so depending on what other travel u may have on AA once in USA may be easy to get to Platinum
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is full Y or B , then it will get you AA Gold status and most of the way to Platinum . 27532 miles flown will equate to 41028 qpoints of which 25k gets to Gold and then you need to get another 10k to attain Platinum

You will also be earning full miles plus 25% bonus once platinum so approx 30,710 spending miles on AA

I would suggest that this will be a good place to credit

If you can do SCL-JFK on the AA flight number, this would be a good starting candidate to get close to Platinum using the Platinum challenge, so depending on what other travel u may have on AA once in USA may be easy to get to Platinum
you are a legend mate!
AA it is.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Update:

You may well be able to complete the platinum challenge if some of your travel is on Qantas and you can do AA codeshares to NY

Looks like the challenge rules have been modified again to allow travel on other carriers

See http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...&postcount=111

This would give you AA Platinum / OW Sapphire quite nicely as well as decent points earning

Dave
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 am

Perhaps I should start a new thread, but, related to the topic title, I just discovered that some short-distance awards that were available on AS (Alaska Airlines), now can't be ticketed using the online booking tool. That is to say, you'll have to use additional points to have these award ticketed through the phone, so you will miss out on what could have been a decent redemption option.
For example, try booking an award between EUG and SEA, and it errors out. There are many such AS airports, which were recently introduced in the booking engine and gave results until at least a couple of months ago, and which now don't work at all anymore.
Does the fact that these destination appear in the online booking engine give you a right to request a waiver of the additional points if you are forced to call to ticket these awards?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honu
Perhaps I should start a new thread, but, related to the topic title, I just discovered that some short-distance awards that were available on AS (Alaska Airlines), now can't be ticketed using the online booking tool. That is to say, you'll have to use additional points to have these award ticketed through the phone, so you will miss out on what could have been a decent redemption option.
For example, try booking an award between EUG and SEA, and it errors out. There are many such AS airports, which were recently introduced in the booking engine and gave results until at least a couple of months ago, and which now don't work at all anymore.
Does the fact that these destination appear in the online booking engine give you a right to request a waiver of the additional points if you are forced to call to ticket these awards?
i can definetly confirm that this is so with british airways but not sure about qantas.
personally tho, the wait times for qantas customer service is one of the most annoying things about qantas's airline.. i dread calling qantas!.. then add a booking fee ...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:18 pm

i can definetly confirm that this is so with british airways but not sure about qantas.
personally tho, the wait times for qantas customer service is one of the most annoying things about qantas's airline.. i dread calling qantas!.. then add a booking fee ...
BA never allowed online bookings for AS flights. However, QF allowed it not as long as three months ago. In fact, some AS itineraries can still be booked online. It appears that these are just cites connected by mainline flights, though. I just don't understand why they did away with the award-booking capability for airports that are connected by turboprop (and yet they still have them all listed online).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:24 pm

I've never waited more than 5 minutes when calling QF.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
calling from australia i've been on hold for reservations for HOURS!!!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Perhaps this is status related? Their Facebook wall is constantly full of posts reporting excessive wait times (many 1 hr+)...which seem to be acknowledged by the social media people who are constantly blaming higher than normal call volume.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Less than 1 minute IME. Yes, its prioritised on status after you input your FF #.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:16 am

Not long ago I got an email from qantas about spending 60,000 points plus almost $500 taxes for SYD - BKK return in Y.

Hmm I just booked 2 QANTAS flights SYD - BKK return in Y for $620 & $650 lol

I'm not a biz class person as I can't afford it ( I have more than 10 holidays a year) but usually use points for biz class or PE. It's not too bad on QF I think when booking any seat awards (need to work hard finding the deals) since I get points and status credits back. I'm self employed and very flexible with dates so no issue.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Perhaps this is status related? Their Facebook wall is constantly full of posts reporting excessive wait times (many 1 hr+)...which seem to be acknowledged by the social media people who are constantly blaming higher than normal call volume.
lol,.. the irony in their claim.. "for the past 5yrs we have been experiancing higher than normal call volume"...."we are sincerely sorry for the wait, and appreciate your patience"....

QANTAS! get some bloody phone agents!!!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
lol,.. the irony in their claim.. "for the past 5yrs we have been experiancing higher than normal call volume"...."we are sincerely sorry for the wait, and appreciate your patience"....

QANTAS! get some bloody phone agents!!!
As long as they are not Asian based where it is often difficult to understand them and for them to understand us. JQ and others you know what I mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.