Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Taxes/Charges on QFF Awards on AA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor

I was checking possible new routes for a QF award I have booked for October when I noticed some additional charges. One of my segments CDG-MIA would now attract charges of Euro195.21. This is more than the charges for my entire trip (CDG-SYD via MIA/LAX) when I booked it last year. If booked as an award via AA on AAdvantage the same flight attracts charges of only $US81.40. The difference (checked through ITA) turns out to be a YR (the new YQ) of Euros130.
I guess this means that AA doesn't charge AAdavantage members for YR but us unlucky flyers through QFF now have to pay it. It's another poke in the eye when we're already paying 30000 QF pts vs only 20000 AA miles (although they aren't directly comparable).

Last edited by grussellt; Jun 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by grussellt
I was checking possible new routes for a QF award I have booked for October when I noticed some additional charges. One of my segments CDG-MIA would now attract charges of Euro195.21. This is more than the charges for my entire trip (CDG-SYD via MIA/LAX) when I booked it last year. If booked as an award via AA on AAdvantage the same flight attracts charges of only $US81.40. The difference (checked through ITA) turns out to be a YR (the new YQ) of Euros130.
I guess this means that AA doesn't charge AAdavantage members for YR but us unlucky flyers through QFF now have to pay it. It's another poke in the eye when we're already paying 30000 QF pts vs only 20000 AA miles (although they aren't directly comparable).
If I understand correctly, AA doesn't charge fuel surcharge on ANY award tickets. QF is doing it and QF gets to keep the money (that is, it is not passed on to AA).
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If I understand correctly, AA doesn't charge fuel surcharge on ANY award tickets. QF is doing it and QF gets to keep the money (that is, it is not passed on to AA).
Not 100% correct. AA charges fuel fines for awards on BA

Dave
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not 100% correct. AA charges fuel fines for awards on BA

Dave
ok thanks. But for the case just mentioned above, correct in saying QF is collecting YQ but not forwarding on to AA?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
ok thanks. But for the case just mentioned above, correct in saying QF is collecting YQ but not forwarding on to AA?
That is something for which I haven't seen as a definitive answer, but have heard this and would fit in with the logic that have been able to book QF (and BA in the past) flights via AA without the need to pay fuel surcharges since they are neither part of the fare nor part of official taxes
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This has previously been discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-50-taxes.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.