Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas international business struggling- I wonder why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
Thanks for that - I just assumed it was a "Fly Australian" policy as most people I know in government always use QF, and QF rarely seems to be cheapest (but perhaps there is a significant discount I am unaware of). Is this a blanket policy or does it vary by government department?
Some government departments have a very heavily discounted, negotiated contract with QF (some contracts also do NOT earn points). In this case they would be using QF as they would be cheaper anyway.

However many other government departments have a BFOD policy although some staff members get around this by scheduling meetings at specific times etc.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:21 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Some government departments have a very heavily discounted, negotiated contract with QF (some contracts also do NOT earn points). In this case they would be using QF as they would be cheaper anyway.

However many other government departments have a BFOD policy although some staff members get around this by scheduling meetings at specific times etc.
I would expect booking agency contracts to be specific with each "government", but these seem to have proportional discounts whereby full Y could be substantially discounted and "red-e" fares only marginally discounted (in terms of %). The ticket documentation sent to a passenger might also address why the BFOD was not accepted.

Last edited by og; Jun 19, 2012 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by moa999
That said QF is generally more expensive than CX on Oz-HKG routes, although some of QFs recent sales (not reg fares) have been very attractive (even against the MidEast airlines to Europe)
I would argue that QF fares from anywhere outside of Australia are likely to be better (cheaper / higher fare class / longer ticket validity) than the same route ex-Australia.

It seems that some (one?) of the consolidators are starting to offer exOz fares at a more reasonable price - apparently because they are not sold IN AUSTRALIA. Pity the fare class will only credit to the QFF program.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
The way things are going (and given the present CEO and Boards plans) in 10 - 15 years time there won't be a QFi. All aircraft will have a big orange star on the tail.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Fair enough, but in the Australian public perception Qantas= Australia ...
Of course, that's another of the things that's bringing Qantas down, particularly when coupled with all the things listed by Himeno in post #5.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:18 am

They are dearer than any Asian Carrier.Out of Adelaide they only offer a Paltry Three Services a week to Singapore and the rest of the time you connect via Melbourne...There's nothing worse than leaving your home state around Lunchtime to fly again over it a few hours later.Give me the Daily Singapore Airlines Options of which to save a few dollars they are now Available as Virgin Australia Codeshares any time over supporting my fellow Australian in Jobs.The Service is a lot better
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Airbumps
The way things are going (and given the present CEO and Boards plans) in 10 - 15 years time there won't be a QFi. All aircraft will have a big orange star on the tail.

But if you look at airports like MEL, even J* is struggling there. I believe they (i.e. QF and JQ combined) have about 10-11 international flights a day - most of these are to NZ. The only 'serious' route they do not have too much competition on is MEL-LAX (UA flies via SYD, VA operates 4 times a week).
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:06 pm
HW

Programs: QF LTG/WP, Various others = way too much flying
All of the preceding quotes are good discussion, I can add two more data points to the debate. Today I travelled SYD-LAX, and was surprised by two things:
1. A number of passengers were handed multi-page surveys asking detailed questions about the flight experience, including the lounge, check-in, IFE and service on board. Great to see that QF is taking on board the maxim that if you don't measure it you can't fix it.
2. Along with pre-dinner drinks we were served "Almonds and Wasabi Peas", which had very few of the former and lots of the latter. What gives? Most of the pax in the cabin turned up their noses at them!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by HW
All of the preceding quotes are good discussion, I can add two more data points to the debate. Today I travelled SYD-LAX, and was surprised by two things:
1. A number of passengers were handed multi-page surveys asking detailed questions about the flight experience, including the lounge, check-in, IFE and service on board. Great to see that QF is taking on board the maxim that if you don't measure it you can't fix it.
2. Along with pre-dinner drinks we were served "Almonds and Wasabi Peas", which had very few of the former and lots of the latter. What gives? Most of the pax in the cabin turned up their noses at them!
Another data point.
There are subtle cutbacks to the First Lounge, at least in SYD. Toiletries further reduced, Spa not open after SIN flights (before 5), self service buffet areas not stocked with food (after 4) and they have removed al survey and comments cards.
I love the wasabi peas, which I received in J on QF117, great to wash down with a beer. I often have them in the domestic Business Lounge.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by HW
UA J would have given you warm mixed nuts in a bowl (not foil packet) and the odd re-fill if needed.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:58 pm

Just saw wasabi peas on offer in BNE international lounge for the first time. I usually enjoy them, but these ones have made me spontaneously combust from the mouth down. Good excuse to have a beer at 9:00 am though
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:58 pm

deleted

Last edited by ThomasBne; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:28 am Reason: deleted
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar

I do not know any Aussie who thinks Virgin Australia is a British Airline.

Yes Richard Branson is a Englishman, but the airline is managed by , ran by , worked by, and provided for Australians.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Hmm. Phone them up, call Virgin Australia and see who answers the phone - if you're lucky enough to get an English-speaker, ask them who does the maintenance of Virgin's aircraft (Chiina? Korea?). Ask them who owns the company? (Someone in Singapore?)

Virgin Australia runs flights here but it's a foreign airline.

Edit - and what do you think, when management (of any company) turns round and says oops, sorry, this division seems to be losing money and we don't know what to do. Wouldn't you ask why, what was the budget, why isn't it achieved, why weren't the problems foreseen and addressed at the time? Who is supposed to be in charge and who's responsible for this mess? Who took the rap? QF's management has an appalling record, from the pocket-lining crowd of Margaret Jackson's time who seemed indecently keen to sell off the business for less than its (then) worth, then a succession of ignorant DYKWIA's who built up an ill-assorted rag-bag of a fleet and increased their own paypackets 10x, and finally a bad-tempered LCC-master whose idea of IR was to lock out the workforce.

Last edited by harryhv; Jun 28, 2012 at 4:21 am
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by harryhv
Hmm. Phone them up, call Virgin Australia and see who answers the phone
At least they answer the phone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.