Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Double open jaw flight sets with award miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest

I'm doing some advance planning.

What I'm looking to do next Spring is something like this.

Brisbane to Auckland
Queenstown to Sydney

The thing is, from Queenstown to Brisbane (which would in theory make for a 'legal' single open jaw flight set), one has to change planes in Sydney anyway.

So I'm wondering if this sort of flight set can be 'sold' to the folks making decisions.

This would be part of an extended vacation trip using a separate set of award miles for an open jaw of LA/Melbourne and Sydney/LA
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:44 pm

You already can

I just did in using the multicity option. for me it was 72000 points (business class) 36000 points (economy).
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
I'm doing some advance planning.

What I'm looking to do next Spring is something like this.

Brisbane to Auckland
Queenstown to Sydney

The thing is, from Queenstown to Brisbane (which would in theory make for a 'legal' single open jaw flight set), one has to change planes in Sydney anyway.

So I'm wondering if this sort of flight set can be 'sold' to the folks making decisions.

This would be part of an extended vacation trip using a separate set of award miles for an open jaw of LA/Melbourne and Sydney/LA
What miles are you using? From your profile it looks like AS. I don't know the AS rules are but if they don't technically allow a double open jaw, then your best bet is to book BNE-AKL//ZQN-SYD-BNE and simply don't check in for the SYD-BNE segment. No need to tell anyone in ZQN that this is the plan because you have to clear customs in SYD any way so you will get your bags back.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Well spotted -- yes, currently I'd be using Alaska Airlines -- but they would need to work with Qantas for this. But it does look 'legal' in that both Alaska and Qantas allow one way flights via their programs.

Then again, my other program is USAirways and it just might be by the time I'm looking to do this, USAirways will have merged with American Airlines and found themselves in One World and out of Star Alliance.

These are really out year plans -- March 2014 or perhaps 2015. So I'll not be looking to book until April/May next year at the earliest.

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
What miles are you using? From your profile it looks like AS. I don't know the AS rules are but if they don't technically allow a double open jaw, then your best bet is to book BNE-AKL//ZQN-SYD-BNE and simply don't check in for the SYD-BNE segment. No need to tell anyone in ZQN that this is the plan because you have to clear customs in SYD any way so you will get your bags back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.