Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two different experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Two different experiences

Long time reader, no time poster. I'm OW Emerald and have recently had the pleasure of travelling QF from North America through to Australia and onward to London.

The start of my journey was flawless, A380 Business. Efficient and friendly crew, had a great sleep and comfortable seat. Took a few domestic flights and were once again flawless. On my trip onward to London after a quick refresh in Singapore, I boarded the A380 for my trip to London in Business. Having since experienced a great hard product both internationally and domestically this flight proved to be very different. For what was a late night departure, 11pm or so, the crew seemed to lack efficiency and were more focussed on chatter in the galley. I had a long day and asked for some PJ's on the ground (i had to enter the galley as my call light went unattended for 10mins) to which I received a raised eye brow and a "yes, well you'll get them after take off". Which raised my eye brows! While not to sound precious, far too many things seemed too much of an effort. The purser didn't introduce himself and just handed out arrival docs. The meal service took about 45mins to start, with the crew seeming to be more interested in chatting loudly in the galley and doing very little.

After a while I twigged this crew weren't Australian and were British. There was one young male Australian crew member who made an appearance on the ground with newspapers appearing to be the rose amongst the thorns.

Oh and don't bother asking for an espresso coffee which was gladly offered to me on the SYD/SIN sector, you will be met with a sigh, and a luke warm latte which I didn't touch.

Has anyone else had this or did I just pull a short straw?

Last edited by 006PO; Jun 5, 2012 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:04 pm

I have just completed QF6 FRA-SIN in Y+ and QF10 SIN-MEL in J and must say I was absolutely impressed with the quality of cabin service, although I have noticed recently that it seems to have improved generally.

The two ladies looking after the Y+ cabin on QF6 were two of the most genuinely friendly and helpful I have come across on QF. No request was too much trouble and despite a reasonably empty mini-cabin the ladies were constantly up and down to check on us. I had absolute pleasure in letting them know I would be writing glowing feedback to QF. I believe, however, that QF5/6 is one of the only remaining European routes where Aus-based crew operate all the way through to the final port - I find the British crews tend to be a little too on just getting the job done and are not so interested in interaction with passengers on a more personal level.

Having not expected the service on QF10 to be able to match that I experienced on QF6 I was very pleasantly surprised to be greeted at the front door by lovely young CSM with a beaming smile. She had already memorised my name and seemed to know that I'd connected from Frankfurt. The service in the forward J cabin was outstanding. The crew took time to chat with every passenger before take off, and pre-drinks were topped up a number of times without asking. Though a much shorter flight the crew were super attentive, not uptight at all and just a personable bunch of guys and girls who made the journey super enjoyable. I will also be writing to QF to praise this crew also.

I just hope these experiences are really becoming the standard on QF, because it is absolutely MILES ahead of the Asian or Middle Eastern carriers, and in my opinion old fleet or not, it is the service which will guarantee future custom. Kudos to QF.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Please send this feedback to Qantas - it may not help you, but it will give them an opportunity to address such inconsistency.

It's interesting in that when Qantas introduced the 388 with the London based crew they seemed to have a better reputation servicewise than mainline crew.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
I only have a data point of 1 at this point. Next week I'll have two data points ...

On May 30th I had the pleasure of flying first from LAX to SYD (QF12 on the A380). The crew was attentive, friendly and helpful. Of course not having flown in international first before (on any airline) I don't have anything to compare to (other than FT reports ). I mentioned to the crew that this was my first first and I feel they tried to make it extra special.

I asked if it would be possible to visit the cockpit after we landed. No problem with that and the the flight crew were very generous with their time.

The crew was SYD based. I'm really not sure what more I could have asked for on that flight.

Next week I fly back to LA via MEL. I'll try to report my experiences on that flight.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:38 am

When Qantas crew are great, they are great;

Take for example my Mum's experience, where the crew on finding out my Dad was on a same timed BA flight (the disadvantages of using points sometime), came back to her with extra pyjamas and amenity kits without asking "For your husband as they don't give these out on British Airways"

And take for example my Dad flying back from HKG asking for a newspaper before takeoff, to be told "can't you wait till after take off?"

I have had such a contrast on the same flight. On a W trip to HKG, one crew member was outstanding, bringing lots of biscuits when I asked for a green tea "in case you get hungry" - the other crew member, didn't want to offer me the second refreshment option as he "has to go back to the galley to get it, and the ham sandwich is the better option" (like I give a damn, seriously)

It is a shame there is such a contrast in the crew quality. But what I will say is that MANY of the crew are very demotivated because of the direction the airline is going in at the moment. For example in J, I can tell you the crew get very annoyed about management cutbacks that make them have to offer customers "fruit OR dessert OR cheese" for example. Or having to refill water bottles from the galley. Or that many do not know if they will have a job in a year or two or three.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Just be thankful you weren't flying BA SIN-LHR. They turn being disinterested into an artform. The food is lamentable too.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:22 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
Please send this feedback to Qantas - it may not help you, but it will give them an opportunity to address such inconsistency.

It's interesting in that when Qantas introduced the 388 with the London based crew they seemed to have a better reputation servicewise than mainline crew.
My experience as well. Seems often to be the case that subsidiaries or outstations have better service than mainlines. Same on NZ where in the past I found Zeal320 crews to be better than mainline NZ.

And welcome to FT, 006PO!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
So I should avoid flying J SIN-LHR on BA? I should go for SQ?

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
My experience as well. Seems often to be the case that subsidiaries or outstations have better service than mainlines. Same on NZ where in the past I found Zeal320 crews to be better than mainline NZ.

And welcome to FT, 006PO!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by k3nnis
I have done SIN-LHR but in Y on SQ.It was my very first trip to the UK and the cabin attendants could not do enough to help out.You want a drink just call the button and lots of water and juice runs through the night amongst other things.They are the way to go to Europe.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:07 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Ba is a really good choice on that route, I would go with them personally.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:17 am
Suspended

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest avoiding them, but there are better carriers with a superior product on this route. The BA hard product does have the advantage of flat beds in J but the service and food are, at best, unremarkable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.