Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to swap my biz seat with my mother's economy seats on plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF SG, Kris Flyer Silver

I am travelling to HKG for work and on my return, I will be going HKG-SYD with my mother and my children. How easy would it be if I give up my biz class seat to my mum so that I can sit with my children (under 5 yrs)? My mother and children are in economy.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have heard of such being done, but have never experienced it myself.

You may need to board really early and talk to the CSM about doing this as it may be up to their discretion.

Others may have actual experience.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:18 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Did this a few years ago. Was on a DONE4 for work, last leg was LHR-SIN-BNE. Mrs willyroo and the kids (already in the UK) flew this leg in whY.

Upon boarding, asked the CSM if he would be OK with us (Mrs and me) swapping seats from time to time, and the reply was "no problem, appreciate if you can be discreet about it".

Don't count on it, however it never hurts to ask nicely, and in your case of a full flight swap, I can't see why not.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
I did this SYD-MNL with no problems. The CSM was very helpful, she asked us not to swap until after take-off. As there was a empty J seat next to 'mine' the CSM actually let me join my companion in J just prior to landing in MNL, e.g. when it was time to prepare for landing so could get off the plane together.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
there is no problem giving the seat to your mother. do this at boarding, just mention to the crew on boarding you would like to do this (maybe not the door greeter but the next one along).

personally I don't like the idea of swapping seats mid flight, although some people do that (usually you are allowed one seat swap, after the meal service, but I understand some people do it mid way through the flight so both can get equal sleep). to me it just seems a bit kath-and-kim.

as for giving seats away... I have done this including on say a full flight syd-MEL when I have been in biz and a friend has been in economy. I just gave my boarding pass to the guy sitting next to my friend (middle seat... they were gone like wild fire!! )
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:38 pm

I've swapped my whY seat for J on a SYD-ZQN flight on 2011.

Originally seated in 4F when a nice guy sat down in 4D. We started chatting and he tells me that he is on a DONE4 with his wife, who was sitting in J. I asked him why he wasn't also sitting up in J next to her and he mentioned that there was a problem with his booking and when they were ticketed the SYD-ZQN sector there was only one J seat available.

Needless to say, his better half took the J seat.

So after chatting with him I also find out that she is not a good flyer, and gets quite anxious when her husband is not right next to her.

So he offers me to swap seats with his wife, which obviously I accept.

4E was also free so they had a free seat for some extra room and I got on with the spoils of J.

There were no objections from the crew, even though the guy in 4D didn't actually ask the CSM if it was ok that his wife swapped seats with me, he only asked his wife if she wanted to swap. I did mention the whole episode to the CSM after I moved, she had no concerns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.