Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Finding good status credit runs on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finding good status credit runs on AA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
But flying say SEA-SFO via LAX in F gets you 150 SCs and the securiity of not being on a YUP fare.
...and being in F on AS metal means a better flight experience than other airlines. At least you'll get something to eat (and the AS Board Room is a nice place to kill some time).
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by og
...and being in F on AS metal means a better flight experience than other airlines. At least you'll get something to eat (and the AS Board Room is a nice place to kill some time).
+1.

The most enjoyable flights in my last run were without a doubt the SFO-SEA-SFO F sectors on AS.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
One problem is that AA doesn't upgrade to F on codeshares on instant upgrade fares, so you will be sitting in Y on the AS legs and getting Y credit. Too bad you aren't in the other Vancouver (WA).
West coast AA codeshares on AS metal in First Class generally book into F.

These are full first class fares being sold as "First Flexible" (not sold as "instant Upgrade").

Travel in F, booked on an AA flight number on AS metal earns First Class points & SC's with QFF. (Even though the BP indicates the AS flight number only.)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: QF Plat, SQ Silver, DJ Plat
Thanks for the ongoing advice. Very helpful.

So I have been playing around with the AA.com website. Looking at doing a SEA-SFO-LAX-LAS and return trip. All direct flights from Seattle to SFO appear to be in AS metal (unless I go to LAX via DFW, which is not what I really want to do). As mentioned it appears that the booking class for the SEA-LAX/SFO leg is F and not Y (as some have suggested), even when I choose the "Business or higher with Restrictions" box. This means First right. When I look at the fare class it says it is a "FA2AA" fare type. I couldn't quite make out what that meant. The SFO-LAX and LAX-LAS ones appear as Class P and appear to be Y-Up fares.

If I have read it right: SEA-SFO = 90 SC, SFO-LAX = 60, LAX-LAS = 60. Therefore a round trip is 420 SC. Is that right?

A few things concern me before I book, to anyone who can clarify this, it is greatly appreciated.
1. This was on the AA website regarding the AS metal flights. "Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change." Does that mean I don't have a confirmed ticket?
2. This is on the Qantas website regarding Alaskan Air SC earning- "Excluded: Points are not earned on Codeshare Flights operated by an airline other than Qantas." This confuses me, given others have said that you get SC flying AS metal with an AA flight number. Would I be better off booking AS flights through their website or through AA website.

Sorry for all the questions. As mentioned, new to all this. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) If booked on AA flight numbers they are not "on request" - they get confirmed on booking.

2) You are correct about what Qantas.com indicates; however anecdotal evidence (including my own experince) shows that F class SC/points are indeed earned on AA flight number. This may change at any time.

FWIW, P class is discounted First Class on AA, so is A class.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
1) If booked on AA flight numbers they are not "on request" - they get confirmed on booking.

2) You are correct about what Qantas.com indicates; however anecdotal evidence (including my own experince) shows that F class SC/points are indeed earned on AA flight number. This may change at any time.

FWIW, P class is discounted First Class on AA, so is A class.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess my concern is that the main SC earning part of the run is in AS metal, whether it's SEA-SFO or YVR-SFO. I don't want to do this, only to find out later I don't any credit for it. The SFO-LAX-LAS is just the kicker to get me over the top.

If I do book I hope that the anecdotal evidence holds up.

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Note the comments earlier in the thread that the AS F bookings are sold as discounted F fares, and not as YUP or instant upgrade AA Y fare ... so be sure you are buying what you expect. AA does sell some instant upgrade fares that book into F on AA and Y on AS, and those particular fares don't earn the large SCs on QFF on the AS sectors, so be sure you understand what fare basis you are booking. It varies by route, date and maybe even by fare availability, and unfortunately aa.com is a bit cumbersome for checking the fare basis, but if you want to be sure of getting the SCs, then better do this check before you buy!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Note the comments earlier in the thread that the AS F bookings are sold as discounted F fares, and not as YUP or instant upgrade AA Y fare ... so be sure you are buying what you expect. AA does sell some instant upgrade fares that book into F on AA and Y on AS, and those particular fares don't earn the large SCs on QFF on the AS sectors, so be sure you understand what fare basis you are booking. It varies by route, date and maybe even by fare availability, and unfortunately aa.com is a bit cumbersome for checking the fare basis, but if you want to be sure of getting the SCs, then better do this check before you buy!
Hi Number_6,

Thanks for that. The Fare Basis for the YVR-SFO or SEA-SFO is FA2AA. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that meant. Do you have any knowledge?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bosox76
Hi Number_6,

Thanks for that. The Fare Basis for the YVR-SFO or SEA-SFO is FA2AA. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that meant. Do you have any knowledge?
For the point of SC earning the actual fare code is not that important in these cases.

Before finalising your booking you will be able to see the booking fare bucket code against each individual segment.

If a segment has an AA flight number and its fare bucket code is shown as F, A or P, then it is first class earning (60, 90, 120, 150 ... SC's)

Last edited by serfty; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:03 pm

Thanks for clearing that up serfty. I might give it a go soon and hope for the best.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:23 pm

Well a bit of an update - I did a quick run over the weekend down to LAS via LAX. Happy to say that I didn't miss any connections. As mentioned by some already, the AS flights are much more comfortable than the AA ones, although I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the service on AA.

One last question. How long does it usually take for the status credits to show in the QFF system? I tried doing a bit of a search through the forums/online but had trouble finding an answer. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bosox76
One last question. How long does it usually take for the status credits to show in the QFF system? I tried doing a bit of a search through the forums/online but had trouble finding an answer. Thanks.
2-4 days.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:08 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Always under 24 hours for me (often faster posting to QFF than Aadvantage, from AS).
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:24 am

Once again thanks for the replies and advice. Just checked my qantas account and have now made Platinum for the first time. Kinda excited. Can't wait to get my card!!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:10 am
Suspended

Bumping this thread as I have a related question. Am I correct in assuming that QF codeshares with AA may only be booked when connecting from / to a QF flight? More broadly, is that also the case for QF intra-Asia codeshares with JL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.