Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar Long Haul New Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold RIP); Airpoints Gold Elite; Flying Blue Gold; Emirates, Gold; Qantas, Platinum
I did the SIN trip on 3K in May of this year - connecting from WLG. As my travel office found this bargain fare (about £400 return - they are UK-based) I was obliged to try and reduce the pain through the upgrade myself.

It is annoying that 3K and JQ don't interline bags from domestic to international at AKL (irrespective of class). You have to haul bags through the car park to International on your own - just so you know you are getting a bargain.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:06 am

JQ should do what Air Asia X is doing- installing flat beds but making it 100% economy service. Currently their service is not business class standard, but neither is their hard product, which makes it hard to justify the price premium.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
And things have just got worse - flew JQ Business Class the other day from Oz to SIN and was advised that since "a few weeks ago" they have dropped the second meal service on the flight (the snack service at the end of the flight), have dropped the sweets extras they used to hand around (no more Ferrero Rocher or biscuits etc), and have also decided to cut back on what they do have to the point that it runs out (e.g. not enough cake on the desert trolley for all in the cabin).

The CSM (or what ever they call it on JQ) said that she was "embarrased" at the changes, and that it meant constantly apologising to customers which she was not enjoying.

A shame as I had been surprised/reasonably impressed with the service and the in-flight offerings (accepting as I did before I boarded that the seat would be more Y+ that J) when I had flown in the opposite direction a couple of months back, but it seems that as JQ changed the name to Business Class from StarClass they have taken away everything on board that in any way resembled a business class offering

Won't be choosing them again unless this is changed back (would rather fly Y+ on most other carriers)... so I will probably never be flying them again!
Are you serious? I cannot imagine a 11-hour flight on SIN-AKL and end up with just 1 dinner served and after so many hours not serving snacks and breakfast
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Are you serious? I cannot imagine a 11-hour flight on SIN-AKL and end up with just 1 dinner served and after so many hours not serving snacks and breakfast
I am 100% serious.

She did however say that while this applied to Australia-Asia flights that from Auckland there would "probably" still be a 2nd meal (snack) service (due to the extra couple of hours in the flight duration) - however the other measures/rationing (i.e. removal of snacks/biscuits/chocs mid-flight and minimum catering that will mean high likelihood of meal options/food items running out) will apply to those flights too (or so she said).

So don't expect to be offered anything of substance, or to able to request anything of substance, between the two meal services (and the 2nd service will only be a snack/light meal too).

'Business Class' my arse.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold RIP); Airpoints Gold Elite; Flying Blue Gold; Emirates, Gold; Qantas, Platinum
I notice that the JQ/3K service to SIN from AKL is sliding down to 4/week:

From 11SEP11 to 27NOV11, JetStar Asia is temporary reducing Singapore – Auckland service from 6 to 4 weekly.

Departure from Singapore on Thursdays and Sundays is cancelled. From Auckland, flights cancelled on Mondays and Fridays.

3K401 SIN1950 – 1055+1AKL 332 x247
3K402 AKL1225 – 1800SIN 332 x135
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: QF WP
There were 2 full meals served on the SIN-AKL flights, plus snacks on demand in "business", including cup noodles.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:21 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The only reason JQ was tolerable was if it was a daytime flight, less than 9 hours, with First Class Lounge access, the SC and points. Charging extra for the SC and points, essentially making the pax pay for them, will make me think twice about choosing JQ.

Then again, I guess for those of is who have partners who are NB, then you could book them into 'Business Promo' and yourself into 'Business Max.'
I don't think twice, I have just stopped using JQ. By not earning SCs and miles they have made the product a lot worse for me. So I have voted with my wallet.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I don't think twice, I have just stopped using JQ. By not earning SCs and miles they have made the product a lot worse for me. So I have voted with my wallet.
+1. I no longer find JQi's "business class" an attractive option.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
This is what I still don't quite understand. Do you travel in economy instead on QF - or another full service carrier - and get your points/SCs? Or do you pay double to fly QF Y+ (or 4x to fly real J) and get points/SCs.

Personally I don't see value in "economy plus" products on 7-8 hour sectors (be it QF premium economy, or Jetstar Business Class), just prefer to pay $50-$80 extra (or ideally, with some carriers, nothing) to get an exit row seat. But I have noticed this open hostility to JQ not offering points on their $1300 return premium economy fares, yet people raving about QF's $2500 premium economy fares (on MEL-SIN route). What makes the QF premium economy product so much better than the JQ business product?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lokijuh
This is what I still don't quite understand. Do you travel in economy instead on QF - or another full service carrier - and get your points/SCs? Or do you pay double to fly QF Y+ (or 4x to fly real J) and get points/SCs.

Personally I don't see value in "economy plus" products on 7-8 hour sectors (be it QF premium economy, or Jetstar Business Class), just prefer to pay $50-$80 extra (or ideally, with some carriers, nothing) to get an exit row seat. But I have noticed this open hostility to JQ not offering points on their $1300 return premium economy fares, yet people raving about QF's $2500 premium economy fares (on MEL-SIN route). What makes the QF premium economy product so much better than the JQ business product?
I am with you on those points. I also do no get the attraction of most premium economy offers and the QF pricing is not helping. And QF not offering SCs or points on a $1300 business fare is one thing but they also don't offer anything on the $3000 return fare SYD-HNL.

In the past I would have considered JQ to HNL or DPS for example and would have paid for J. So now I will travel in either Y or J on other carriers so I either get a better product, or EQMs or both.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:26 pm

Excerpt from a note I sent Jetstar about my recent Starter Plus AKL-SIN-AKL experience. Some may/may not be relevant to 'Business Class', and doesn't take into account the hoards of cackly, middle-aged women embarking on group holidays roaming around the plane looking for chardonnay dregs

The highlight of the flight was the screening of Bob's Burgers on the main screen.

1. I booked and paid online on 26 July, but only received an emailed itinerary on 18 August after two phone calls and Customer Care Feedback Form submittals.

2. Customer Care Feedback receipt was not acknowledged within 24 hours as promised.

3. I arrived to check in at Auckland just over 2 hours in advance of the flight but had to wait 1.5 hours in the queue.

4. Priority boarding for Starter Plus was not offered on either 3K401 or 3K402 even though it was stated as a selling point and ticked on the table on http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/plannin...res/fare-types

5. Tray tables were dirty with food scraps on both flights.

6. On 3K 401, the armrest buttons for crew call and reading light were not working; one toilet was out of service, and another that was in service had a blocked hand basin. The drinking water taps were both not working or empty.

7. In the Singapore Qantas lounge, the receptionist said the boarding call would not be announced over the lounge PA system.

8. Even though the fare was supposed to earn QFF points and status credits, and my QFF number was provided at time of booking, zero points and status were credited until I sent copies of boarding passes to Qantas.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's the addtional pricing for JQi business MAX. e.g. AKL-SIN it NZD200 more, but on a sale fare it can be more than double that.

For that you get Business Class SCs, QFF points, "Flexibility" and lounge access. For those with status already lounge access is a given.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by ps107
...doesn't take into account the hoards of cackly, middle-aged women embarking on group holidays roaming around the plane looking for chardonnay dregs
^^^
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
There were 2 full meals served on the SIN-AKL flights, plus snacks on demand in "business", including cup noodles.
Is that your recent experience?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:12 am

Two meals runs in economy on Monday just gone. Just a main and drink though - no bread roll, cheescake, crackers etc. Dinner on the way up was served so late in the flight that I asked a hostee if there were one or two meals.

Left plenty of room for durian for dessert once on the ground!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.