Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD-SIN - QF vs SQ - J Class Comparison

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that I survived my first J class flight with SQ. Thus I have broken the shackles of Qantas and OW for travel having made the plunge earlier with shifting my US flying. For others thinking of doing the same I thought I would post my experience.

First at the start of the year I took the UA Status Match Challenge and was comped to Premier Executive/ Star Gold. While I would have preferred 1K status the reality is I would have never re qualified at that level so it seemed fair to me.

Anyway, back to SQ. Here is what I prefer about QF
1. First class check in counter with seats vs having to line up in J class with SQ and then find somewhere to fill in departure card (along with long walk)
2. QF F lounge much nicer than overcrowded tired SQ J lounge (I used my Star Gold and went to NZ lounge instead)
3. Coffee cups are bigger on QF
4. QF has G2G AVOD which is easier to use and has more content (A380 vs 777A refitted).
5. QF has USB port (A380 vs 777A refitted).
6. QF provide amenities kits and nicer blankets (cotton backed vs SQ scratchy)
7. QF have personal air vents

Here is what I prefer about SQ
1. The seat is amazingly big and comfortable, even if it does not go all the way flat. It has excellent cushioning and support and is wide. Makes the QF seat feel like concrete.
2. AVOD screen is massive
3. Second meal is substantial
4. Crew are more attentive but this does create a distraction factor, there is always something going on in the cabin, so don't sit near the curtain/ galley.
5. SQ was $4k cheaper
6. Food was more to my taste than QF, next time I will also book the cook
7. While the cup may be small business has an expresso machine, complete with frothed milk and three different blends of coffee to choose from
8. The SQ seat has a laptop compartment in the seat, ideal for stowage during meal service.
9. The 777 is configures 2x2x2 and is a really nice aircraft to fly in, I prefer it over the 747 or A380
10. SQ noise cancelling headphones seem to be of a higher quality than QF and work far better.

Overall I would say that either airline is fine, what it has shown me is that I am not missing anything fundamental but not flying QF. I would happily fly SQ again, especially for Europe trips rather than having to connect through LHR. I could sleep in the regional J seat no problems, it is just super comfortable, especially compared to the Skybed mkI.

The fact that flying SQ meant that I was cleared into the CIP/ VIP terminal in SIN within 5 minutes of deplaning while I awaited my driver has not influenced my opinion at all (as this is not included in the SQ service). Perhaps QF need to include this as part of Platinum 1?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nonce
3. Second meal is substantial
5. SQ was $4k cheaper
7. While the cup may be small business has an expresso machine, complete with frothed milk and three different blends of coffee to choose from
Compelling reasons for me to sample SQ.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I'd find it difficult to justify the extra $4k no matter what status I may have... It's only an 8 hour flight...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
What was the cost for the SQ ticket and also the QF ticket?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
4. QF has G2G AVOD which is easier to use and has more content (A380 vs 777A refitted).
5. QF has USB port (A380 vs 777A refitted).
I'm surprised about G2G AVOD not working on SQ, I recall it being there on all my flights. They do interrupt the heck out of it with all the safety announcements and commentary during boarding and departure, but it's there. They don't deliver the headphones until after takeoff (in Y at least, I can't remember for J), but there's nothing stopping you using your own. I think it does switch off on landing like the NZ IFE does, but I'm usually asleep by then anyway.

The SQ 380s and 77Ws do have USB ports, though.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Thanks for the interesting comparison nonce.

I agree with most of your observations. We fly SQ frequently on the MEL-SIN route (although on non-rev tix as they are a client ~ so no FF points ).

I think the other small plus for SQ at the moment is that their T3 J lounge at SIN is better (much more spacious currently) than the crowded old QF/BA First lounge in T1 (although catering in the SQ lounge is at times curiously disappointing).

I also much prefer SQs A380 product over the B777 (more spacious and quieter ~ some of the old 777s get up quite a rattle, even with the refurbished cabin).

The one thing from your report that astonishes me though is:
5. SQ was $4k cheaper
Over what routing was this?

I have noticed that SQ is often a bit cheaper than QF ex-Oz, but a return SYD-SIN in J shouldn't cost a lot more than $4 to 5k in total, so I assume it was a longer itinerary?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I am flying a circle pacific and due to routing and Qantas fuel fines that is the reason for the difference. Of course I needed to go to a non OW hub from Tokyo so that would have put me over the milage for OW and pushed me up to the next mileage limit. It would have also added 12 hrs of travel on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.