Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Flounge access for guest travelling on FJ ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum

I am booking on FJ as its slightly cheaper syd-nan A$377 one way on 30/9/2011 as opposed to QF A$400 and also don't have to pay the crazy
A$30 cc fee - 8% of the ticket price!!!!!

the question is, my partner (WP) is on the QF ticket, can I enter the First lounge as a guest We are both on the same flight.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are on a different airline code, it could be argued that you are not travelling with the member and so refused or could be accepted that you are on the same actual flight and so travelling with the member

The platinum member can definitely enter and I would have expected that they would let the other person in, but could be interpreted that the 2 are not travelling together

I would suggest booking the QF number and avoiding the risk entirely; just pay using bpay and avoid the credit card surcharge

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
yes but it my invalidate my credit card citibank platinum insurance travel insurance if i don't pay all on the cc esp the actual departure point

So fare I have paid FJ$5,263 (A$2,923) for D class nan-lax-jfk-lax-nan-syd on QF paper but FJ/AA metal.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are on a different airline code, it could be argued that you are not travelling with the member and so refused or could be accepted that you are on the same actual flight and so travelling with the member

The platinum member can definitely enter and I would have expected that they would let the other person in, but could be interpreted that the 2 are not travelling together

I would suggest booking the QF number and avoiding the risk entirely; just pay using bpay and avoid the credit card surcharge
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:51 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Double Post

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Feb 21, 2011 at 4:57 am
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by guybaxy
I the question is, my partner (WP) is on the QF ticket, can I enter the First lounge as a guest We are both on the same flight.
In my experience (Nov 2010) you will have access with no problem. In addition, I would think about a better credit card.

And the entire issue could be dealt with by booking Any Seat Awards which all use the QF flight number.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Air pacific flights on FJ flight numbers no longer qualify anyone (not even Platinum members) access to QF Lounges. QF will argue that you are not on a oneworld or partner airline flight number, which trumps your 'but we're on the same flight' argument.

For $60 I would have taken the QF#. FLounge access is worth at least that!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by d00t
Air pacific flights on FJ flight numbers no longer qualify anyone (not even Platinum members) access to QF Lounges. QF will argue that you are not on a oneworld or partner airline flight number, which trumps your 'but we're on the same flight' argument.

The rules say that the guest has to be travelling with the member. Being on the same aeroplane in the same cabin would seem to logically meet that criteria even though they are on different flight numbers

If they cannot get access to the first class lounge, then they would both have access to the business lounge anyway by virtue of class of travel and I wouldn't class the 1st class lounge as being worth an additional $60
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Yeah, on my trips to Fiji I always book the QF code on the way over for this reason. Always book FJ back as it's much cheaper (particularly J).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by d00t

FJ flight numbers still allow CLs access...

But as I said, in November we had no problem accessing the lounge with a mix of QF and FJ flight numbers.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
FJ flight numbers still allow CLs access...
There have been some creditable posts in recent times that booking the FJ flight number has not allowed WP's access to the Qantas F/L whereas booking the QF flight number does.

Other creditable anecdotes indicate that when booking the QF flight number the BP shows the FJ flight number. However, it seems lounge agents are aware of the booked flight number and its relation to eligibility.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 25, 2011 at 5:40 am
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by serfty
There have been some creditable posts in recent times that booking the FJ flight number has not allowed WP's access to the Qantas F/L whereas booking the QF flight number does.

Other creditable anecdotes indicate that when booking the QF flight number the BP shows the FJ flight number. However, it seems lounge agents are aware of the booked flight number and its relation to eligibility.
I think if you are a CL as DownUnderFlyer points out you have "Anytime Access" to the Flounge
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by guybaxy
So fare I have paid FJ$5,263 (A$2,923) for D class nan-lax-jfk-lax-nan-syd on QF paper but FJ/AA metal.
That's an incredibly cheap fare.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I think if you are a CL as DownUnderFlyer points out you have "Anytime Access" to the Flounge
I should read more ...

I was in the MEL First Class lounge last year when a CL and his partner were off to DXB on EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.