Wiki Posts
Search

A330-200 Domestic J Class opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
But wait - 2 x 3 x 2 on the 332 is no different to what EK offers on their 332 (except for 60" pitch on EK). How on earth can QF call this Business Class?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by og
How on earth can QF call this Business Class?
Sound familiar?

STAAARCLASS - Jetstar's Business Class
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by yohy?!
Sound familiar?

STAAARCLASS - Jetstar's Business Class
Not even close; the useful pitch in these Recaro seats is much less than that of the Millenium seats.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:23 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by doctorjosh
I wouldn't pay those exorbitant business class fares for those seats. Only the Skybeds Mk1 are deserving of such outrageously high prices!!
On international routes frequented by Skybeds, the price premium for flexible business class over flexible economy class fares is in the order of three times (looking at a randomly selected example of SYD-HKG-SYD and comparing YLFFA1 at $2217 with C3A for $8639). The price premium for the new domestic J on say SYD-PER-SYD is about 1.5 (comparing Y with J fare). The difference between say K and D/I on domestic routes is even less. So I see no reason to expect a seat product difference of the level usually delivered on medium/long international sectors.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by NM
On international routes frequented by Skybeds, the price premium for flexible business class over flexible economy class fares is in the order of three times (looking at a randomly selected example of SYD-HKG-SYD and comparing YLFFA1 at $2217 with C3A for $8639). The price premium for the new domestic J on say SYD-PER-SYD is about 1.5 (comparing Y with J fare). The difference between say K and D/I on domestic routes is even less. So I see no reason to expect a seat product difference of the level usually delivered on medium/long international sectors.
Ok then but that price difference between domestic Y and J on the SYD-PER route being less is due to the fact that QF is getting rid of the Skybeds in J and replacing them with the Millenium seats. With regard to international J, QF international premium product is just outrageously priced compared to everyone else! I will never choose them unless I have absolutely no choice.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ok then but that price difference between domestic Y and J on the SYD-PER route being less is due to the fact that QF is getting rid of the Skybeds in J and replacing them with the Millenium seats. With regard to international J, QF international premium product is just outrageously priced compared to everyone else! I will never choose them unless I have absolutely no choice.
The price difference between Y and J is not affected by which type of aeroplane is used; whether it is a 737 or a 747, the price is the same regardless of whether the seating varies.

Domestic business class is a lot less than their international business class. Whether thinking that QF's prices are high doesn't really matter when comparing QF with QF

It is a choice which cabin to purchase and which flight to travel on;

Qantas isn't getting rid of skybeds to Perth , skybeds have never been ( to the best of my knowledge) an advertised feature for domestic travel, just that some flights have had this as a bonus; same as that with some 767 flights, can end up with dreamtime seats
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ShyBeds AFAIR have only been an advertised feature for international flights. If they appeared on domestic flights, it is just good luck. Not getting them can hardly be a reason for complaint. However, not getting them on an international flight (and getting the domestic config seats ) would be a cause for loud complaint.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by og
ShyBeds AFAIR have only been an advertised feature for international flights. If they appeared on domestic flights, it is just good luck. Not getting them can hardly be a reason for complaint. However, not getting them on an international flight (and getting the domestic config seats ) would be a cause for loud complaint.
Oh, absolutely. Anyway, I don't find the SkyBeds particularly comfortable. Couldn't really sleep on them.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The price difference between Y and J is not affected by which type of aeroplane is used; whether it is a 737 or a 747, the price is the same regardless of whether the seating varies.

Domestic business class is a lot less than their international business class. Whether thinking that QF's prices are high doesn't really matter when comparing QF with QF

It is a choice which cabin to purchase and which flight to travel on;

Qantas isn't getting rid of skybeds to Perth , skybeds have never been ( to the best of my knowledge) an advertised feature for domestic travel, just that some flights have had this as a bonus; same as that with some 767 flights, can end up with dreamtime seats
Thanks for clearing that up. Some of their business class prices on some routes are heinous though. SYD-DRW return is an example. A business class ticket (and on a 737-800 no less) on that sector is about $3600! That's almost the same price as a business class ticket to a South-East Asian destination on a full service carrier! There needs to be more competition on premium seats in the domestic market!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Interestingly I saw an Advertisement for Qantas "New Domestic Business" class this week which showed an actor sitting on a(n upright) Skybed. (Could not tell if Mk i or Mk ii)

It was not obvious and one would need to know the difference between Skybeds and Millennium/Recaro/Dreamtime seats.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:23 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. Some of their business class prices on some routes are heinous though. SYD-DRW return is an example. A business class ticket (and on a 737-800 no less) on that sector is about $3600! That's almost the same price as a business class ticket to a South-East Asian destination on a full service carrier! There needs to be more competition on premium seats in the domestic market!
Once again you are trying to compare apples with oranges though. What other airlines charge is irrelevent. If I was going to Asia , there is no way I would travel Qantas since I think that it is overpriced and its product inferior. For $3200 ish I can travel EK to Asia in business class , so why would I fly QF?

Comparing like with like, the lowest published QF business fare (C class) is shown as $6143 plus fines and taxes for SYD-SIN r/t with J class being $7437

On the SYD-DRW run, the J class r/t business fare is $2932 plus taxes. $2932 is less than half of the price of the discounted business fare to Singapore and less than 40% of the equivalent fare basis to Singapore on QF

That QF is expensive compared to other carriers is neither here nor there imo
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by NM
The price premium for the new domestic J on say SYD-PER-SYD is about 1.5 (comparing Y with J fare).
Ah but looking at the fares people actually pay, the domestic J fare SYD-PER would buy you about 7 (seven) economy seats on the same aircraft.

How can QF can get away with these outrageous fares for what looks much like an economy middle seat? Two reasons: the domestic monopoly on J class, and the fact that you and I are paying these fares - not for ourselves, but for our govt representatives.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harryhv
...monopoly on J class, and the fact that you and I are paying these fares - not for ourselves, but for our govt representatives.
Are you seriously suggesting that our Federal Ministers fly Y? Especially on trans con flights? Get real. These guys deserve protection from bogans and idiots - and need the same work /rest space as others who choose to fly in J for the reasons of work, rest, space etc.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:45 am

Ah but looking at the fares people actually pay, the domestic J fare SYD-PER would buy you about 7 (seven) economy seats on the same aircraft.

How can QF can get away with these outrageous fares for what looks much like an economy middle seat? Two reasons: the domestic monopoly on J class, and the fact that you and I are paying these fares - not for ourselves, but for our govt representatives.
Some of us do travel business class on longer flights. The premium above a refundable fare is not that bad on a domestic flight to business class with a base of $964 for economy against $1234 for I class business

Given that a refundable fare is wanted anyway in case the plans do fall in a heap, going business class is quite feasible
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:53 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Not the fares I have paid for economy travel to Perth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.