Wiki Posts
Search

Business lounge vs Qantas Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Business lounge vs Qantas Club

What's the difference (if any) between the Domestic Business Lounge and the Qantas Club lounges (in SYD and MEL)? The Qantas website makes a clear distinction between the 2. I've always thought they were the same. It sounds like the Business Lounge is meant for higher tier passengers and business class passengers, so those who are flying Economy with Qantas Club membership are ineligible. Am I right?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by doctorjosh
What's the difference (if any) between the Domestic Business Lounge and the Qantas Club lounges (in SYD and MEL)? The Qantas website makes a clear distinction between the 2. I've always thought they were the same. It sounds like the Business Lounge is meant for higher tier passengers and business class passengers, so those who are flying Economy with Qantas Club membership are ineligible. Am I right?
There has recently been a relaunch of the Business Lounge offerings, but historically been slightly better food and toileteries in the showers than the regular Qantas Club.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
There has recently been a relaunch of the Business Lounge offerings, but historically been slightly better food and toileteries in the showers than the regular Qantas Club.
So these are actually 2 separate lounges then? I've never flown domestic business class but will be doing so in a few month's time and I read that there was a Business Lounge in SYD. Are they next to each other (with a shared reception) and you get directed to the appropriate lounge by the agent?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:40 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Are they next to each other (with a shared reception) and you get directed to the appropriate lounge by the agent?
Yes. Basically, they put in a wall across one third of the old Qantas Clubs and called the smaller sections the Business Lounge. Same kitchens but better food (sometimes) on offer.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Yes. Basically, they put in a wall across one third of the old Qantas Clubs and called the smaller sections the Business Lounge. Same kitchens but better food (sometimes) on offer.
Thanks for that. I'll make sure I get directed into the Business Lounge rather than the qantas Club then, if there's a chance that there's better food.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:09 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The biggest difference you will notice once crossing the threshold is that the Business Lounge is much, much quieter. The QPs are often overcrowded, and on Friday afternoons can literally have nowhere to sit.

The Business Lounges have nicer decor as they have just been refurbished, feature plated food offerings, premium alcohol and better shower products as mentioned above.

You'll certainly notice the difference when you fly somewhere like HBA, ADE or PER where there isn't a J lounge.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
And of course the CBR lounge is dedicated and totally brand new, not cobbled together out of existing space, and it's quite nice.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by og
I thought that the T3, QP and J Lounge had separate kitchens?

In the SYD J Lounge, you can see them prepare the food when the doors swing open, same as in the QP, which made me believe that they have separate kitchens. I could be wrong though.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
I thought that the T3, QP and J Lounge had separate kitchens?

In the SYD J Lounge, you can see them prepare the food when the doors swing open, same as in the QP, which made me believe that they have separate kitchens. I could be wrong though.
Actually, I think you are right on that one. The common wall (IIRC) at SYD T3 J has the mirrors on it.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by og
Actually, I think you are right on that one. The common wall (IIRC) at SYD T3 J has the mirrors on it.
Doesnt the CL sit somewhere between them?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Thanks for that. I'll make sure I get directed into the Business Lounge rather than the qantas Club then, if there's a chance that there's better food.
The MEL J lounge entrance is actually inside the QP. You need to traverse the QP to get to it - I think this situation is unique to MEL.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by grozzy
Doesnt the CL sit somewhere between them?
Not really - there's escalators up to the QP and escalators up to the JL. The QP and JL areas are separated by a partition.

The CL is up there too but extends over the landside check-in areas while the QP/JL are over airside shops.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Wife and I will be travelling on BA to BKK both in J april does that get us into the Q business class lounge?.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Limewood
Wife and I will be travelling on BA to BKK both in J april does that get us into the Q business class lounge?.
Yes. If you (or partner) are OW Emerald, you can indulge in the QF F Lounge at SYD T1
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Limewood
Being in Business class you can access the SYD J lounge, with or without status.

As per the previous post, First class lounge access may be available with Platinum/Emerald status.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 12, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.