Search

BA Silver Baggage Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold, Emirates Gold
BA Silver Baggage Allowance

Hi

I have searched for this, but I seems to get the conclusion that it is luck of the draw from my readings.

Does anyone, definitely know : If travelling in Y on QF do you get the BA Silver Exec Club 2 checked bag allowance ...or not ?

Regards
J
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
No since BA is so mean to other OW elites why QF has to be nice to BA members.....

You will be entitled to the luggage allowence on your ticket specified.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
As IC6A has said.

Also make sure your bag does not go over 23kg if you do not want to pay excess baggage, and if it is over 23kg, make sure you know QF's excess baggage charges. It can be quite eye-watering.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by zoneduk
Hi

I have searched for this, but I seems to get the conclusion that it is luck of the draw from my readings.

Does anyone, definitely know : If travelling in Y on QF do you get the BA Silver Exec Club 2 checked bag allowance ...or not ?

Regards
J
No.

The simple answer is that individual oneworld airline benefits in respect of luggage do not cross to other airlines in the alliance (unlike star alliance top tiers where the extra 15/20kg is honoured alliance wide).

That being said, some carriers such as Cathay are extremely generous and will allow other alliance top tiers to take extra weight for free.

As a QF plat/gold I have been waived an extra 5-7 kilos when travelling on BA, but it is not technically a permitted benefit.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As posted, when checking in for a QAntas Flight you have the standard baggage allowance as per your ticket:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en

Note this can vary depending upon the route.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
No.

The simple answer is that individual oneworld airline benefits in respect of luggage do not cross to other airlines in the alliance (unlike star alliance top tiers where the extra 15/20kg is honoured alliance wide).

That being said, some carriers such as Cathay are extremely generous and will allow other alliance top tiers to take extra weight for free.

As a QF plat/gold I have been waived an extra 5-7 kilos when travelling on BA, but it is not technically a permitted benefit.
Is it still the case? I just had a dispute over this in MEL with airport staff. I am BA Silver and thought this actually works alliance wise. If not, why FTers state here that BA Silver is equivalent to QF Gold if it cannot use QF Gold benefits? It just doesn't make sense to keep two statuses in different airlines within the same alliance just for baggage benefits...

Are you telling me that I paid AU$2000 for SIN-SYD-AKL-MEL-SIN in PE to only have 1x 23kg allowance? Same route was just AU$760 through BNE (instead of SYD) with EK in Y and 32kg allowance... I was travelling with my wife and we had just more than 5kg total excess, that is 2.5kg for each bag which they were not happy with.

Well, if this is the case, then I will think twice before flying with QF again. With BA there is nothing to worry about. First of all they are very generous in terms of the allowance for their FTers, secondly they won't charge you arm and leg for each kilo since they have fixed fees for additional bags / excess.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stiwi
Is it still the case? I just had a dispute over this in MEL with airport staff. I am BA Silver and thought this actually works alliance wise. If not, why FTers state here that BA Silver is equivalent to QF Gold if it cannot use QF Gold benefits? It just doesn't make sense to keep two statuses in different airlines within the same alliance just for baggage benefits...
Yes, it is still the case; no, there has been no change. Extra baggage is not a OW alliance benefit. And nobody here says that BA Silver is identical to QF Gold in every respect.

One of the reasons I continued to collect QF SCs before transferring all my earning to BAEC was to get lifetime QF Silver and all the benefits that come with that, which seemed to me to make sense given what is and is not within OW rules.
Well, if this is the case, then I will think twice before flying with QF again. With BA there is nothing to worry about. First of all they are very generous in terms of the allowance for their FTers, secondly they won't charge you arm and leg for each kilo since they have fixed fees for additional bags / excess.
Baggage is certainly a consideration if you're making a choice between BA and QF. I also factor in my likely baggage when deciding which airline to choose. But if you fly BA, there are disadvantages too.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is ithought this actually works alliance wise. If not, why FTers state here that BA Silver is equivalent to QF Gold if it cannot use QF Gold benefits? It just doesn't make sense to keep two statuses in different airlines within the same alliance just for baggage benefits...t still the case? I just had a dispute over this in MEL with airport staff. I am BA Silver and

It never has been a benefit; the staff at Melbourne were correct

Are you telling me that I paid AU$2000 for SIN-SYD-AKL-MEL-SIN in PE to only have 1x 23kg allowance? Same route was just AU$760 through BNE (instead of SYD) with EK in Y and 32kg allowance... I was travelling with my wife and we had just more than 5kg total excess, that is 2.5kg for each bag which they were not happy with.
No; you paid $2000 in order to travel premium economy on Qantas vs flying economy on Emirates. Emirates allowance is 30Kg for economy rather than 32Kg. A fairer comparison of cost would be Qantas Economy vs Emirates Economy ( though even so, EK tends ime to be much better value ) ; AUD2900 for a 1st return (50Kg allowance) SIN-BNE is better value to me than AUD2000 for QF PE

BA does indeed give additional allowance for their own Silver/Gold members but gives no additional allowance for Qantas members; pretty much a quid pro quo there

Dave
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:26 am

Thanks for your replies guys and correction regarding 30kg on EK
@Dave EK First could be a better value indeed for SIN-BNE but it was multi-city itinerary so that would come out much more expensive. Funny thing is that such multi-city booking cannot be made on QF website, as they don't show PE there. Hence I had to book through BA and had BA flight numbers.

Good thing is that when you make such a booking involving PE, it gives you J on SYD-AKL-MEL routes. On SYD-AKL morning flight it was A332 with lie flat sky beds. So there is some value in this booking in the end (more TPs; miles) but certainly not the baggage allowance you'd expect for the price you pay.

But anyway it just shows that OW sucks. If I am taking QF, AY and BA flights during the year, it is impossible to take advantage of the baggage allowances like Star Alliance does.

Last edited by stiwi; Nov 15, 2011 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But anyway it just shows that OW sucks.
Why? OW does some things that other alliances don't, just as other alliances do some things that OW doesn't.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for your replies guys and correction regarding 30kg on EK
@Dave EK First could be a better value indeed for SIN-BNE but it was multi-city itinerary so that would come out much more expensive. Funny thing is that such multi-city booking cannot be made on QF website, as they don't show PE there. Hence I had to book through BA and had BA flight numbers.
Could have done EK for $3044 business class return to Auckland wih stopovers in MEL and BNE

What you were doing wouldnt really be a multi-city itinerary , just a return SIN-AKL with stopovers en route

As far as QF goes, as long as you are now aware that BA status provides for no additional baggage allowance, then you will be fine for future travels on QF

Star Alliance and OneWorld Alliance are different alliances; should not expect the benefits in Star to be the same as OW

$2000 for Premium Economy is more pleasant than $760 in economy

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Could have done an open jaw 1st on EK combining $2767 SIN-MEL with $2767 SIN-BNE to give SIN-BNE/MEL-SIN and then just got a BNE-AKL one way in economy and AKL-MEL in economy for about $400 ... or taken the $3044 business class return to Auckland wih stopovers in MEL and BNE
[...]
I was considering taking EK J but as you mentioned that's AU$1000 more per person. I generally like to take J for trips 10+ hours where I can get some proper sleep but with 7h30min day flight I always have mixed feeling whether to pay more. I flew BA F & J SIN-SYD few times which were worth due to whole exEU booking. Now as I was starting from SIN, the prices were not so attractive anymore, so I decided to try out PE. I found QF PE fine for 7h trip but apart from champagne and upper deck on A388 it's not even close to Business comfort by any means.

Edit: As I mentioned, AU$2k was not that bad deal for PE on the whole route with J to and out of NZ. It earned 230 TP. On QF website the cheapest J SYD-AKL-SYD booking would cost AU$2600, so I am not saying I didn't make a good deal. My disappointment comes with the baggage allowance that doesn't work across OW.

Last edited by stiwi; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:34 am
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, LH, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
No.

Are you sure this applies to all one world partners? In September I flew JFK-MIA-JFK, I was allowed to check in two bags for free each way while flying in Y (and being BA Silver) ?!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schmidlin88
Are you sure this applies to all one world partners? In September I flew JFK-MIA-JFK, I was allowed to check in two bags for free each way while flying in Y (and being BA Silver) ?!
Different oneworld members have different policies. You had the benefit of an AA policy.

However, it isn't a oneworld alliance policy, and I think that it was to this that LHR/MEL/Europe FF was rightly drawing attention.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It never has been a benefit; the staff at Melbourne were correct
[...]
One more thing. I am not really sure if Melbourne airport staff was correct. When I approached the checkin desk, the lady informed me that we can checkin 2x 23kg for each person but not bags that we had (24 + 27kg). So we would have to repack.

Then she went and spoke with 2 guys from the Qantas airport desk centre, came back and confirmed that we are allowed 2x 23kg each but if we want to checkin bags like we have without repacking, we have to pay 5kg excess.

So now if Melbourne airport staff is correct, upon which rules and conditions PE booking is entitled to 2x 23kg per pax? If there would be equivalent benefits for BA Silver (QF Gold) there is written 46kg allowance and not 2x 23kg. Where did they take this from if baggage allowance benefits are not alliance wide? I had BA flight number on my itinerary and BA would normally indeed allow 2x 23kg in PE and waive the excess for Silver. But apparently this should not be the case here since flight is operated by QF then QF limits should apply. Therefore I should be entitled to 1x 23kg according to the rules...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.