Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by spacekiek
I’m just trying to find out whether VH-0QA is the only A380 serving flight QF32 ?
No...it could be any of them.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Braniff

I very much doubt this is volcano related. Iceland is far away ;-)
I think whoever mentioned the volcano was talking about the one that's erupting in Indonesia, not the Icelandic one.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Braniff
I believe Qantas has some corporate issues re. maintenance with everything that's been going on with them recently.
No, though perhaps that's what some would like you to believe. As I see it, they've just been the recipient of some pretty poor luck...and guess what, it's all been handled pretty well.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:19 am

Programs: 40 46'N 73 57'W; AA Gold; CO Silver
This is not an ash issue. Ash does not cause parts of the engine and covering to come off. Look at it for yourself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/wo.../05qantas.html
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: LH HON, Qantas Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by jasp25
here's a pic from a pax:

got this from airliner.net

http://yfrog.com/0quh4dj
This is extremely serious. Obviously, three engine parts made it to hit trough the wing entirely. Very, very lucky that we didn´t have the Concorde event again with the fuel cells of the wing leaking and burning.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:37 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by 100K
This is not an ash issue. Ash does not cause parts of the engine and covering to come off.....
Actually it can (by eroding the metal in the turbine blades, which in turn can become unbalanced and fracture -- which is consistent with the damage seen on QF32 in the photo). But more likely is the ash fusing to become glass and coating various parts of the engine (which causes loss of thrust due to reduced engine capacity). There is no indication that ash was involved in QF32 (and lots of indication that it was not); however it is not out of the question. There does appear to have been at least 2 unrelated failures, and possibly more, so this is a pretty major event. On par with the DC-10 grounding; my money would be on no A380 flights at Christmas.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Wow another incident from Qantas!! I think was it last month a 744 experienced engine problems and now the A380!!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:42 am

Pardon the spelling mistake (it was still early in my part of the world....)

Yes - I was refering to Indonesian volcano.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by vbroucek
QF just grounded ALL A380 until further notice...
Poor Qantas, their saftey reputation keeps on getting damaged

Anybody know at which airports the 6 aircraft are currently grounded?

I'm aware that one of them is in Singapore

Any chance LHR has the merit?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:54 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by Chalkie
As luck would have it, I was due to make my first 380 flight in F over the next few days. Looks like I will be experiencing F in the 747 instead!
Ahh similar thing happened to me. I just booked my first trip on one yesterday before the incident maybe an hour before it happened.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:56 am

How long before other carriers follow QFs lead? Can they afford not to pull them out for 24 hours for inspection? Yet, apparently both Emirates and Lufthansa say all flights are proceeding as planned.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Loss of disc integrity?

Originally Posted by avsfan733
"We are issuing this AD to detect rearward movement of the IP turbine, which could result in loss of disc integrity, an uncontained failure of the engine, and damage to the airplane."

FAA air worthiness directive issued 8/13/10 FYI...
http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...an-engines#p-6
Wow-- reading that AD is really revealing, so nice catch avsfan733. As a A+P Mechanic and licensed commercial pilot, this would keep me off of 380's until resolved. If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going? Hope they can come up with a good fix to keep those monsters up in the air. Good thing they have 4 of those things, but when they start to penetrate the upper surface of the wing, several yards away from the nacelle, time to stop flying I guess!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by moeve
Why Quantas again??!! At least that was the first thought that came to mind this morning when I saw the news. Bear in mind their A380 is certainly not the oldest one nor with the most flight time.......Maybe they did come tooo close to the volcanic ash....
Sure. And don't forget to mention badly paid maintenance workers and the doomed influence of China and low crew morale all negatively impairing the maintenance of a brand new jet. Or the fleet age in general....

The contribution of the airline to this incident was confined to landing it safely after the emergency occurred .. which they did.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Looks like god news for GE and Pratt

http://www.enginealliance.com/

Bad for Rolls, good for GE and Pratt. I bet there will be some refits in the offing for Qantas! A catastrophic engine failure is bad for one's reputation. This failure could have easily caused a fuel-fire and catastrophic airframe damage similar to the Concorde. Wing penetration without a fuel fire is just good luck in my opinion.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by flyr16
How long before other carriers follow QFs lead? Can they afford not to pull them out for 24 hours for inspection? Yet, apparently both Emirates and Lufthansa say all flights are proceeding as planned.
Lufthansa had a spokesperson say today that LH is neither grounding any A380 nor having any reason to looking into it..

Quite self assured statement, since LH is operating the same airframe and engine setup and also does maintenance on this make for Qantas...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.