Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:54 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
[mod hat]

I've just deleted a number of posts - the thread was getting OT and onto Boeing v Airbus.

Please stick to the thread topic.

Thanks

[/mod hat]
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:12 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by number_6
No, the report is that the insurers' are paying USD 70m towards the total cost of repairing the aircraft -- which will be higher than that. Just the engine cost is USD 25m, and I think both engines need to be replaced (that is USD 50m right there). The wing replacement will be a fascinating repair.
but why would the aircraft's insurers be contributing to the cost of replacing engines. The engines have different owners and likely insurers. The $70M is for repairing the aircraft (initial estimate). The cost of engines (at least one new one and at least one rebuild) is unlikely to be born by QF or its aircraft insurer.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:16 pm

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/f...-1225965266487

A PASSENGER on troubled QF32 alerted flight crew to fluid leaking from the plane's wing after spotting it on the in-flight entertainment unit, air safety investigators have revealed.

The Sydney-bound flight was travelling over Indonesia on November 4 when it was forced to return to Singapore after the failure of one of its Rolls-Royce-built Trent 900 engines.

The passenger, a pilot for the operator, brought a crew member’s attention to the issue, which was captured by a camera mounted on the plane.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Qantas (not Quantas) begins lawsuit

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...gines/133435/1

"Qantas has launched preliminary legal action against Rolls-Royce, the manufacturer of the engine that exploded on one of its A380 superjumbos in mid-air last month." That's from The Associated Press, which adds that "the airline said Thursday it has filed a statement of claim in a federal court that will allow it to launch legal action against Rolls-Royce at some point."
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Glad to see that the airline's name is understood
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by NM
but why would the aircraft's insurers be contributing to the cost of replacing engines. The engines have different owners and likely insurers. ....
Agreed, but the original statement was that insurers (plural) would be paying $70m -- not just the airplane's insurers. There are also business continuity insurers, liability insurers (quite relevant now that QF has filed a statement of claim in Australian court against RR, fwiw).

My guess is the A380 repair will cost over USD 100 million, and total claims will be over USD 200 million. Lots of money for QF and lots of expense for RR and maybe Airbus. Wonder how many A330s QF will get this time?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pilots saved crippled Airbus, investigator says

By Balazs Koranyi

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Pilots of a crippled Qantas Airbus A380 superjumbo struggled with more than a dozen system errors after an engine blew apart on Nov 4 and landed the plane in Singapore with barely any runway to spare, an Australian investigation showed.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Qantas....html?x=0&.v=4
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: QFF
Wonder how many A330s QF will get this time?
26. Enough for a 1:1 replacement of their old 767's. Of course, Airbus would try to get them all delivered before the 787's arrive.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
and all with 2/3/2 across in J...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I hate the middle seat in J. It is obnoxious even when I am on the aisle beside one because the poor schmuck who has that seat is incapable of normal movement. I suppose nobody likes it anywhere.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Funny especially as airbus used to have ads that said "there's no middle seat in our business class".
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by sxc
Funny especially as airbus used to have ads that said "there's no middle seat in our business class".
That decision was up to QF. They specify how their aircraft are configured.

to that decision.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOB W
That decision was up to QF. They specify how their aircraft are configured.

to that decision.

QF A380 and QF A330 (international configuration) don't have a middle seat in J.

There is only a domestic configuration which does. I'm therefore confused about your post and how it relates to the A380z
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
and all with 2/3/2 across in J...
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
There is only a domestic configuration which does. I'm therefore confused about your post and how it relates to the A380z
It was referring to the A330 mentioned upthread.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:10 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by Traveloguy

QF A380 and QF A330 (international configuration) don't have a middle seat in J.

[mod hat]

Guys this is about the A380 - not domestic J on an A330

Thanks

[/mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.