Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading SYD-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF (Plat)
Upgrading SYD-LAX

I have a job interview in Washington, DC next week and have been booked on flights from Sydney to there and back by my prospective employer in economy (H) [Flights on Thursday arriving 1735, interview 9am Friday]. I am contemplating upgrading on the outbound SYD-LAX leg if possible so I arrive in marginally better shape. I am currently Platinum with Qantas.

Will the fact that it is only a week before the flights effectively mean I've got Buckley's of getting an upgrade? Would I be better aiming for PE rather than business? Any suggestions on maximising my chances of getting an upgrade? (Any suggestions on whether it's worth it?)

(One wrinkle at the moment is that the booking has jsut gone in and hasn't been ticketed or paid for - as best I can judge - so I can't yet submit an online upgrade request. I presume this will work out as the booking is processed and ticketed by their travel agent.)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Some years ago Qantas noted in the QFF T&C's that time of upgrade request had bearing over upgrade priority. This is no longer so indicated.

Based on recent anecdotes and comment, it appears that the following attributes of a booking comprise in order the main determinants for priority these days:
  1. Frequent Flyer Status
  2. Booking Class (≈Fare Paid)
  3. Years of QFF membership
Whether time of request is still used is not publicly known, but almost certainly comes after those.

I would put the request in for both PE and Business. Based on the above, being in H class would put you ahead of the WP's not booked in PE or Y or B classes.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 27, 2010 at 5:20 pm
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think with a job interview waiting at the other end trying to get an upgrade is worth it.
The flights don't show any I class anymore which is not surprising but they still have plenty of seats in Biz so you might be lucky.

[KVS Availability Tool 5.8.0/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/GTC/US-LTR]
Code:
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
THU  04 Nov 2010

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------
QF         107     SYD   10:50     LAX   06:15     744  0   F8 A7 P0 J9 C9 D9 I0 U0 W9 R9 T0 Z0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9
QF         11      SYD   14:10     LAX   09:45     388  0   F6 A6 P0 J9 C9 D9 I0 U0 W9 R0 T0 Z0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L5 V7 S4
But, why would you want to work for someone who is only paying for Y?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
the main determinants for priority these days:
  1. Frequent Flyer Status Platinum
  2. Booking Class (≈Fare Paid) H
  3. Years of QFF membership Member since Feb 96
Whether time of request is still used is not publicly known, but almost certainly comes after those.

I would put the request in for both PE and Business. Based on the above, being in H class would put you ahead of the WP's not booked in PE or Y or B classes.
If I put a request in for both will it all work out sensibly? There's no chance they will grant me both and charge for both?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skippy_kangaroo
If I put a request in for both will it all work out sensibly? There's no chance they will grant me both and charge for both?
Unlikely; last month I had requests for J&W LHR-SIN and SIN-MEL.

The LHR flight went to PE and the MEL flight went to J; correct quantities of points were charged in each case.

I believe they assess the upgrades in the following sequence:
  1. J to F
  2. W to J
  3. Y to J
  4. Y to W
I you have a Y to J/W request, then 3 will be assessed for you first and if not successful, then 4 will be processed in turn.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Based on recent anecdotes and comment, it appears that the following attributes of a booking comprise in order the main determinants for priority these days:
  1. Frequent Flyer Status
I am somewhat skeptical about that order, as I'm WP, and have booked quite a few Y/H fares from SYD-SIN vv. in the past 18 months, and not had much success at getting upgrades. Now, it may be that there are people further ahead of me, and it may be that QF are simply not permitting the upgrades, but I suspect that order of application still has some bearing (just based on my circumstances), since I book fairly close to flying (typically 1-2 weeks beforehand). For PE, I'm usually in W (sometimes R), and again upgrade success has been mixed. For business I'm always in D, and upgrade success has been reasonably good.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'll find out on Thursday. I'll post how it goes here.

Apparently there is some difficulty with their online system at the moment so I put in a business class upgrade request on the phone. I decided not to request PE as well because I consider the quality of sleep in PE to be very similar to the quality of sleep in economy with a window to lean against. (But I welcome contrary views if people want to make them.)

An interesting aspect of all this is that the points earn on this flight (with 100% platinum bonus) is around 30,000 SYD-LAX-SYD plus 5 or 10K LAX-IAD-LAX (do you get bonus status points for QF codeshares run on AA planes?) which is pretty close to the PE upgrade cost of 45K for the SYD-LAX leg. If it weren't for the uncertainty about the request being granted, I'd say it looks like a very efficient way to fly and use points.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
I am somewhat skeptical about that order, as I'm WP ...
Skeptical you may be. At least there's another few data points.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
An interesting aspect of all this is that the points earn on this flight (with 100% platinum bonus) is around 30,000 SYD-LAX-SYD plus 5 or 10K LAX-IAD-LAX (do you get bonus status points for QF codeshares run on AA planes?) which is pretty close to the PE upgrade cost of 45K for the SYD-LAX leg.
QF status bonus applies to QF BA and AA codes.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Skeptical you may be. At least there's another few data points.
Perhaps. Can you point me to some? I've seen the above list stated many times, but I can't recall much evidence to support it.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am aware of two SG on the same flight from Asia last year. One booked a long time before (V class) and put a request in at T-90 days; another paid somewhat more in booking three weeks out (M class) and put their upgrade request in immediately.

The latter was upgraded to Business, the former to PE.

In any case, I would still recommend any who wish to upgrade to apply as the earliest possible moment.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade successful.

Doing seat selection now there were still a few other seats left as well.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Upgrade successful.
Good luck with the interview
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Good luck with the interview
Mission successful

The flight out was not full - there were spare seats in all classes. This probably affected my upgrade success.

The flight back, however, was so full they had people strapped onto the roof racks. My bag also failed to make it back with me (see the other thread about baggage coverage that I started somewhat presciently). That's what you get when an engine blows up and you ground your fleet of A380s.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Some years ago Qantas noted in the QFF T&C's that time of upgrade request had bearing over upgrade priority. This is no longer so indicated.

1. Frequent Flyer Status

This does seem to be the situation. A WP friend who had an H fare SYD-JNB to get to the world cup applied for his upgrade Y->J the day before travel and it cleared well before check-in and he was able to select seats (apparently only 2-3 seats free on the seat selector). He'd been a member since 1996 and a WP for 3-4 years in a row.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether your employer affiliations would count? This friend also works for travels extensively for a large Australian bank and this is in his profile + QF would know via their CRM software.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.