Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dress code in j class qantas ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:13 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 4TheRide
I have the QF J grey ones and BA F black ones, both of which I wear to sleep in at home. While the BA F ones are fancier with the piping and all, I find the QF J grey ones more comfy. They are actually the comfiest thing I own. But I never wear either of these on flights, I just stay in what I boarded with which is jeans and a t-shirt. Often on a flight I don't even take off my shoes, even to sleep.
The BA F PJs I have are Navy Blue.

Whenever I see people wearing socks or bare feet into the lavatory it makes me shudder! I keep my shoes on, except to sleep.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
While the BA F ones are fancier with the piping and all, I find the QF J grey ones more comfy.
Perhaps because they fit you better?
But I never wear either of these on flights, I just stay in what I boarded with which is jeans and a t-shirt. Often on a flight I don't even take off my shoes, even to sleep.
The horror! First thing I do is take off my shoes and put on the flip-flops I carry in my computer bag. On long-hauls international the second thing I do is change into PJs.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Whenever I see people wearing socks or bare feet into the lavatory it makes me shudder!
Better their feet than mine! But then, I also carry paper booties to wear at U.S. security checkpoints. I hate wearing shoes, but I hate having dirty feet too.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I travel in anything pretty much. Never had a problem. I too have a Zegna Cashmere travelling jacket but after watching the QF crew try and give it away to too many other PAX I have stopped travelling with it. Mostly on the plane I wear Icebreaker trakkies and a long sleeve Icebreaker T Shirt. On my recent Delta flight I boarded with my 5 fingers shoes on which caused some interest from the crew (but more because people want to know if they really are as comfy as everyone says).

I typically board in jeans and a t shirt and get changed onboard but for QF oh-so-late out of LAX I will shower and change in the lounge and board in PJ's, likewise for anything overnight TATL. I am worried about a RTO or rapid return and cabin evac, the last thing I want is to be having an emergency in my PJ's.

I also qualify as a row 1 jetstar suit but I only fly in a suit when day tripping for business.

I don't go to the bathroom in my socks, I go in the airlines socks :-)

Finally I get op-up'ed 4 or 5 times a year and never has the quick check machine or the gate agent (as some of my op-ups take place at time of boarding) asked me to change into something more suitable.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nonce

I also qualify as a row 1 jetstar suit but I only fly in a suit when day tripping for business.
I wear my suit on aircraft for work trips, even when coming back on weekends because it 1) saves the shape of the suit and b) it means I can take carry on only. I always enjoy the look of the J cabin crew when they take my jacket from the wardrobe, see my boarding pass in Row 1 Y and decide whether to hand me my jacket or not as we descend. I've noted that older crew tend to, younger ones certainly won't. It's beneath them.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:47 am

I wear my suit on aircraft for work trips, even when coming back on weekends because it 1) saves the shape of the suit and b) it means I can take carry on only.
+1 on that... only recently started doing this, as many of my trips are for events where biz-casual is fine (and most journalists have no sense of style anyway – honestly, I've been on trips with some who bring ONE backpack [mainly full with laptop, camera, charger, noise-cancelling headphones, uber-basic toiletries] and they wear the same T-shirt and jeans for 2+ days!)... but for higher-level events where I've packed a suit, only a few years back did the penny drop that wearing the suit in-flight made for smarter carry-on only packing!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Originally Posted by djsflynn
+1 on that... only recently started doing this, as many of my trips are for events where biz-casual is fine (and most journalists have no sense of style anyway – honestly, I've been on trips with some who bring ONE backpack [mainly full with laptop, camera, charger, noise-cancelling headphones, uber-basic toiletries] and they wear the same T-shirt and jeans for 2+ days!)... but for higher-level events where I've packed a suit, only a few years back did the penny drop that wearing the suit in-flight made for smarter carry-on only packing!
Yep! Extra protip is to wear your jacket over jeans and a shirt, giving a more dressed up look and meaning that the suit pants can go into the top of the bag.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by bugayev
Yep! Extra protip is to wear your jacket over jeans and a shirt, giving a more dressed up look and meaning that the suit pants can go into the top of the bag.
Good tip! Yeah, gonna try that next time I'm packing the jacket, which is thankfully not often. I find toughest trips for 'carry-on only' are when I'm going from summer to winter, especially my annual trips to US in Jan and UK in Feb – but I find the discipline of trying to do a carry-on pack is sorta fun in itself... so am I weird, or do others here take some (potentially perverse) pride in that?

It's actually very interesting to look at how people dress in biz class... some of them are incredibly dressed-down, others up to the 9's, some are oh-so-casual but still manage to look crisp and stylish.

(Oh, FWIW, actually I don't wear jeans on the flight, find them too heavy a fabric – I generally prefer lightweight cotton chinos).
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Not sure what you mean by suits getting crushed, I have no issues with this and my Zegna or Kenneth Cole suits. I find anything of good quality is very crush resistant. Most of my trips are just with my laptop bag (backpack). Add a wheel aboard and I can do 2 weeks with just carry on.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by bugayev
That's exactly what I do.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by nonce
Not sure what you mean by suits getting crushed, I have no issues with this and my Zegna or Kenneth Cole suits. I find anything of good quality is very crush resistant. Most of my trips are just with my laptop bag (backpack). Add a wheel aboard and I can do 2 weeks with just carry on.
If we insist on name dropping all of my suits are Emporio Armani, Dolce & Gabanna, or Hugo Boss Black Premium. While the quality may be impeccable, wearing a suit jacket while flying does affect the shape of the jacket. I always hang it in the plane cupboard.

Alternatively I take the suit in the garment bag it came with, however find that FAs really don't like these in the cupboards as they take up a lot of room, which is fair.

Now if I actually knew how to fold a suit to pack, my situation would be different, but I can't seem to grasp how some of my friends manage to do this. It's an artform in itself to pack a suit jacket in a manner that keeps its shape.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: QF(WP), Velocity Gold, SPG, PC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Oh I wouldn't say that....when in BA F I wear a three piece pin striped suit, starched collar, polished brogues, a bowler hat and pink cami knickers.....all very British.
Can we have a pic - lol
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:43 am

If we insist on name dropping all of my suits are Emporio Armani, Dolce & Gabanna, or Hugo Boss Black Premium... alternatively I take the suit in the garment bag it came with.
m0hamed, how do you find durability of the Emporio Armani-supplied suit bags? I've had the zippers come right off the rails with two of these after two or three flights - the zipper teeth seemed very small and not very 'grippy'.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
m0hamed, how do you find durability of the Emporio Armani-supplied suit bags? I've had the zippers come right off the rails with two of these after two or three flights - the zipper teeth seemed very small and not very 'grippy'.
Pathetic!

I love Emporio Armani, and have done since I was 17... which was only 12 years ago. That said I tend to shop from the US store, and deliver it to family members who live in NYC. Apart from the cheaper prices which you can see on their website, which in Australia they more than double, the buyers for the Asia Pacific have no idea what to buy. The garment bags supplied with suits and jackets are of low quality, I've had the zippers break, missing eyelets on one side so I actually use the Hugo ones for all my suits. I had the same issue with Versace jackets. The zippers kept breaking so I had to keep sending them back.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
If we insist on name dropping all of my suits are Emporio Armani, Dolce & Gabanna, or Hugo Boss Black Premium. While the quality may be impeccable, wearing a suit jacket while flying does affect the shape of the jacket. I always hang it in the plane cupboard.
Oh dear. I'd much rather weat a suit made from a top quality fabric by a good quality tailor than any one of those brands. I've had my suits done for years by a tailor in Kuala Lumpur. He has my measurements and sends me the suits / shirts when I ask. Much cheaper and fits much better than any "premium" brand off the rack.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:28 pm

Ozzie, I think there's a sorta natural progression in that, isn't there..? Maybe most of us start in late teens or early 20s with a simple affordable off-the-rack from a mainstream store; then we move up to better and more fashionable brands, especially as we start to travel and can get them so much cheaper overseas; and then if things continue in that direction we start to go bespoke.

My first was, well, I honestly can't recall but it was a Sydney mainstream menswear place, quite decent but also clearly 'affordable' (as when you're young you can't always justify too much on the first suit). Then moved into Boss, then Zegna; added the odd Armani and Banana Republic for a bit of mod sharpness (and again, the prices you get on a good BR sale can't be beat to add something fresh to the wardrobe) plus some great Ted Bakers for flair (they have a great 'Endurance' range, light and stands wear very well, one of which is my fave for a two-day trip to HK or Singapore); recently started to dabble in bespoke, although I can't justify too much of an indulgence in that area as my current suits are still in great nick and I have less chance to wear them these days.

There's a great BBC series on British fashion (if you're into that, as I am) which has one ep on the suite and bespoke tailors... will see if I can find details for you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.