Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advise please: Where to move [AA, BA?] when I hit Life Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advise please: Where to move [AA, BA?] when I hit Life Gold

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
Part of the commercial reality in the US, where many companies prohibit premium travel now ... so AA has introduced B fares that are higher than F fares on some routes and used the high FF plan payoff as a way to bribe people to buy these high fares that are otherwise unjustified (and of course EXP get free upgrade to F, so effectively buying B fare is same as buying an F fare, just gets billed and expensed as economy travel. AA knows how to game the system Never forget that FF plan is AA's most profitable product.
Just imagine what would happen if companies actually insisted that their employees have to buy the cheapest available ticket on an airline!
Old May 24, 2010, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Thanks martin33 and Dave, that's helped a lot.

Still not quite got my head around EPMs, EQPs, etc yet - you earn the same amount of EQPs on a B fare in economy as on a full-fare F?!? - but I'll read more and sure I'll work it out!
when AA first invented EQP's, full Y was the baseline for 1.0x points. several years ago this scheme was relaxed, and Y and B were placed on the tier with paid Biz and First as far as EQP earning. As pointed out, full Y/B is now often actually a higher dollar fare than discount/nonrefundable Biz or F...
Old May 24, 2010, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by number_6
Part of the commercial reality in the US, where many companies prohibit premium travel now ... so AA has introduced B fares that are higher than F fares on some routes and used the high FF plan payoff as a way to bribe people to buy these high fares that are otherwise unjustified (and of course EXP get free upgrade to F, so effectively buying B fare is same as buying an F fare, just gets billed and expensed as economy travel. AA knows how to game the system Never forget that FF plan is AA's most profitable product.
Makes sense to attract the Y-only business types, but does not make it so attractive for those who actually pay for F does it? Even if F earned just 2 EQP it would at least differentiate it from Y and J.

Having done the maths, my last million dollar question is how many EQM are earned on Discount Y fares on OW partners (say LHR-CDG on BA or SYD-MEL on QF) - cos if the 500 minimum does not apply in this case (it used to I believe) I can't see me making EXP.

It looks like my current travel patterns make it very hard for me (in many years anyway) to earn EXP - to earn WP the last 5/6 years in a row I have relied on the big SC hit of a few J flights a year (3 or 4 times the SCs that would have been earned in Discount Y), and lots and lots of Y flights really do add up. But even if cheapo short-haul Y flights do earn 500 EQM in the AA prog. (for e.g.) this is still a significantly lower % of the required amount per year than 10 SCs equiv. is in QF WP prog. (0.5% versus 0.833% [of 1,200 SCs needed for WP renewal). If they don't then I think 100,000 EQM is well out of my reach more often than not.

Looks like getting there on EQP will be as unlikely for me as all these Y flights earn at 0.5 of the miles flown (and premium fares just 1.5).

Does at least validate my FF choice since I started being a frequent traveller - have earned Emerald status and all that comes with WP in QF each year since, where as if I had been in the BA or AA (or any other OW prog.?) I would only have been a Sapphire/QF Gold equiv. many of those years.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; May 24, 2010 at 8:56 am
Old May 24, 2010, 9:20 am

Having done the maths, my last million dollar question is how many EQM are earned on Discount Y fares on OW partners (say LHR-CDG on BA or SYD-MEL on QF) - cos if the 500 minimum does not apply in this case (it used to I believe) I can't see me making EXP.

It looks like my current travel patterns make it very hard for me (in many years anyway) to earn EXP - to earn WP the last 5/6 years in a row I have relied on the big SC hit of a few J flights a year (3 or 4 times the SCs that would have been earned in Discount Y), and lots and lots of Y flights really do add up. But even if cheapo short-haul Y flights do earn 500 EQM in the AA prog. (for e.g.) this is still a significantly lower % of the required amount per year than 10 SCs equiv. is in QF WP prog. (0.5% versus 0.833% [of 1,200 SCs needed for WP renewal). If they don't then I think 100,000 EQM is well out of my reach more often than not.

Looks like getting there on EQP will be as unlikely for me as all these Y flights earn at 0.5 of the miles flown (and premium fares just 1.5).
The answer is it depends on the partner. Elite members (including ruby) get 500 minimum EQM always on AA-coded segments, no matter what partner metal it may be. On cheap BA-coded economy segments it's 125 minimum since BA only awards 25% credit (at least under current rules; who knows what will happen post-ATI), otherwise 500 minimum.

As for EQP, the disparity can be quite large. Segments in B or higher (including most connecting coach segments on Biz trips, that book in Y) earn 750 minimum EQP. That same minimum would apply to Y or better BA. Cheapo standalone economy segments have 250 minimum on AA, and as low as 63 EQP on BA...

The flying patterns specified--lots in long haul Y and Y+, quite a bit of (UK-Europe) short-haul J (at least 6 or 7 returns a year), plus at least 2 or 3 long-haul J a year (F very occasionally)-- would likely make it touch and go for EQP-based EXP, since the F, J and Y+ all earn at 3x the rate of discount Y... comes down to how long the long-hauls are, really. Europe-Australia in Y+ earns 30,000+ EQP round-trip, but LHR-YYZ only 10,000 or so...

of course if one is really racking up the short-hauls week after week, AA has a third qualification method based on total segments flown-- 30/60/100 segments would make the grade.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having done the maths, my last million dollar question is how many EQM are earned on Discount Y fares on OW partners (say LHR-CDG on BA or SYD-MEL on QF) - cos if the 500 minimum does not apply in this case (it used to I believe) I can't see me making EXP..
With status, SYD-MEL will earn a minimum of 500 qualifying miles and BA will earn a minimum of 125 qualifying miles. qualifying points will depend on the point to mile ratio. Remember, either miles or points count
Old May 24, 2010, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
of course if one is really racking up the short-hauls week after week, AA has a third qualification method based on total segments flown-- 30/60/100 segments would make the grade.
Yep, but that is def. out. Even in my biggest years I only fly 50-60 sectors.
Originally Posted by martin33
comes down to how long the long-hauls are, really. Europe-Australia in Y+ earns 30,000+ EQP round-trip, but LHR-YYZ only 10,000 or so...
Heem, very interesting! Had been looking a lot at the short-haul and premium class earning points and less at my long-haul flying, yet with what you say maybe I would be OK: I do afterall do at least 2 or 3 UK-Oz a year (though often in cheapo Y), and another 1 - 3 UK-Asia a year, so maybe 100,000 AA points is less than I had worked it out to be.

Cos the way you put it 3 UK-Oz returns in Y+ almost earns EXP by itself! I can do that!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With status, SYD-MEL will earn a minimum of 500 qualifying miles and BA will earn a minimum of 125 qualifying miles. qualifying points will depend on the point to mile ratio. Remember, either miles or points count
Ta Dave.

Thanks again to you both ^
Old May 24, 2010, 9:31 pm

Heem, very interesting! Had been looking a lot at the short-haul and premium class earning points and less at my long-haul flying, yet with what you say maybe I would be OK: I do afterall do at least 2 or 3 UK-Oz a year (though often in cheapo Y), and another 1 - 3 UK-Asia a year, so maybe 100,000 AA points is less than I had worked it out to be.

Cos the way you put it 3 UK-Oz returns in Y+ almost earns EXP by itself! I can do that!
LON-SYD in PE is approc 10500 miles so earns approx 15750 points...r/t= 31500...so indeed 3 will almost do it giving 94500 points

Dave
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering whether the recent changes in regards the AA/BA partnership, and subsequent (positive) changes to their FF schemes, make any difference to whether I should be moving (once I hit Life Gold) from QFFF to AA (as most felt [and I agreed) was the best option) instead of BA? (Remembering that my priority is mile burn ratio, and reducing costs (taxes/fines) involved in using the miles, more than other factors/considerations).

In light of the changes at first I thought I should reconsider moving to BAEC, but having looked at it am I right - remembering that with my travel pattern I would rarely if ever make/earn BAEC Gold but might make ExecPlat some years - that in fact it makes it even more sensible/beneficial that I move to AAdvantage (seeing as I do a lot of flying on BA [often in Y] and now all economy classes in all routes earn 100% miles [and 50% or 100% EQP] on the AA scheme)?

And any evidence/experience yet whether AA FFs are getting treated (i.e. upgraded etc!) similar to BAEC elites when flying on BA flights, or at least are being treated better than they were before the BA/AA alliance was launched?

Cos if being an AA FF elite on BA flights means quite good chances of an upgrade too then that would make the case for moving to AA even more compelling!

Thanks again for all your help and advise.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
From the emails i have received if you fly BA TATL you will be able to use Aadvantage miles to upgrade but not EVIPs.Certainly makes Aadvantage even more advantageous to you.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:22 pm

I would still recommend AA; AA has improved earnings now on BA giving the 100% points plus 100% bonus for Platinum and higher members and has better redemption rates

The minus that came in is that fuel fines apply on BA sectors, however this is still better than the fuel fine frenzy that BA would charge

On BA and IB flights, You can upgrade Y or B base fares using miles from economy to Premum Economy ( or business if no premium economy), W to business or JCDR to 1st. Redemption rates for Sydney to Singapore/Bangkok would be 12.5k economy to premium or premium to business ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp )

This is on top of the normal AA upgrade options

Given that AA Platinum gives 100% mileage bonus , the redemption rates are typically better plus that if you can attain Executive Platinum the 8 Systemwide upgrades , I would still be moving across to AAdvantage

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much drron and especially Dave, really helpful info and comments/observations.^

I had not even considered the upgrade on BA flights bit (and on Iberia, which also is of interest to me), I had forgotten that, which only adds to the case for moving to AA!

With what I had thought and what you have said and confirmed it's a pretty clear choice to move to AA is seems.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Note that upgrades on BA are significantly cheaper however (and on more fare classes), so if upgrading is what you want to do, BA may actually be the better programme.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Note that upgrades on BA are significantly cheaper however (and on more fare classes), so if upgrading is what you want to do, BA may actually be the better programme.
BA upgrades from economy require H,B or Y class and I would not say that the upgrade cost is that much cheaper. For actual awards, AA wins hands down

e.g. to upgrade economy to WT+ SIN-SYD costs 12.5k AA miles or 12.5k BA miles ; the only difference is that BA allows it on H class

When it comes to an award, BA charges 25,000 one way from SYD-SIN in economy, 37.5k in WT+ , 50k in business, 75k in 1st ( plus fuel fines whether on BA or QF ) whilst AA charges 25k one way in economy, 35k in business and 45k in 1st with fuel fines only if on BA.

Although economy is similar priced, business is cheaper from AA than BA charges for Premium Economy

Dave
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Y+ upgrades are only from W fares which are often hideously expensive. Other premium economy fares are non upgradable using AA miles.

Also the number of miles required to upgrade are very high with almost the same number required as needed for a straight award booking. Granted it's not even in the same league as QF's fleecing.

If the OP is on T fares often, BA might be the better way to go, especially if combined with a BA shareholder discount.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:28 pm

I would look at the cost of actual awards as a key item and for that , imo, AA wins hands down.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 30, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.