Search

Geeky Question - Interlined Tag

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Geeky Question - Interlined Tag

Hello All,

I think this if my first posting on QF forum, recently travelled from LHR to CHC, BA to SIN, the QF to New Zealand. My luggage was interlined to CHC, when we picked up our luggage, it was tagged with a "Lateral 43".

What does this mean? Curoius more than anything else.

John
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:53 am

Here's what I believe happened:

A Lateral is just a place where bags for a certain flight are stored. Normally machines sort the baggage automatically into the right places.

If your bag was early for your flight (ie they hadn't started accepting baggage for it), then they may have tagged it and put it in a pile of luggage that later needed to be resorted and placed in the right area.

Someone else might know more!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: QFF
Hey johnny5a
These sorts of queries are also of interest to me-part of the intricacies of modern travel.
I also have the impression that it refers to the sorting bay area that the bag gets allocated in the automated process.

Last edited by gladstoneyoung; Dec 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Why a human-readable tag for an intermediate storage place in an automated baggage sorting process? Presumably at SIN all the sorting is automated, and there isn't human intervention to place bags into laterals
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Here's what I believe happened:

A Lateral is just a place where bags for a certain flight are stored. Normally machines sort the baggage automatically into the right places.

If your bag was early for your flight (ie they hadn't started accepting baggage for it), then they may have tagged it and put it in a pile of luggage that later needed to be resorted and placed in the right area.

Someone else might know more!
I think the max. transit time between flights was 2 hours.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by johnny5a
I think the max. transit time between flights was 2 hours.

Maximum transit time two hours?

Dave
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
With a 2 hour connection at SIN there was zero chance of the bags going into a lateral. Most likely it was at LHR; perhaps the bags were checked in before the flight was assigned for sorting. I know T3 has severe baggage space issues and limited sorting capacity (there is a several hundred million dollar upgrade underway but not done yet).
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Some times the baggae reading system is down and manual lateral tags have to be added. Has happened at SYD a few times where the baggae master system could not read the airlines tags and instead eveyrone had to use laterals. Each airline/handling company has a lateral number where their bags will drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.