Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to transfer points?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Possible to transfer points?

Hi

Is it possible to transfer Qantas points from one Qantas member's account to others?

If yes, how?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Rubal
Hi

Is it possible to transfer Qantas points from one Qantas member's account to others?

If yes, how?

Thanks
Yes it is possible to transfer points between one Qantas account and another... provided you fall within the transfer rules.

The rules limit transfers to family members. The definition of family is very broad however and includes everyone from first cousins, foster children and domestic partners.

Unlike AA and some other US airlines there is no cost involved to transfer points, but there are limits (for example only one points transfer in a calendar year, and a max number of points that can be transferred is 100,000).

Full details on the QF website. The transfer can be done on line - just need your PIN.

For more info see here: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...efamilymembers

I think it is a fairly generous system.

Regards

lme ff
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for this info. It helps.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
(for example only one points transfer in a calendar year, and a max number of points that can be transferred is 100,000).
Those conditions however are negotiable. I have transfered a few hundred thousand points to Mrs DUF in one go in the past.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:48 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
How strict is QF on the once a year rule? My father has accumulated some points as NB and has offered them to me. They would help with an award redemption, but the last transfer was in Feb. Have any WP successfully negotiated around this rule?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Those conditions however are negotiable. I have transfered a few hundred thousand points to Mrs DUF in one go in the past.
how would that be possible?
certainly not on the website.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Plat, DL Plat, FB Plat, UA 1P, VA Plat, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by aussielori
how would that be possible?
certainly not on the website.
And dont rely on it happening on the phone either.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:34 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I just called QF to transfer points again within 12 months. FF rep said no. I asked if he could check with a supervisor as it is for impending travel. He said no point, supervisor would say no. Charming, no?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:45 am

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Charming, no?
That's the rules - I wouldn't expect anything else. In fact the ability to transfer between family members is relatively new in the program, and works well to collect small amounts of orphan points into a master account for an award.

I feel sorry for the call centre staff who have to enforce these rules and end up stuck.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I'd be mightily pissed off if I had a sequence of people questionning my answers and asking to speak with my manager in an effort to get a different answer.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
I read somewhere recently that only 7% of FF points are ever redeemed.

I thought this to be low but maybe there are enormous numbers of accounts where there are not significant usable points.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:49 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Interesting comments. You would think that none of us use the unpublished benefit of having award seats opened up on request. Or requesting award assistance fees be waived.

I, frankly, see this as no different. Clearly others on here have had the rule waived. So why shouldn't I attempt to do the same? Would you tell others not to practice the above?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: MP 1P, QF Silver, WN CP, HH Diamond, PC Spire, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Interesting comments. You would think that none of us use the unpublished benefit of having award seats opened up on request. Or requesting award assistance fees be waived.

I, frankly, see this as no different. Clearly others on here have had the rule waived. So why shouldn't I attempt to do the same? Would you tell others not to practice the above?
The points transfer is meant to be strictly between family members. However there is no reason why you can not transfer points to non-family. The online points transfer has no checking system to tell if its a family member or not, as you are only transferring from one QF FF # to another. (i.e. the lastnames doesn't have to match).

Thats one of the beauty of QF FF program over any other is the free points transfer, you can pool a lot of points together from friends who only travel once in a while
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Plat, DL Plat, FB Plat, UA 1P, VA Plat, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by xaliasx
The points transfer is meant to be strictly between family members. However there is no reason why you can not transfer points to non-family. The online points transfer has no checking system to tell if its a family member or not, as you are only transferring from one QF FF # to another. (i.e. the lastnames doesn't have to match).

Thats one of the beauty of QF FF program over any other is the free points transfer, you can pool a lot of points together from friends who only travel once in a while
There is no reason except that its against the rules of the program...
Even if you don't care, do it enough and they'll shut you down.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: QF Gold
Sorry to bump an old thread, I guess I thought it best to post in an existing topic rather than start a new thread.

When you put through a transfer request to a family member, how long does it take approximately to show in the other account? Also, will I need to verify my relationship in any way? (I'm looking to transfer to a sibling who has a different surname)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.