Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL - YUL-HNL - 1746 CAD / $1290 USD r/t - Domestic First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

New fare filed today (2024-03-28)! Delta Air Lines - Montreal, Canada (YUL) to Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL) - 1746 CAD / $1290 USD roundtrip in domestic first.

I don't post many deals marketed by Delta because they are generally expensive, but this is actually a pretty good deal at just under 12 cents USD per mile flown and a total price point around 1700 CAD, which is a just a bit more than what Air Canada / United will price flights from YMQ / YTO to Hawaii when they discount them. This deal isn't the most useful for somebody chasing status, but if you already have SkyTeam status you can enjoy your perks on your trip!

Ticket must be issued by March 31, 2024. This is technically two one-way fares and there are two versions of this fare. The first is for travel from September 1 to October 26, 2024 and the second has a base fare $1 higher and is for travel August 19 to September 1, 2024. No stopovers permitted and two connections allowed in each direction of travel.

I should also mention that in the fare rules Delta has done their best to ensure you don't step foot on a widebody aircraft or receive actual Delta One service!

Crediting to Flying Blue
54 XP (Cost per XP - $23.89 / 22.17 EUR)

Crediting to Virgin Atlantic
120 Tier Points (Cost per TP - $10.75 USD / 852 GBP)

Total Mileage by Route
Below I have calculated the total mileage for each possible route you could fly and the cost per mile for the shortest and longest routes.

YUL-JFK-SEA-HNL-SEA-JFK-YUL - 10844 Miles - 11.8130 cpm USD
YUL-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-YUL - Impossible
YUL-DTW-SEA-HNL-SEA-DTW-YUL - 10248 Miles
YUL-DTW-LAX-HNL-LAX-DTW-YUL - 10104 Miles
YUL-ATL-SEA-HNL-SEA-ATL-YUL - 11690 Miles - 10.9581 cpm USD
YUL-ATL-LAX-HNL-LAX-ATL-YUL - 10970 Miles
YUL-MSP-SEA-HNL-SEA-MSP-YUL - 10030 Miles - 12.7717 cpm USD
YUL-MSP-LAX-HNL-LAX-MSP-YUL - 10058 Miles

1738 CAD / $1281 USD Roundtrip
CA-US - 918 CAD / $676 USD One-Way
US-CA - 1161 CAD / $856 USD One-Way

As of the time of this post, the following Departure Dates work -
Spoiler

And the following Return Dates work -
Spoiler

Google Flights
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...7Kj9Qgtf1SkRi7
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...tJpuoS9HDBwwa7
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fW4EU8TGCEUUS8

Fare Rules
Spoiler

Screenshots
Spoiler

Routing Rules
Spoiler

Full Fare Rules
Spoiler

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA
You sir are The One. Like seriously, tell us, do you work for an airline? Do you get a commission? You've done more for this forum than anyone I can recall in recent memory. You are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:31 pm

Also available from YYZ.
And available with WS.
cruser1 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
Also available from YYZ.
And available with WS.
Yup! It does work from YYZ too. YYZ is a bit closer to Hawaii so the cost per mile will be slightly higher, but that shouldn't matter for these flights since you're not earning based on distance flown.

WestJet segments can be added departing YUL or YYZ. The flights are still marketed by Delta though. WestJet hasn't filed a similar fare unfortunately, so if you're crediting flights to Delta you'll earn MQD's based on spend, not mileage flown.

Google Flights - YYZ-HNL
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...XGRqsuwjW8w1fA

Spoiler

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PookieMalibu25
You sir are The One. Like seriously, tell us, do you work for an airline? Do you get a commission? You've done more for this forum than anyone I can recall in recent memory. You are greatly appreciated.
Ha! Nope! My day job is in tech for a financial services firm, not at an airline or even in hospitality. I don't sit at work for an airline trying to figure out how to rig airline pricing models to produce error fares! Thanks for the compliment though!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by cruser1
I don't sit at work for an airline trying to figure out how to rig airline pricing models to produce error fares!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:06 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Does DL have any wide-body flights to HNL these days?

The trick with UA at the $1,600-$1,800 CAD J was to book the worst connections possible wait for the likely probably schedule change and rebook onto the EWR-JFK 764...

Add the days, and a great milage run to boot.
cruser1 and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PLeblond

The trick with UA at the $1,600-$1,800 CAD J was to book the worst connections possible wait for the likely probably schedule change and rebook onto the EWR-JFK 764...

That's what I tend to do These fares from Canada have been around for a long time and are indeed the best way to get from the East Coast to HNL Book something crappy and then wait for a schedule change. Delta is even more generous with schedule changes - had one a few weeks ago (2 mins!) that delta.com let me re-book on a lie-flat
cruser1, PLeblond and curlingfan like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:36 am
Original Poster

PookieMalibu25 I like the GIF! Haha!

Originally Posted by PLeblond

That was the trick!

DL is flying widebody aircraft to HNL, but with this fare they have done their best to make sure you don't fly on one by saying you can't fly many of the routes in individual widebody aircraft like you can't fly ATL-HNL on an Airbus A330. Every route where Delta offers actual Delta One service to Hawaii is with a widebody and for most of those routes it's with a Boeing 767, which has an unpopular business class seat (still beats economy in my opinion!)

HNL-ATL - Delta One Service
Airbus A330-300 Daily

HNL-JFK - Delta One Service
Boeing 767 Daily

HNL-MSP - Delta One Service
Boeing 767 Daily

HNL-SLC - Delta One Service
Boeing 767 Daily

HNL-SEA
Boeing 767 - Now to May 6, Oct 27 to End of Schedule
Airbus A330neo - Apr 9 to Jun 5 - See DL - HNL-SEA-MEX/MTY - $547+ one-way - Business (Suites) - FlyerTalk Forums
*This fare ends Oct 26, so they put a widebody on the route the day after this fare ends, but all widebody flights are still sold as First, NOT Delta One

HNL-LAX
Boeing 767 Daily, sold as First, NOT Delta One

Last edited by cruser1; Mar 29, 2024 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:11 am

Does it work out of ywg?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tbuff
Does it work out of ywg?
Yes, it does, with a slightly lower base fare.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...JmhniKwXPMt1P9
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cruser1
DL is flying widebody aircraft to HNL, but with this fare they have done their best to make sure you don't fly on one by saying you can't fly many of the routes in individual widebody aircraft like you can't fly ATL-HNL on an Airbus A330. Every route where Delta offers actual Delta One service to Hawaii is with a widebody and for most of those routes it's with a Boeing 767, which has an unpopular business class seat (still beats economy in my opinion!)
Yeah, this is one of myriad reasons why DL is so terrible to the islands - you can't reasonably get home on this fare without an ultrashort redeye. The UA fares like this can be routed via ORD or DEN with little issue.

However, the schedule change strategy can work - wait for a change and plead to get rebooked via a more easterly hub despite the fare rules violation.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:11 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, this is one of myriad reasons why DL is so terrible to the islands - you can't reasonably get home on this fare without an ultrashort redeye. The UA fares like this can be routed via ORD or DEN with little issue.

However, the schedule change strategy can work - wait for a change and plead to get rebooked via a more easterly hub despite the fare rules violation.
Although easier to book on widebodies, UA Fares are usually several hundres more, if not $1k per person. Good deals on widebodies YUL-Hawaii are now rare, or have convoluted 2 stop connections and long layovers
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark

You don't usually get a widebody on the discount UA / AC fares either.

Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Those are AC fares and require AC flights. The UA fares are much more flexible. For example, a CAD 639.00 base fare just fell outside of the AP window (fly by 27-Apr, 30-day AP) on YYZ-OGG, with no issues routing via ORD or DEN.

Even USD 2k round-trip from YYZ booking into D (current YYZ-HNL base) is a very fair price for that high of a booking code.

But my broader point is that Delta systemically prohibits flying scheduled Delta One service on reasonable fares, whereas UA has no such policy. Not to mention, UA actually flies to neighbor islands from its non-coastal hubs, something DL can barely claim.
cruser1 and PLeblond like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.