Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:09 pm

Are folks still seriously consider CAI being a viable departure port with a major war being so close? Even without a war, this airport lost 2 large pax aircraft in the last decade, indicating weak or non-existent air defenses!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by BDA shorts
FYI the RTW fares are still up. Currency updated so the fares are very slightly more expensive but still otherwise good. I just booked a second trip for myself.
Could you (or anyone else) please post an example of a working RTW fare?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Are folks still seriously consider CAI being a viable departure port with a major war being so close? Even without a war, this airport lost 2 large pax aircraft in the last decade, indicating weak or non-existent air defenses!

What an odd post

The facts are wrong, the conclusion bizarre
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

What an odd post

Very odd! Many flights from Europe to Asia route through that area to avoid Russian airspace as well, so I guess those should be avoided too!

China Eastern (MU) finally repriced. No more $1800 roundtrip flights to Australia or $1100 roundtrip flights to Japan or $800 roundtrip flights to China.

Ethiopian (ET) and Royal Jordanian (RJ) have corrected slightly.
ET - CAI-EZE - $1583 roundtrip - https://www.google.com/travel/flight...biTTxqhtdY3A66
RJ - CAI-HKT - $1038 roundtrip - https://www.google.com/travel/flight...YSSfnHj55kkuE7
ET - CAI-NRT - $1410 roundtrip - https://www.google.com/travel/flight...XTkrgzXrCLXmV7

Last edited by cruser1; Mar 9, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold
speechless at this one lol
cruser1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:09 pm

Could you clarify what was wrong with the facts and conclusion? If this is off topic, feel free to PM.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
LATAM CAI-ASU/MVD/... fares are fully refundable, and for everything else there's Mastercard OMNI/PR
kalderlake and cruser1 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by stageworks
Cant see to re create your itinerary. Can you post screenshots?
You can even get it a whopping *£24* cheaper than the screenshot Dog250 posted if you move the LHR-CAI leg to 23rd May!

(I need to do a few more posts before I'm deemed safe to post screenshots or links. My cue to stop silently lurking)
​​​​​
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dog250
And in fact you can save the additional princely sum of £24 if you move the LHR-CAI leg to 23rd May (via WAW on LOT).

There seem to be a couple of other dates at least available as well if you play around with the multi city tool on GF - e.g. CAI-DOH-GRU-ASU 25th May; ASU-GRU-LHR 31st May; LHR-WAW-CAI 2nd June for GBP932.

(Need to stop lurking and do a few more posts before I'm allowed to include links and screenshots!)
GalaxyChris, cruser1 and Dog250 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar
LATAM CAI-ASU/MVD/... fares are fully refundable, and for everything else there's Mastercard OMNI/PR
Hahahaha!
zahir2020 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Could you clarify what was wrong with the facts and conclusion? If this is off topic, feel free to PM.
"this airport lost 2 large pax aircraft in the last decade, indicating weak or non-existent air defenses!"

I'm not aware of any major accidents at Cairo airport this century, apart from a cockpit fire in an EgyptAir B777 on stand at T3: hull loss but no fatalities.

Your conclusion, that Cairo airport is unsafe, is baseless.
135pilot likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:23 pm

"this airport lost 2 large pax aircraft in the last decade, indicating weak or non-existent air defenses!"
I'm not aware of any major accidents at Cairo airport this century, apart from a cockpit fire in an EgyptAir B777 on stand at T3: hull loss but no fatalities.
Your conclusion, that Cairo airport is unsafe, is baseless.
2015: Metrojet 9268 -- everyone (224) killed
2016: MS 804 -- everyone (66) killed
others
For the record, I was comfortable last year flying from CAI. But flying near or through a war zone should at least warrant a discussion.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:42 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jacktat
And in fact you can save the additional princely sum of £24 if you move the LHR-CAI leg to 23rd May (via WAW on LOT).

There seem to be a couple of other dates at least available as well if you play around with the multi city tool on GF - e.g. CAI-DOH-GRU-ASU 25th May; ASU-GRU-LHR 31st May; LHR-WAW-CAI 2nd June for GBP932.

(Need to stop lurking and do a few more posts before I'm allowed to include links and screenshots!)
Looks lik you can do an open jaw too.
fly to ASU and return from MVD.
jacktat and zahir2020 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
That is just so incorrect as to be practically dangerous. I just flew out of there. It is a ghastly airport for passengers to fly from - but to talk about air defenses is, quite honestly ridiculous.

I might inquire whilst I am about it what this has to do with Egyptian devaluation and its impact on air tickets.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Mar 10, 2024 at 4:33 pm
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Dog250
Looks lik you can do an open jaw too.
fly to ASU and return from MVD.
Which OTA are you guys using the buy such tickets on LATAM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.