Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR/WB : SEA to JNB or CPT from $2562

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Several months ago a similar fare existed from the East Coast to South Africa, don't recall seeing it from Seattle in the past and it seems like an acceptable fare with probably other cities available across Africa. The fact that Qatar now uses Avios makes it more attractive than in the past....

Qatar and RwandAir from Seattle to Johannesburg or Cape Town, South Africa via Doha and lots of hopping across Africa with RwandAir on a narrow-bodied Boeing 737. These are sold as WB codeshares so complicates the crediting of the miles significantly. Still decent price for Q Suites from Seattle to Doha and back...

Seems that only Qatar is the place you can credit these miles, from their website Privilege Club members can earn Qmiles when flying on RwandAir marketed and operated flights. P fares earn 125% of distance as miles.

Even if these flights have extra stops you would earn miles as SEA-DOH-KGL-CPT (30238 miles) or SEA-DOH-KGL-JNB(28596 miles).

Avios is the new currency for Qatar and these can be transferred to other Avios programs such as British Airways or Iberia at a 1-1 ratio.

Seattle to Johannesburg

Seattle to Cape Town

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page. Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals
vistaril and Maple Red like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Plat, AS 75K, AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Thanks for posting. I booked and ticketed SEA to CPT on Booking.com

All six segments were booked into A class, as shown on QR website. I wonder if I'll be able to earn mileage/points based on A fare
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by vistaril

All six segments were booked into A class, as shown on QR website. I wonder if I'll be able to earn mileage/points based on A fare
You'll earn based on RwandAir A fare booking, not QR A fare.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by vistaril

You booked for First Class ? How much ? Does First class comes with fully flat lie seats/beds ? RwandaAir, are they any good ?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
A is discounted Business on RwandAir, here is the Qatar website.. In general seems that WB has picked some odd fare classes E is one of the highest Economy classes above B or M. Most have YBM in the same bucket or am I mixing things up since it's before my coffee? Haha
Qatar Privilege Club site
Old Oct 4, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Plat, AS 75K, AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
I just want to give an update on my booking.

I purchased my ticket on Booking.com on 9/26, subsequently registered my information with both Qatar Airways and Rwanda Airlines' website.

3 days later on 9/29, I received emails from Qatar and Rwanda separately informing me all six of my flights were cancelled. Okay, it wasn't a schedule change, or one of the segments was cancelled, but the entire itinerary with all flights was cancelled.

I contacted Booking.com subsequently on 10/3 for a full refund, and that's when the frustration started.

I first called their Customer Service line.

1) After telling agent #1 (name omitted) the full story, he told me that I needed to be transferred to their flight change/cancellation department;

2) Was transferred to agent #2(name omitted), restated the whole story, was told I needed to be transferred to their flight change/cancellation department;

3) Telling agent #3 (name omitted) the whole story again, told me he couldn't handle it, I need to speak to someone at their flight change/cancellation department.

4) Guess who I spoke to for the 4th person? Agent #2! Again, he apologized and yet telling me one more time he could not handle my request and I needed to be transfer to flight change/cancellation department.

5) Let me just stop here by letting you now, the fifth person I talked to was agent #1. After I requested for an escalation to speak to a supervisor, he told me that my ticket refund is subject to the airlines fare rule which is $150 penalty, and he declined my request to speak to a supervisor.

As you can imagine, I was beyond in dismay. I didn't want to speak to them over the phone any more, because it didn't seem to go anywhere. I have been corresponding with them through emails subsequently, and I told them airline imposed cancellation penalty is for passenger-initiated cancellation, not for airline-initiated cancellations. I even cited DOT website for rules that's applicable for all US-origin or US destination flights.
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...cancellations:

"If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets. You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment."

It's worth mentioning that all my correspondence with Booking.com's now starts with "Thank you for writing to us at Gotogate in partnership with Booking.com". I wonder if that was the reason their business practice has become so shady and unethical?

I am currently requesting charge back from my credit card.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
No reason to deal with them if they're going to do this, yeah. Chargeback and let the credit card company deal with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.